Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
My lovely cat Todd, three years old when we got our first dog, discovered Eukanuba Puppy and asserted his right to eat first at meal times. I swear that stuff's got steroids in it - he looked like a small lynx by the time we moved on to adult dog food.
(3)

Pam you wicked woman!!!!!!!

My sister offered to take a litter of baby white mice off a colleague. For a similar reason. When she realised what the plan was the colleague was outraged.

Oh! - Do you mean a battery-operated toy gerbil, or a live one raised intensively?
(1)

CM that is hysterical,, thank you!! Our Chloe pup got spayed 5 days ago.. with all the keep her calm, etc warnings.. Nope , not having that! Have not needed the cone,, she is not overlicking, but she is just as bouncy as ever! She has a blanket fetish, even with 4 of her own and the other dogs,, she keeps dragging big blankets from other rooms all over the house. We think she is bored. I actually considered getting one of those battery gerbils that kids play with. God help me!
(3)

Thanks, you guys! I appreciate all these good BTDT tips. There was a point yesterday where I was ready to put them on the street with a "FREE TO GOOD HOME" sign lol. (Not really, but we're still figuring some things out, for sure.)
(2)

CM, very funny cat book!  Very true...  

Divo and Delilah have shared a household for many years. They had much more space before, though, so now it's close quarters...

...and this is why giving them separate litter boxes or separate anything is difficult, as space is limited.  I'm already scratching my head as to where their crate is going to be stored. But they get along well enough that they'll hide out in the same closet, in very close space together.

And I'm ok with them taking time to adjust. I'm not ok with urine, feces, and vomit, but I didn't realize how particular the older one is when it comes to his needs. NO weird food, NO new type of litter box (and I bought the scented litter and I'm considering he may not like it...), NO NO NO. Or else. lol

Their old mom came by this morning and brought their old litter box, a high-walled step-in box that will work for what I want (to keep litter relatively contained) and obviously they are used to it. I think the three of us - me and 2 cats - are going to be just fine, but it is a process, like FF said.

And maybe the older one does have some health issues.  Me and his old mom talked about this.  I need another week, at least, to observe when he has the right food and his old litter box.  
(3)

AliBoBali, it can take months for a new adult cat to adjust to a new home, all the new smells, new noises, and who is this human that now has us. My Rosie took 6 months before she has finally adjusted as she was 12 when we got her in December.

If you have 2 cats you really need to have 3 litter boxes, the open kind, and no scented litter, all my cats had dislike the scented stuff. I used Cat Pride clumping litter that comes in the lime green plastic bottle. And I need to scoop out whatever at least twice a day. I found just moving one of the litter boxes to a more private location had helped, my older cat didn't like having the new cat watch him when he was in the litter box :P

For cat food, thankfully the previous owner told the SPCA that the cat liked the Iams Hairball Control, being she is a Norwegian Forest Cat, she has a lot of hair. She also will now eat Purina One hairball control and "maturity" selections. Boy, that hairball food really does work !!

The hard part of a new adult cat is to find a place that they like to sleep. Rosie must have tried 30 different places until she finally settled on one. But I need to change her blanket every couple of days. When my old guy Charlie, 18, slept on it the other day, she refused to use the sleeping place, guess she didn't like that old man smell :P I had to get out a new blanket for her.

Rosie likes playing with the clothes-line rope. I will drag it behind me and she will attack it. She started to warm up to me once I started doing that. Rosie really likes my sig other, he's the only one that can brush her, which is usually 6 times a day. And catnip, there is this one cloth small toy that has capnip sewn into it, both cats like it.
(4)

Ali, was Divo an only cat before he came to live with you? With all the upheaval, and the change in territory, the litter box problems may be his marking out his space or it may be that he's been looking for extra privacy. I'd try having two litter boxes, physically putting each cat in his own box a few times, and make sure they are shielded from public view - accessible but not overlooked.

Your posts made me run upstairs to fetch "French For Cats" by Henry Beard, looking for the chapter on "The Play - Le Jeu."

We have The Cat Toys - Les Jouets de Chats, including the rubber mouse, the cloth mouse, the ball of yarn, and the ball with a bell in it.

The cat toys are boring.
Les jouets de chats sont ennuyeux.

Let us turn to

The Things That Are Not, Strictly Speaking, Cat Toys, But Which Nevertheless Have Great Play Value.

Les Choses Qui Ne Sont Pas, à Proprement Parler, des Jouets de Chats, Mais Qui Ont Tout de Même une Grande Valeur pour le Jeu.

The Vase - Le Vase.
The Lamp - La Lampe.
The Knickknack - Le Bibelot.
The Little Crystal Candy Dish - Le Petit Plat en Cristal Rempli de Bonbons.

I like to play with things that are not, strictly speaking, cat toys...
J'aime jouer avec les choses qui ne sont pas, à proprement parler, des jouets de chats...

Alas, they are not very durable.
C'est la vie.
(1)

Ali,
Cats can be very strange sometimes.

A sudden food change can cause vomiting. Not always but sometimes. Eating too much at a time can cause vomiting. I have to feed the recommended amount but spread out throughout the day.

Urinating and/or pooping outside the litter box could be from changing the style of litter box, changing the brand of litter, or not cleaning the litter box often enough. Do you have a litter box for each cat?

If the urinating outside the litter box is accompanied by loud meowing like kitty is in pain, cats have urine sludge like human kidney stones.

I have 2 cats. The younger male Siamese is the offender in my house. I have had to get Vet advice or treatment on all of the above due to this guy.

I decided in the spring to close my bedroom door at night to keep the cats out. We were having a bad allergy season. The male would stand on his hind legs beat the door with his paws, yowl loudly and leave a huge puddle of urine. Off to the vet. No urine stones, no diabetes, nothing....Vet told me to open the bedroom door or she could give him kitty Prozac.🤦🏼‍♀️ I opened the bedroom door...it worked.

There is a product called Natures Miracle that does neutralize the smell and is good to have on hand for emergencies.  They have a formula specifically for cats. I’ve found the Lavendar scent not as effective as the plain formula.  I found it at Pets Mart.

Cat smells are especially offensive to my bionic nose!

Good luck with your new babies.
(3)

Ali, cats get UTI's too. I had a cat once that had the problems yours are, and it was a UTI. Then the excessive drinking, diabetes, maybe.

Ming was an issue when I got her, not using litter box. She was so sick. I kept her in the bathroom with box, food and bed for a week or two, then she was fine.
(1)

2 of my cats behaved very badly today.....
I had just come home from the grocery store and as I was putting away the groceries,I looked and looked for the big white mushroom I had purchased and when I finally found it,"Toots" had it under the coffee table and she'd chewed it into tiny pieces and earlier,I awakened to my big old boy cat's claw dug under my eye and now I have a black eye.No tellin'what tomarrow will bring.I never know what they'll pull next~
(2)

Funny you should ask me that, CW. Their previous cat-mom and I just had a FaceTime session and I talked to her about everything that had happened. She is wondering if she should get them checked for diabetes. I suggested to her that I would put everything back to the old way - bowl of water, old litter box - and monitor for another week and I think that's what we're going to do for now.

If they do fine with a bowl of water and the tray litter box, then the problem isn't health related, it's New Overload causing behavioral issues. And then I can introduce new things along with old things and give them time in between to adjust.
(1)

Have your kitties been checked for diabetes Ali?
(0)

What a difference a day makes. 😔 I thought the kitties were doing fine adjusting. They are not. 

Today I saw puddle-trails of clear-looking spit-vomit in several places in my bedroom on the hardwood floor. I see a good size food vomit patch on the living room rug. I see there is poop (yeah, I think it is actually poop, not hairball, but dry poop balls) on top of my big desk in living room and some on the rug. There is a huge amount of urine (definitely urine) soaked into the upholstered bench where I had draped a towel to make a fort for kitties.

Seeing as there are 2 cats, I'm not sure which one is the offender. With so MUCH stuff going on, I suppose it could be both. I think it is the older one, though, for the urine and poop. I think he may not like new litter box. But I don't know WHY he doesn't like new litter box, and I don't know if he needs more time to adjust to it, or he needs a simple tray box back for good. The younger one is using the new box ok, it seems.

Also, I think older one doesn't like some of my offerings on my cat food buffet and puked them back up. He is very cranky pants today, but otherwise seems healthy. I went to store and bought the wet food he is used to and set it out, but he hasn't touched it today.

I don't know which one is over drinking the water, maybe the younger because I've seen her drinking it, but one of them is drinking too much because... I filled the fountain base up a few days ago, about 1.5 liters, and it was all gone today. That seems excessive to me. These are indoor cats and they don't exert themselves and need to drink a lot of fluids, right?

I wonder if they will both adjust to drinking out of the fountain and won't drink too much now that they're used to it, or do they need a small bowl that I can monitor. That seems weird, a lot of people have water fountains for pets, so I think their over drinking is temporary.

I thought I would put them in the crate to do some cleaning up and they both REFUSED this. I can force Delilah but Divo is having none of it. I'm not giving up on them, far from it, but the wind is definitely out of my sails as far as thinking this was going well.
(0)

I have several feral cats that I adopted or adopted me as some people say.

Some eat dry food and wet food. One female cat loves catching mice/rats and eats them. My tomcat Fluffy who passed away a few months ago loved raw meat. I fed him ground chicken or pork. Occasionally he got beef as treats. Oh how he loved raw meat! He was always hanging outside my kitchen when I prepared meat waiting for me to share some pieces. I loved that boy.
(5)

Ali, some cats are grazers, they will nibble here and there around the clock. I learned from the Vet that some cat prefer just dry food because they like how it feels in their mouth. Others will prefer wet food, again because they like how it feels. I keep a "salad bar" of cat food out around the clock.

Right now my old boy Charlie likes both styles of food.... his sweetheart only eats dry food I think, unless she is the one cleaning up the wet food in the middle of the night.

Charlie will eat people food, he does like potato chips. Rosie won't take any people food.
(2)

Yesterday my hubby bought a pound of gyro meat. I heard Jacques (my 17 year old cat) yowling and talking out on the patio. Hubby shouts ‘What’s this? Some meat?’ Jacques goes berserk, at the top of his lungs demanded MEAT!

Of course we laughed and Kitty got his share. Jacques has always been a nibbler with kibble but loves his occasional treats. He enjoys hamburger and rotisserie chicken too. The gyro garlic made MY tummy growl (I can finally eat!).

Jacques used to have a ‘kitty bro’ who hogged the food and when Bodhi died at 13 years old, after Jacques greived, then he started putting on weight. We didn’t realize Bodhi was preventing Jacques from eating. Apparently the dominant cat will do this. Jacques was the runt of the litter too. He looks like a little bear now, he’s much bigger but is active. I’ve had him since he chose me to save him after Hurricane Katrina visited our area. Thirteen happy funny years.

I recommend older cats. They are calm and loving.
(4)

Let's chat about my cats, can we? :-) I'm having fun with them, tomorrow is one week now I have them. I have learned they are VERY mellow cats, in general. Perfect for me! They play some but mostly they hide in still unknown parts of my small 1 bedroom apartment, and seem content to do their own thing most of the time. Delilah is a 11 yo female and she is very sweet and cuddly, likes to get on the bed and lie around, get some rubs. Neither of them ever scratches or bites, though Divo likes to hiss a lot... not sure why. It's almost like he's saying to anyone around him "Just in case you were thinking about doing something I don't want you to do, don't try it."

I bought them an upgraded litter box, one where they have to climb on top to get into it. I hope this works to keep them from spreading litter far and wide like they have been. The water fountain is nice. It wasn't expensive and I know cats prefer running water. I've yet to see either of them actually drink from it but the volume of urine in the box tells me they are utilizing it.

Divo is skinny and I try to give him his food but Delilah eats it. I put Delilah in the crate for a bit so Divo can eat uninterrupted but he wanders away from the food bowl after a few bites. Ok... so he just doesn't have much of an appetite. As long as he seems healthy, and he does, I'm not going to worry about it.  Divo needs steps in between jumping up on things like window sills and the bed.  Delilah can do it w/o step in between but Divo can't.  So... now there are strategically placed things around windows and the bed do Divo can explore whatever, whenever.  High-fiving myself for being an awesome cat accommodator.  

The grooming gloves work well enough. Cats don't seem to particularly care for them, though. But when I give them a rub down with the gloves, it comes away with lots of hairs.

I think it's been a very successful week one!
(6)

It's far too early for me to worry about Divo, but he is a skinny one. He eats and seems perfectly happy and healthy, not uncomfortable in any way.
(1)

Cat weight talk:

I saw my trainer's cat today for first time. This thing is MASSIVE. It is so round and plump and I asked about the weight because... the cat looks morbidly obese, if adorable. Trainer said something about surgery and after that the cat gained weight. Hm. Maybe I'll ask about cat again if it's there on Friday when I go for workout. I've never known a cat that was so fat, but wasn't due to over feeding rich foods.

Moving on to my new-to-me old fella, Divo. He's quite skinny. I've been feeling along his sides as I pet him. He's thin, but not emaciated or anything like that. He does eat but doesn't seem to eat as much as the other one. I had a clear understanding with myself that in order for me to take in an 18 yo cat, I would have to be ready to draw the line if heath issues started to occur that would be too expensive. It's not a hard and fast rule, just an idea that I made clear with myself before I took them in. It's far too early to get worried about anything, but... I wonder if I should have Divo's teeth looked at...? He is quite old and he won't eat any hard food, only soft, and so I'm wondering if his teeth are ok. But what if they AREN'T ok?  What am I prepared to do then, if I get that news?  So maybe I'll just not worry about anything at all right now and wait a month or two and see if he puts on some weight with me. Former owner admits the cats were neglected due to having small kids to look after plus other pets in the household.

I like the idea of home made toilet paper tube toys for kitties.  This seems easy enough.  D & D mostly ignore the toys I bought them, but they were only few dollars.  
(1)

Only had one cat that put on weight after being neutered. Oh my gosh, she looked like a bowling bowl with legs. She did live to be 19 years old but had two strokes during her last year. It was amazing after the first stroke, she learned how to walk again with my help. But for many months I had to carry her and hold her up while she was in the litter box. She was so good about letting me know when she needed to use the box. I did keep blue sheets on her bedding just in case.

All the other cats during my life time never put on any extra weight. I don't know if it is more so depending on what breed of cat, or not. The cat that did gain a lot of weight was a short hair tordi. She would only eat dry food, wouldn't touch wet food or people food.
(1)

Pam, please be careful letting dogs eat cat food. Cat food is richer and can give dogs digestive upset. Dogs love it, I know. I have to feed my cat on top of a 6 foot high bookshelf to keep my dog from scarfing down his food. (I built a set of steps into the shelves so he could climb up and down).
(2)

Lucky Chloe is a puppy..LOL but the same rules apply I think! We just took her cone off to feed her as allowed,, boy was she hungry! We had no wet dog food, so she is eating cat food ( beef) Just a little bit. One of our tiny little feral cats got neutered last year,, he is now huge! Hubs is taking her for a walk now.. hoping this does not mess up our potty training!
(2)

pam...Good for you,getting Chloe spayed and I'm sorry she has to wear a cone.One of mine had to wear the cone too,but did just fine and was good about it and the stitches healed beautifully.
It's really sweet of your husband to care about her so much too.
I will warn you though,Chloe may put on weight easily now.Mine are all fat now,with kitten heads and cat bodies.
(2)

We just brought Chloe back from getting spayed, with the cone of shame on. Hubs is all about thinking this is silly, she'll be fine.. yep, right for the stiches, cone back on. She is still pretty dopey.. and they suggested we keep her in her playpen for the next 2 weeks.. this is never going to fly with hubs! As long as he is right with her it should be fine.. but I work the next 2 days... And knowing him he will probably sleep on the floor with her tonight,, he did with one of our cats. His heart in in the right place.
(3)

Carla one of the women I work with made Ming a toy/toys from toilet paper tubes. She attached different things, pompoms, ribbons, whatever she thought of inside. Fastened them together l, just with a rubberband placed them in a corrugated open box. My first thought was to unfasten them from each other for Ming to play with. Work mate told me no, just leave them together. I did but Ming had the same idea, they are now all over the house. She too loves toilet paper tubes with something hiding inside, or not. This was an idea she saw on Pintarest. I don't pintarest.

And this morning game. I am still in bed with my kindle and you all. Ming races through the house then races back into the bedroom, flying leap onto the bed, over the top of me, races off the other side, all while doing this little growl like noise, a few times. She once landed on me leaping onto the bed. I wasn't as flat as she thought I would be. Took the air out of me. She hasn't landed on me since. Must have surprised her too. 😈
(5)

Reading about all the kitty hijinks has brought a smile to my morning :)
(1)

My kitten loves to play with an empty toilet paper roll. Also empty pill bottles. Most cats like wine corks and pens/pencils, especially if they can skitter them across bare floors while you're trying to sleep. Also cords from the vertical blinds (they dangle temptingly near the floor) and charging cables left in the outlet not attached to anything.

My kitten will play with anything. My adult cat (neutered male) doesn't really play. It seems to be beneath his dignity. He will lie down in bed with me at night or naptime, as long as I don't try to cuddle him too much. Oh, well....
(1)

glad...That's a good one! I wish we had a ceiling fan too~
Mine follow me everywhere,wanting me to constantly entertain them.I need all the ideas for any other cat games and things to do with them that I can get.
(2)

Good game? Just turned on the ceiling fan for the first time since I got Ming. 😀😸
(1)

mally...another thing my cats seem to enjoy is a big bowl of water with 2-3 little plastic boats in it and every so often I go and stir it with a stick and sing Row,Row,Row Your Boat~
(5)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter