Follow
Read More
ff - boiled "organic" chicken. He is fussy!

glad - that's how Rocky was. She only ate dry cat food to begin with. Never had a cat like that. Pumpkin loved her wet cat food but when I put a dish down for Rocky she wouldn't eat it, so I stopped giving it to her. Then I found her cleaning up Pumpkin's leftovers. So I gave Rocky a little. Now she eats both wet and dry and is branching out to human food - as available! She likes a small treat of some vegetables (potatoes, lettuce), and, now, some human protein. Go figure. I had one cat that loved olives - would go nuts for them and another that would play with almonds in the shell, then crack them open and eat the almond.

Anche - a roaring rabbit. That's funny! He sounds like a handful, but entertaining!
(2)

I don’t have a cat but a bunny (the one in my avatar), his name is Leone. I had another bunny years ago, very calm and quiet. Leone jumps everywhere, eats and everything (doors, clothes, cushions…) and I think I should have called him differently. I think he believes he really is a lion : he roars!
(2)

Ming is the nuttiest cat I have ever had. Never had a problem with her begging, she won't even touch people food if I offer it. Really quite puzzling to be picky and want hard, only cat food.
(2)

Golden, I have a fussy eater, too. Gourmand, I like that !! Usually sig other feeds the two cats in the morning, but about 10 minutes later I relay that "table 2" wants some boiled chicken =^..^=

Thank goodness boiling raw chicken is pretty easy to do once a week. In the past, we use to have to go to the grocery store at noon when the hot roasted chicken was ready. "Jesse" would enjoy that for a week. Oh, the boiled chicken needs to be organic :P
(3)

Rocky, the fussy eater, likes beef jerky. She also ate a little baked cod the other day, She is becoming a gourmet, or maybe a gourmand! 😽
(5)

Yes, Ali, there are 'some of them' like that.
And they find me.

All other cats could care less that I exist.
(1)

o Wow.
I have been looking for a recliner!

Thankfully, the owners were found.
(2)

The whole experience was interesting, so I don't mind sharing ad nauseum. lol When my bro mentioned Simon at lunch, my mom's face lit up and she said, "Oh, you have to meet Simon. He's such a neat cat!" She doesn't talk about animals this way. Well, he is a neat cat and gorgeous to boot -- a big short-hair calico with dark and orange-tan patches and crystal blue eyes. A handsome boy like that would make even the most sensible fall for him. haha He came right up to me as I walked up to the house. Showed no fear, just like Divo.

Your feral mama captured your heart, too. There's something special about some of them.
(1)

Read about this poor cat donated to a charity, in error.😿🙀

https://townsquarenoco.com/colorado-cat-hides-in-recliner-donates-itself-to-thrift-store/
(3)

Thanks for answering back, Ali.
I knew you would have an explanation.

I still miss the great personality of the feral cat who had kittens on my enclosed back porch. She chose to move in, I could not deny her when she was ready to deliver her kittens. Years later, she saw me when I was visiting family, and came over to say hello.

Looking forward to your success as you will be graduating!
(2)

Ali at this point hubs has left 2 of the "teenagers" in alot of the time also, along with furby. They are all well behaved, use the litter box, and seem to get along well with our elderly housecat Merlin. They mostly seem to want to eat and lay around on the rugs and couches, and are very friendly. I think they are happy to be warm and well fed, and so mind thier manners. Our Chug sometimes seems a bt jealous but she is also liking playing with them, nicely of course. It could work out!!
(4)

Thank you, Send. It was truly more about getting a cat (or a couple of them) out of bro's environment after I saw what the deal was there. He has a very small house and lot, and five cats seemed too many for him to care for long-term. Bro said at lunch, "You want a cat?" and invited me over to meet the cats/Simon. For everyone's sake, I would have brought him to my place. And after the first moment of chaos in my home, which I figured would happen (but I didn't say that part to bro), he would be taken to a great cat shelter here where kind souls could determine if he's ready for a new home. Simon would probably do best in a one-cat household.

I told my bro this -- that I would "try" him and then if it didn't work out, I would take him to a well-reputed shelter. I think that's why bro went back on this the next day, because he thought I was going to take him to a shelter. He read me right. I had no plans of keeping another cat long term, but I was open to it if Lilah and Simon got along.

They seemed like mostly nice cats. Simon reminded me of Divo -- the way he came right up to me for rubs and was sassy to other cats. They all looked clean and healthy, and tipped ears indicated they're fixed. Simon didn't hiss/scream at or connect with the other cats, just ran them out of his immediate area when they came up. He has a 'tude. lol

He didn't seem like a mean cat that would attack others (my previous roommate's little nightmare was one of those cats and showed it RIGHT away), but was more puffing and flexing on Simon's part... ruler of the roost... big cuddly guy who wants to be the boss. Lilah is mostly shy/sedate and Divo and her clicked in their opposite personalities. I thought I'd try it out based on Lilah's history of being a bonded pair with a similar personality.

But, yes. It was to help others, and not what I wanted to do.

It was an interesting day. I sat there wrestling with my own feelings of not wanting this responsibility, as I petted the cats, but I had my way out planned in my mind and figured it would be best for the cats and bro.

*Lilah was feral as a kitten. I don't know how old she was when re-homed. She's been a great pet; an ideal indoor cat because she's always so calm and easy going. Agree that some feral cats can be great house cats!
(1)

Ali,
Getting Lilah a new cat companion is a good idea after your sad loss. When you are ready, and it sounds like the desire is there.

So many cats to choose from, with Lilah's needs in mind. Not a problematic male feral cat that harassed and chased the others around. Your generous heart for animals (and your brother) may bring trouble to your now peaceful apartment.

Like Pam said, a feral kitten can be socialized into a house cat. I brought a pregnant feral into my home and had the whole experience, the worst was finding a home for the kittens. At this time in our lives, we just need to take better care of ourselves, even though I love dogs and cats .

I think you know that, but your story was interesting. But I was wondering,
what were you thinking?
(1)

Happy New Year, Send! 😘
(1)

Happy New Year, Ali.
(2)

I learned over xmas that younger bro has 5 community cats... not quite feral, not quite indoor cats. He suggested that I adopt the most problematic (and also most affectionate and beautiful) male cat that harassed and chased all the others around. I told bro I'd take Simon home to meet Lilah, however... if it didn't work out between the two cats, then he'd be on his way to one of the wonderful no-kill cat shelters in Chicago. My bro at first seemed to agree that was best (it was his suggestion that I take Simon to begin with), but then reneged the next day when I was to come pick him up. He's too attached to all of them, which I understand. Younger bro is officially a Cat Gentleman. 🐱😸🐱🐱😸 Five cats and growing...
(3)

We left our baby feral Furby in the house today alone with our Chug Chloe,, for the first time. We are trying to socialize her into house cat,, and it seems to have gone well . She is normally in for a few hours, in the morning and evening. She likes it inside so so far so good! Two of the "teenagers" come in for breakfast and dinner, and seem to want to stay in.. We'll see how it goes. The other 18 are strickly outside
(4)

Thank you Ali! I still miss my Daniel so much. True what you said about my sister. She was just being who she is.
(3)

Thanks, so much, Ali. Missing Sherlock, Merlin and our huge Maine Coon, Nick.

My daughter in law, who is working from her parents' home in Wisconsin while helping raise her SIL and brother's 4 little kids (he is deployed in Iraq) had to put their 18 year old dauchshund down on Tuesday morning.

Very hard for her and my son to be so far apart right now.
(3)

Every time I notice again how much weight Delilah has lost since Divo passed (no more gobbling up the daily wet food set out for him), I think about him again, but thankfully I'm not sad. He had so many issues and was a big responsibility, and I was always worried about him -- his health or how he'd react to something. He had quite the personality and expressed it so often. But my lingering feeling is peace because it was like watching an elderly person decline over several years, and at some point, it was so much better for him and for me that he move on to his next lifetime. Which of his nine lives was it he had with me, I wonder. :-)

Newest roomie is so pleasant and considerate, and loves cats. I can see 'LilahBean has a new friend and I'm happy that's a good fit.

Wishing everyone happy memories -- Barb, Golden, and everyone else who's lost their pet this year. Chriscat, that was a really nice thing your hubs and neighbor shared. Gershun, it would have been the supportive thing for your sis to say something, anything, to acknowledge your loss. Your unsupportive sibling is just doing what they do, sounds like.
(4)

Remembering our pets will bring some bittersweet memories over the holidays. 🎄
(2)

Thanks Gershun. Arthur will spend the winter with us in the house, and I will put him in the garden in the Spring, where he enjoyed lying in the sun and terrorising the local mouse population! Our son is back from Uni on Saturday. He will be upset. He knew when he left in October that he might not see Arthur again. I remember one of my old cats dying when I was at Uni, and it was awful. When you lose a cat you've had for most of your childhood and into adulthood it feels like a double loss: it's the end of your childhood as well.
(3)

Chriscat, we didn't keep Daniel's ashes. Instead we got his footprint on a little ceramic thing the same color as him. But I remember it was hard even going back there to pick that up.

I'm sure Arthur appreciated all the love you gave.
(2)

Chriscat,
Arthur will be remembered by all the pet lovers here.
Sorry that you are missing him,
and picking up his ashes.
(2)

Your post, Gershun, is welcome here.
Sorry that Daniel could no longer be with us,
but he is,
in memory on this thread and in our hearts.
(3)

Gershun, I totally get where you're coming from - be kind to yourself and do what's best for you. Today I collected Arthur's ashes from the vets. Not sure how I would feeI but I was ok. The vet had written and enclosed a lovely card for us, totally validating our grief and reminding us that we had done the best for our cat. A little compassion goes a long way...
(4)

Chriscat, there has always been a real disconnect with my siblings and emotions. But I was hurt that my sister chose to say nothing when I told her about losing my sweet cat Daniel. I always knew she was callous but was still very taken aback. So much so that I'm seriously considering skipping Christmas at her place this year.

I've just about given up on my siblings. It truly feels like an ending. An ending of what I don't really know but an ending nonetheless.

I believe that at least two of my siblings are narcissistic sociopaths to be honest. Hard to accept but once I accept it and move on I think I'll be better for it.

Sorry for posting this on the cat thread.
(4)

As many of you know we have a feral cat "colony" of about 20 cats, living around our house. We are now down to the last 4 kittens to be fixed and tipped,, and hooray we have found homes for two of them! DDs friend wants them for her son, and they have picked out the 2 they want and came over last night to play with them. They will pick them up next friday as Mom works, and they will be all fixed then ( saving them about 200 a cat!) Friend just bought her first home, and they are so excited,, have bought all the needed things and had all the talks about not letting them outside. Her small son is so gentle with them, and one warmed up quickly. Wish them luck!
(7)

Thanks Golden. And Gershun, I just saw your post on the "On My Mind" thread about your sister being unable to offer sympathy when your dear cat died, and how this upset you. Only today we had an example of how a little sympathy goes a long way. My DH was in the garden when one of our neighbours was taking his puppy for a walk. DH explained that Arthur had passed away earlier this week. Our neighbour had known Arthur as he would see him in the fields, hunting mice. He was so sympathetic, and explained how upset he and his family had been when their much loved other dog had died unexpectedly in his sleep a few months ago, and how horrible and overwhelming the loss had been. This was two 50 something men, bonding over the grief they'd both experienced, unafraid to bare their emotions, and I could see that my DH was really comforted by our neighbour's empathy. I think it is better to try to find the words and say something, rather than say nothing for fear of getting it wrong.
(6)

We've chosen to not replace Daniel. Henrick adored him and is old himself. He may not react well to a little interloper and I don't want to deal with the possible fallout if it did not work out.

Instead we're going to let old Henrick live out his days as A-number one cat around here.😽
(7)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter