Follow
Read More
I learned over xmas that younger bro has 5 community cats... not quite feral, not quite indoor cats. He suggested that I adopt the most problematic (and also most affectionate and beautiful) male cat that harassed and chased all the others around. I told bro I'd take Simon home to meet Lilah, however... if it didn't work out between the two cats, then he'd be on his way to one of the wonderful no-kill cat shelters in Chicago. My bro at first seemed to agree that was best (it was his suggestion that I take Simon to begin with), but then reneged the next day when I was to come pick him up. He's too attached to all of them, which I understand. Younger bro is officially a Cat Gentleman. 🐱😸🐱🐱😸 Five cats and growing...
(3)

Happy New Year, Ali.
(2)

Happy New Year, Send! 😘
(1)

Ali,
Getting Lilah a new cat companion is a good idea after your sad loss. When you are ready, and it sounds like the desire is there.

So many cats to choose from, with Lilah's needs in mind. Not a problematic male feral cat that harassed and chased the others around. Your generous heart for animals (and your brother) may bring trouble to your now peaceful apartment.

Like Pam said, a feral kitten can be socialized into a house cat. I brought a pregnant feral into my home and had the whole experience, the worst was finding a home for the kittens. At this time in our lives, we just need to take better care of ourselves, even though I love dogs and cats .

I think you know that, but your story was interesting. But I was wondering,
what were you thinking?
(1)

Thank you, Send. It was truly more about getting a cat (or a couple of them) out of bro's environment after I saw what the deal was there. He has a very small house and lot, and five cats seemed too many for him to care for long-term. Bro said at lunch, "You want a cat?" and invited me over to meet the cats/Simon. For everyone's sake, I would have brought him to my place. And after the first moment of chaos in my home, which I figured would happen (but I didn't say that part to bro), he would be taken to a great cat shelter here where kind souls could determine if he's ready for a new home. Simon would probably do best in a one-cat household.

I told my bro this -- that I would "try" him and then if it didn't work out, I would take him to a well-reputed shelter. I think that's why bro went back on this the next day, because he thought I was going to take him to a shelter. He read me right. I had no plans of keeping another cat long term, but I was open to it if Lilah and Simon got along.

They seemed like mostly nice cats. Simon reminded me of Divo -- the way he came right up to me for rubs and was sassy to other cats. They all looked clean and healthy, and tipped ears indicated they're fixed. Simon didn't hiss/scream at or connect with the other cats, just ran them out of his immediate area when they came up. He has a 'tude. lol

He didn't seem like a mean cat that would attack others (my previous roommate's little nightmare was one of those cats and showed it RIGHT away), but was more puffing and flexing on Simon's part... ruler of the roost... big cuddly guy who wants to be the boss. Lilah is mostly shy/sedate and Divo and her clicked in their opposite personalities. I thought I'd try it out based on Lilah's history of being a bonded pair with a similar personality.

But, yes. It was to help others, and not what I wanted to do.

It was an interesting day. I sat there wrestling with my own feelings of not wanting this responsibility, as I petted the cats, but I had my way out planned in my mind and figured it would be best for the cats and bro.

*Lilah was feral as a kitten. I don't know how old she was when re-homed. She's been a great pet; an ideal indoor cat because she's always so calm and easy going. Agree that some feral cats can be great house cats!
(1)

Ali at this point hubs has left 2 of the "teenagers" in alot of the time also, along with furby. They are all well behaved, use the litter box, and seem to get along well with our elderly housecat Merlin. They mostly seem to want to eat and lay around on the rugs and couches, and are very friendly. I think they are happy to be warm and well fed, and so mind thier manners. Our Chug sometimes seems a bt jealous but she is also liking playing with them, nicely of course. It could work out!!
(4)

Thanks for answering back, Ali.
I knew you would have an explanation.

I still miss the great personality of the feral cat who had kittens on my enclosed back porch. She chose to move in, I could not deny her when she was ready to deliver her kittens. Years later, she saw me when I was visiting family, and came over to say hello.

Looking forward to your success as you will be graduating!
(2)

Read about this poor cat donated to a charity, in error.😿🙀

https://townsquarenoco.com/colorado-cat-hides-in-recliner-donates-itself-to-thrift-store/
(3)

The whole experience was interesting, so I don't mind sharing ad nauseum. lol When my bro mentioned Simon at lunch, my mom's face lit up and she said, "Oh, you have to meet Simon. He's such a neat cat!" She doesn't talk about animals this way. Well, he is a neat cat and gorgeous to boot -- a big short-hair calico with dark and orange-tan patches and crystal blue eyes. A handsome boy like that would make even the most sensible fall for him. haha He came right up to me as I walked up to the house. Showed no fear, just like Divo.

Your feral mama captured your heart, too. There's something special about some of them.
(1)

o Wow.
I have been looking for a recliner!

Thankfully, the owners were found.
(2)

Yes, Ali, there are 'some of them' like that.
And they find me.

All other cats could care less that I exist.
(1)

Rocky, the fussy eater, likes beef jerky. She also ate a little baked cod the other day, She is becoming a gourmet, or maybe a gourmand! 😽
(5)

Golden, I have a fussy eater, too. Gourmand, I like that !! Usually sig other feeds the two cats in the morning, but about 10 minutes later I relay that "table 2" wants some boiled chicken =^..^=

Thank goodness boiling raw chicken is pretty easy to do once a week. In the past, we use to have to go to the grocery store at noon when the hot roasted chicken was ready. "Jesse" would enjoy that for a week. Oh, the boiled chicken needs to be organic :P
(3)

Ming is the nuttiest cat I have ever had. Never had a problem with her begging, she won't even touch people food if I offer it. Really quite puzzling to be picky and want hard, only cat food.
(2)

I don’t have a cat but a bunny (the one in my avatar), his name is Leone. I had another bunny years ago, very calm and quiet. Leone jumps everywhere, eats and everything (doors, clothes, cushions…) and I think I should have called him differently. I think he believes he really is a lion : he roars!
(2)

ff - boiled "organic" chicken. He is fussy!

glad - that's how Rocky was. She only ate dry cat food to begin with. Never had a cat like that. Pumpkin loved her wet cat food but when I put a dish down for Rocky she wouldn't eat it, so I stopped giving it to her. Then I found her cleaning up Pumpkin's leftovers. So I gave Rocky a little. Now she eats both wet and dry and is branching out to human food - as available! She likes a small treat of some vegetables (potatoes, lettuce), and, now, some human protein. Go figure. I had one cat that loved olives - would go nuts for them and another that would play with almonds in the shell, then crack them open and eat the almond.

Anche - a roaring rabbit. That's funny! He sounds like a handful, but entertaining!
(2)

My DDs puppers eats dog food at her house, but when we have her she goes on strike. Its Costco chicken or starve! Luckily she only weighs 4 LBS Our dog eats anything in front of her face! Green beans are a favorite
(2)

Tonight we cleaned out the fridge, and the ferals got thier dry food mixed with chicken, hard boiled eggs and ham and green beans! They ate every bite! It is snowing and I figured they could use the extra treats and fat. We have 3 cat houses ( no jokes please) on the deck stuffed with straw, and 3 in the garage so they should all be nice and warm as they cudddle up in them. The two teenagers who are litter trained are in, and we are deciding about Furby as he has a bad plant habit!
(6)

Hey everyone, I haven’t post in a while. My two cats are my avatar. They are now 1-1/2 year olds. I am also in the process of adopting a 15 year old female kitty. No one wants her, she is in very early stages of kidney failure. She will need B12 injections every other week which I can do myself with a prescription. She may only live 3-4 years, but I would rather provide a loving home for her during these years than to have her die alone her name is Bobbie, I will not change her name do to her age. My husband and I had a meet and greet with her yesterday. She is so loving and accepting. I hopefully can bring her home no later than next Thursday.
(10)

Good for you Sharyn. You know I'd do the same but I can't afford the vet bills. Plus I get so attached and I lost a pet almost 6 mths ago now and I still cry missing him.

I'm happy that there are kind people like you out there. It's too bad vets don't offer to help pay vet bills for their old pet shelter animals then maybe more people would adopt the older ones.
(4)

Gershun, luckily I can do most of it myself. The injections I can give myself with a prescription with chewy.com I already checked the price and it less than $10 for a 3-4 month supply. Right now the injections are all she needs later I may have to add a powder to her food and it also is low in price. Yes the bloodwork twice a year will cost the most. Once a cat is 10 years old, they should have bloodwork twice a year anyway since they age faster. I will find out and it may be something I never do again. It is hard letting them go when the time comes.
(5)

Pamz, Lilah has a bad plant habit, too. I've moved all plants out of her reach except the ones on the kitchen table, and thankfully she doesn't seem to prefer those. I put an aloe and succulent closest to the floor and she doesn't like those. RIP every fern she can get a hold of. If only I could get her to stop chewing plastic bags. If she swallows too much, she'll have to cough it up.

How are the cats doing with the winter? Sounds like they are safe with their cat houses outside. You're doing a great job with them.

Sharyn, how are Bobbie and your other 2 getting along?

Anche, I love your rabbit! He definitely seems like a handful, a very active bunny.
(2)

Ming, so funny! I am participating in a rural cancer survivor exercise research study through the medical school. There are exercises that I need to be on the floor to do. Ming does them too, in her way just rolling all over! She is a riot!
(3)

My old springer Matt used to do that. He thought it was a game and he had ro join in, It sure messes up your exercising. 😊
(2)

Messes up the exercise and my focus especially when she starts playing with my hair, or cuddling it. I am not sure what she is trying to do sometimes.😹😹😹😹
(1)

Hi Ali, there is progress with the cats, the boys don’t hiss at me when they smell Bobbies scent on me , Lol! It’s going to take time. They are very curious about Bobbie so that is good.

I hope school is going well for you.
(3)

My Miss Bobbie Sox is holding her own. Her kidneys are functioning as best they can. The prednisone did help bring her white count down but it is still too high. She most likely has an intestinal cancer or IBS. I’m continuing giving her the prednisone every other day. The vet suggest I feed her kitten food since it has more calories. She is an eating machine. This indicates she is not getting enough nutrients common with an intestinal disease. The only way they can be sure if it’s cancer or IBS is to do a biopsy on her intestines which I feel at her age is very invasive and not necessarily in her best interest. She is the best kitty, so affectionate, she has a loud cranky sounding meow which throws off my other two kittys thinking she is angry
(5)

Ali I just saw your post! My little ferals have all made it through the winter! We still have an issue sometimes with Furby, but foil around the bases of the larger plants have helped! And once in awhile hubs forgets to chase the others out so I come down to find a random cat in the house!! But luckily its the same "extra" big boy,, so at least I can watch for him. And I am having to change the litter box ALOT more!
(2)

The newest member to our household, who we have had for 6 months now, I think I named her wrong. She should be called Edwardnette Scissor Hands.

The cat, Miss Molly, we are still trying to figure her out. She's about 3 or 5 years old, looks like a panda bear mixed with a skunk, and quite over-weight.

She had come to county shelter via a court order, so she had been taken from her owner. I believe maybe because she is short-legged [not a munchkin according to the vet] that maybe the owner was trying to breed her to eventually have munchkin short legged cats.

With her short legs, she cannot jump up on so many things like regular legged cats. We know how cats love heights. It took her awhile to finally be able to just jump onto the bed. With her weight, she tends to roll off the bed when washing. When she runs down the stairs, she usually can't stop at the bottom and rolls into the wall. Oops.

There are so many things I haven't been able to teach her.... like if a door isn't open wide enough for her, how to open it herself. She will just sit there. Our other cat [he's 11] is always opening up doors through-out the house.

But she is one cat who is not afraid of the vacuum cleaner, she will sit and watch us vacuum. While the other cat is hiding under the bed or in the basement.
(3)

FF, maybe a set of cat steps would help with the bed?
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter