Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
I think cats are stoics. Sounds like you have a plan. :)
(2)

That's the thing, golden. He never seemed uncomfortable. I brush him all the time and he has never winced, even with the big infected spot on his skin. He didn't scratch at anything. The infection was buried under hair and brushing him only gets at the top layers, I didn't see the matted hair underneath.

I will do more baths and brushing in the future and maybe even have him shaved short again, if vet recommends, and start over with a proactive skin care plan. He's always had this very oily, flaky skin and I haven't known how to care for it.
(3)

ali - glad his skin is healing. He must have been uncomfortable.
(1)

Divo's spots are looking better after anti-fungal cream, especially the one that really concerned me. Vet emailed but didn't set an appointment. I'll monitor things for now. He seems fine, like always. He's such a cheerful cat despite any physical problems or indignant treatment (like baths). lol

Thanks for the tip about witch hazel, ITRR.

My friend thought his name was Old Man Cat because that's what I call him when I talk about him. lol Didn't realize the nickname came off as his name. He reminds me of a bossy, opinionated, demanding old guy... in a very cute cat way. :-)
(2)

Ali, witch hazel is great for any skin conditions, from fungal to bacterial. Put it on with a cotton ball or a spray bottle several times a day.

You will see results within the first day, seriously this stuff is amazing.

I had a vet tell me about it because I was getting fed up with the 150.00 for a 1oz tube for treating a skin condition that wouldn't clear up. Within a week it was better, within a month it was gone, never to return. After a year and a couple grand on western medicine i spent less than 5.00 to clear the problem up.

Best of luck getting this dealt with.
(1)

Sorry to butt in. I had a big concern today.

I bathed Divo, my 22yo. I found several things of concern. One infected spot hiding under his fur really sent me into a tizzy earlier. I called my vet but they are closed today, so I sent them an email with pics and I'm sure they'll respond asap. I was so concerned that he may need emergency treatment that I subscribed to an online vet consultation service and asked for input. That wasn't so helpful because all they said was, "Looks bad, could be bacterial; go to your vet." No kidding. :-/

I suspect it's fungal in origin after comparing pics online. I need pro input on how to prevent this going forward. My other cat doesn't have any of these issues. During a vet trip a few months ago, the vet didn't say anything about how Divo's fur is very oily and gets matted, how his skin flakes, nothing about skin concerns... so I thought it could be normal for an older cat.

Welp. I was/am upset. I will be much more proactive in the future about cleaning poor Old Man Cat. He hated the bath, it was traumatic for both of us lol, but he seemed fine afterwards and the spots aren't painful for him. I've been cleaning his spots and putting anti-fungal cream on several times today and I'll be taking him to vet asap. I will ask how to care for him better and prevent this.

My "elder cat care" is starting to resemble elder human care more -- with new issues to consider -- all the time. :-) I don't mind, I just need to know what to do.
(2)

Barb, so sorry to hear about your lovely old cat. The loss of a beloved family pet can be every bit as devastating as losing a human. Some years ago, I sat and stroked my 17 year old cat, Henry, while the vet euthanised him. My husband said he couldn’t have been in the same room, but I wanted to be with him and comfort him until the very end. I made the right decision and I would do it again. It was very peaceful and I felt he had the death he deserved: to bow out quietly and without fuss after a lifetime of being a lovely pet.
I too have a cat called Merlin, a lovely intelligent black cat who is now 14 so getting on a bit. He’s just been diagnosed with Inflammatory Bowel Disease so is now on a special diet. I also have a tubby tabby called Arthur. He is very clingy so frequently drapes himself around my neck whenever I sit down. Watching TV is like wearing a big thick scarf indoors and I have to peer over the top of him to see the TV screen. It’s quite obvious who is in control in our house!
(3)

Pam,

Merlin is a cute name for a cat who magically appears. I know someone who named a kitty, ‘Extra’ when he showed up one day. She already had a couple of cats, so this one was the extra one! LOL
(3)

So sorry barb it is so hard to lose a pet. I still get teary at times thinking of Macy that died three years ago. She was so sweet.
(5)

Barb.

I would say that I have the same outlook on caring for an animal as you.

It does help to have a good vet. Our vet is a long time friend. His children and our children attended the same school, in the same classes, etc. They were always at our home or we were at their home. We live in the same neighborhood and attend the same church.

Even when our youngest daughter went off to college in another city, she drove back home to see our vet with her little poodle that she rescued. Her dog had Cushing’s disease in his older years. She was so torn as to what to do. He took meds but did not respond well to them.

I absolutely loved what our vet said to our daughter when she was questioning treatment. He told her that he had a patient come in and scream, “I hate my dog! Just euthanize him now! I can’t keep cleaning up accidents all day long!”

He told my daughter that her dog was very old. She loved him so much and he knew without a doubt that this woman didn’t ‘hate her dog.’ She had been a great with her dog. She was merely exasperated with the situation and was upset about having to put her dog down.

Anyway, he told my daughter, “Your dog is very old. He has an incurable disease. You have been wonderful with him. Don’t wait until you are so frustrated that you feel as if you hate him.” That advice really helped my daughter to make the decision to put him down. Poor little guy was starting to have accidents all day long too.

I get sad when I think about all the greyhounds that were euthanized before the adoption groups found homes. We had a wonderful grey that we adopted from, Greyhound Pets of America. That dog stole my heart! He lived until 13 years of age. He LOVED my mom. She loved him. She used to say that they understood each other because they were growing old together. They did have a very strong bond.

He was so smart! Mom said that he could tell time, hahaha. because he would stand in our foyer everyday, just before my daughter would arrive home from school, just waiting for her to play with him. It was the sweetest thing.
(4)

Barb, we've spent so much money with my two boys. Daniel and Henrick both have had mast cell tumors that if not removed can become cancerous. Daniel has had at least four removed. Henrick had one on his toe last year that required his whole toe being amputated. He adjusted almost immediately to that. But thousands of dollars later. I can't ever pat them without feeling around for more lumps. Thankfully they have both been lump free for a year now. Thank you God!

But, if I ever felt that their quality of life was being compromised I would do the right thing, however hard that would be. I've seen people taking animals in to the vet where the animal looked like it was on it's last legs. I know it's difficult but in the end doing what is best for your pet is important.
(4)

Thanks, Gershun. It is interesting, I have mostly had to make quick decisions in the past about euthenizing animals due to accidents, severe injuries and the like. I've never had a pet with this kind of slow decline.

Our vet (I've been taking animals to him for 20+ years) hypothesized from a scan that this was a tumor, not in a place where it could be needle biopsied. He would have had to have major abdominal surgery and that just seemed...cruel.

When I was a kid, our Collie got hit by a car on Christmas Eve. We were pretty poor and my dad hauled Lucky into the vet and said "Doc, do what you can...for $25.00".

The dog survived with conservative treatment.

I try hard to tread the path between not causing unnecessary suffering and not doing stuff on the cheap.
(6)

Barb, so sad for you and your Merlin. I've had to make that hard decision with pets I've had. It's a tough decision but the right thing to do. The alternative would be to let your little friend suffer. So, you did good.
(4)

Barb, thanks for sharing. It's a pleasure to read your accounts of cats and kids. Very cute and touching.
(4)

Just so you all know, I have two other cats; Sherlock and Dumbledore. I will try to post pictures at some point. They both seem very subdued today; Dumbledore, who was never very fond of Merlin, had been grooming him almost constantly for the last week or two. Really amazing. Again, thanks to you all. My grandson, who will be 9 in a few weeks had a good cry this afternoon and then watched "funny cat videos" according to my daughter. Not sure how the 4 year old is going to react, will find out when she comes next week. Sorry for the ramble.
(7)

Barb we also have an elderly Merlin! He just magically showed up one day as a kitten,, hubs opened the garage door and he strolled right in,, and has never left. I am so sorry for you,, this is hard
(4)

Just now reading this.

So very sorry for the loss of your precious Merlin, Barb.

[[[[[Hugs]]]]]
(5)

Thank you all for your love and condolences.
(6)

Barb, that must be so hard to watch happening, and have to make a humane decision. x

Old man cat seems fine most days but he struggles with his footing sometimes. I just try to care for him best I know how. Sometimes I feel under-informed of how to take of such an elderly cat but he seems happy enough from day to day.

Golden, I am concerned about weight loss, especially since I've added laxatives to his daily meals. It's a very small amount and vet recommended it and I can see it makes him more comfortable. He will always lick up any gravy even if he doesn't each much food, so finding a way to get more food into him seems important. He likes the different wet food; he just doesn't eat more than a couple bites at a time. I bought the cat broth because it was inexpensive to try, but I'll get him some cat gravy and see how that goes.

Old man cat has always been very skinny and his previous mom said he's always been like this, not to worry. But... I still do. lol He looks skinnier past few months to me. I may have to get a digital scale so I can see what's happening.
(5)

I am so sorry Barb!
A long long time ago our vet suggested the same for our German Shepherd. It was so hard! She was my best friend... But vet said trying to cure her at that stage was just make her agony longer. Our pets absolutely become members of our family.
(3)

Barb,

I am so sorry for the loss of your kitty. They become a part of our family and are missed when they die.

I love my vet too. He handed me the entire box of tissue when I started to cry. My cat was 16. I loved her so much.

I told my vet, “She’s such a wonderful cat and loved us as much as we loved her. I will miss her curling up next to me.”

My vet replied, “She has been a great cat. I know how much you love her and how she loved you. You are showing her your love now by not allowing her to suffer.”
(5)

(((((Barb))))) I am so sorry about the loss of your precious Merlin. Ending the life of a pet is a hard decision. The guidance of a trusted vet at these times is invaluable. I am sure your M C had a wonderful quality of life for the years he was with you and his passing will leave a big hole in your daily existence.
(4)

This morning we had to put Merlin, our 13 year old Maine Coon down. He was down to 6 pounds (his normal weight was 16-18 pounds) and he could no longer stand up.

I have a very compassionate vet who has always given me the best advice about when to treat, when to watch and when an animal's quality of life is no longer sustainable. I am always grateful for his guidance.
(10)

Personally I wouldn't use the human gravy mix for a cat. Is he losing weight on his current diet? I would try some of the various wet cat foods.

Poor old man cat. I think mats are uncomfortable for them. I have never bathed a cat. When we got Rocky she was covered in mats. She was essentially a feral cat on the farm. We cut the mats out and she really appreciated it. Both Pumpkin and Rocky got a few mats in the fall and more this spring. Rocky has a very thick undercoat and she gets more mats. She seems to have learned that I need her to be quiet when I am cutting mats out and is very good about it. Pumpkin, on the other hand, I have to "trick" by playing with that part of her coat a few times to get her comfortable and after a few aborted tries I have been successful i snipping the mats out. I use blunt ended scissors.

Had to laugh. The last grocery order brought purple potatoes instead of Japanese sweet potatoes, I boiled some and mixed some mashed in their food as usual. Pumpkin ate the lot. Rocky managed to eat the cat food and leave the mashed purple potato behind. She is particular!!!

Good luck with the bath!
(3)

Old Man Cat didn't like the cat beef broth. If I put it in with food he otherwise likes, he turned up his nose. Ok, I got the hint and threw the rest out after trying several times. (Will he like it if I warm it up? No. Will he like it if I mix some in with pate? No. He didn't like it at all, wanted nothing to do with it.)

I still want to come up with a gravy topper that encourages him to eat more of his food. He's a really picky eater more and more. I wondered about using regular gravy mixes from grocery stores and whether that would be ok for his cat systems. I could thin them out. I could try one and see how he reacts. Seems that onion is something you want to avoid feeding cats, so I would check the ingredients first. Is this a crazy idea or a "hm, you could try it and see" idea..? I'm not sure.

He really likes gravy so if I can find some he likes and put it with his wet food, I'm hoping he'll eat more than his usual few bites.

He's getting a bath at home very soon, too. I have a lavender dandruff cat shampoo that I ordered for him and it will take at least two baths to get him cleaned up. I've been planning it out: use a plastic basin that he can stand in and hopefully I can contain him in, too. If all else fails I'll use several towels to wash him with, swaddle style. His fur is just too matted, despite brushing. Baby wipes don't make a dent in the grime.
(1)

Kittens are the best!
(6)

SharynMarie,
Have the ducklings hatched yet?
Interested to find out about them.
(2)

Hello everyone! I hope everyone is having a pleasant weekend. It’s very windy here in my part of Idaho.

My kittens are 9 months old now. They are so much fun. Hokus and Pokus love to play with cat springs I get from Amazon. We have a cat tent they love playing as well. The tent was originally to be used as a secure place to put the kittens outside in the shade. They literally shredded one corner of the mesh windows and got out in 45 minutes. So use it only in the house now. We live in an area where birds of prey fly over from spring to fall so we don’t let them outside.

we also have a female mallard duck that decided to make a nest in our front flower bed. She has 11 eggs. The kittens will get in the window and watch the duck. Hopefully the eggs will hatch in another couple weeks. From what I understand, this mama duck or her ducklings will come back year after year to nest. I’m undecided at this time if I want this to be a yearly thing. I may have to rearrange my flower bed. It’s not her nesting that has me undecided, it’s once the ducklings hatch, she will be leading them back and forth all summer from the nest to water daily. It makes it hard to garden with them here. I need to decide what to do.
(5)

Martz, yes! That's him. I was just looking at that pic and realizing it was taken 2.5 years ago, when I first moved into current apartment and I kept a chair by the bed so he could crawl up with me. I adopted him and his bonded pair sis about 3.5 years ago. His old mom said he was 19 at the time... which would make him 22 now, I guess. He's doing great overall.

Your black kitty is very cute! I like his golden eyes.

I'm trying the new cat broth out mixed in with his wet food the past few feedings. I'm not sure he's a fan. lol Time will tell.

I'm going to try some plain canned pumpkin, too. That's easy enough.
(2)

Thx, cw I have heard that. I must try them on a few other veggies like pumpkin.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter