Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Ali,
Another good cat game is to put a fake toy mouse under the oven or the dishwasher.They like to bat it under there and then watch you get a stick and a flashlight to get it back out for them.
(3)

LL, thanks for the new ideas for my two young ones! The sheet over the table sounds good; they already love boxes, and there are enough windowsills for everyone - who needs cat toys?
(1)

hehhehheh~Good one Veronica and you're right~and isn't it just dear that they are roaming the house together at night as he courts her?Even says her name~
(1)

Luckylu there is nothing like a cute young girl to get and old man's spirits up. Had two other words to put in there but but I won't sink to new low of profanity
(4)

I'm so glad Rosie is helping your old boy with his depression freqflyer~It was meant to be,she came.
And Ali,I'm SO happy for you getting two kitty cats to love on.They will bring you so much joy,I know.Besides the toys they have,I hope they have a scratchy scratch too.You can make them tunnels under tables covered with a sheet and they love houses made with boxes covered by a big towel and they love a pile of grass brought in from outside and they love to sit in the window sill and look out the screen and you'll probably find yourself singing to them,silly songs you just make up and you will talk to them and they will chew on your toes like Holiday end's did and mine do and I'm just SO happy for you!!!Have fun with your new babies~
(4)

So Ali you have finally become a mother even if your ofspring have four legs. Think of the money you will save not having to raise the human kind. They have their own clothes, don't need pocket money, cars or college tuition. I am sure you will really enjoy them once they come out of hiding.
Put things that small of you close to where they are hiding and feeling safe then when they come our they will see you as security. Enjoy being a Mama.
(3)

SKG, I think only you can know when it's time to humanely euthanize. Such a tough decision, and a tough situation, you have my sympathy.

You've been at this caregiving business a very long time at this point, you need support. I'm glad you've joined us here on AgingCare.
(3)

SKGCaregiver with two incontinent elders. That is a very difficult position to be in. Would it be possible to make one room the cat's room. You know plastic on the floor covered with old washable rugs, sheets etc. You are obviously very fond of the kitty and you and hubby will miss him a lot. If he is still eating and drinking and seems happy I would personally hate to say goodbye at this stage. Once he begins to show distress I would not hesitate to take the kindest decision. Once it is clearly time I never wait to make that decision, mostly dogs, some cats and quite a few horses. The horses are always the hardest as they are so big.
Putting the cat to sleep will not really make your job of careing for hubby any easier so I would suggest getting more help careing for hubby so you are not so stressed. It has already been a long road for you and there is no predicting how long the rest of your journey will be. Do what feels right for you. No guilt involved. When the time has to come there will be not doubt in your mind what needs to be done. Many hugs.
(2)

Wow! SusanA and freqflyer,

I was both a "forum virgin" and a "communicator-with-other-caregivers virgin" until I wrote my post. I am dumbfounded by the kindness and warmth of your responses. It was worth the box of tissues! Thank you! Your understanding means the world to me.
(5)

SKG, many years ago I had a cat who was incontinent at the age of 20. What I did was buy a large carton of blue sheets that were "seconds" which were much cheaper then buying first quality.

I had to put blue sheets around the house, especially on the flooring. It made for much easier clean-up once I could see a pattern of where she was going. It was odd, she preferred the east side of the house. I even added more litter boxes for her but she couldn't always get to one in time :(

I can understand your situation trying to take care of two love ones which can be overwhelming. The cat does have a serious illness and you are doing the best you can. It is always so hard to know when to say "good-bye".   What a tough decision.

Cats can also sense when its owner is ill, and they can stress about that which can also have an effect on their own well being.
(2)

Ali, congrats on the new felines !!

About 6 months ago we adopted a rescue cat who was 12 years old. After a few months we thought we would need to take her back to the SPCA as she just wasn't bonding with us. She pretty much kept to herself. Then just a few weeks ago she brighten up and she has a delightful funny personality. Oh my gosh, she has us laughing so much :)

Our old guy who is 18 years old has a crush on her, and it is so funny listening to him "call" her. He can form words, and he is trying so hard to say what sounds like "Rosie come here". Of course, at 3 in the morning we can do without that !! They will meet in the upstairs hallway and roam the house at night.

Rosie has really helped the 18 year old as last year he lost his litter mate and another older elder cat due various health related issues. She has extended his life as he was so very depressed.
(3)

Ali - Congratulations on your new additions! I hope you enjoy your feline family members as much as I enjoy mine.
(2)

SKG -

I completely sympathize with the difficult situation you find yourself in re: the cat. I think I would be very concerned about keeping your husband (and yourself) healthy in light of having to constantly clean up cat waste around the house. That can't be a good thing.

I wish I could give a definitive answer, but only you can do that - if you have reached the point where it has to be your husband's care or the cat's, then you have to make a choice. It won't be easy, and I don't envy you having to do it - I would really struggle with it myself - but I think the health concern for yourself and your husband need to take top priority here. If you have to cover furniture with tarps to protect against the cat's bowel incontinence, it must be pretty bad.

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this.
(3)

I could use a little reassurance. I take care of my husband, whose health has been declining since 2001, and who is now completely bedridden. We have a 13-year old cat who shares one problem with my husband -- severe bowel disease. So in addition to my husband's toileting requirements, I have to keep cleaning the floors and all the tarps I have had to use to cover all our furniture, and every other surface where the cat is allowed. Our vet has said that, although he refuses to euthanize people's pets just for their convenience, in my case, "You have gone 1000% above and beyond with this cat, and I will be there whenever you're ready to say goodbye." My problem is that although I know his tummy is always at least a little painful (we give him steroid shots to keep him as comfortable as possible), otherwise he's a happy little guy -- very loving, very sweet. He eats and drinks well. So it feels cruel to end his life. On the other hand, I think I've finally hit the wall. Taking care of my husband is getting increasingly demanding, and after years of dealing with this, the added burden is making me kind of miserable. Comments?
(3)

ALI, I am thinking about those grooming gloves myself. Let us know how you and the cats like them.
(2)

Congratulations Ali, you are a cat-Mom now.!
(2)

✔️ Water fountain for improved hydration and happiness of cats
✔️ Catnip, toys
✔️ Case of the canned food the older one prefers over the dry food. I'm ok with getting him his favorite food. He's made it to 18 years, he should eat what he likes.
✔️ Grooming gloves with the rubber nubs, so I can rub them hairless... haha

The previous owner dropped off plenty of other supplies so I don't have much to buy and I want to get them a few treats to feel better about this adjustment of being rehomed. They seem very much mellow cats. I watched as the 4 yo daughter was grabbing the cats, picking them up, moving them around, and the cats tolerate her very well so these are some pretty chill cats imo.

Have to see how the first week goes. They just came today and so far they won't venture out from under their hiding places, so I'm just going to let them be for a bit.
(4)

ALI YOU HAVE CATSCATSCATS'! I am so happy for you. You have waited so long! Enjoy them!
(1)

I have cats! CATS CATS CATS CAT-CAT-CAT-CAT-HOUSE is at MY HOUSE, I have CATS!! I'm a bit excited, as you can read.

I had a friend of a friend who had two adult cats that needed to be re-homed for a few reasons and I offered to take them. Devo is 18 years old ( ... I have mixed feelings about taking a cat so old, but he's in good health and I'm ok with being old-cat caregiver person...) and Delilah is 11 (estimated, she's a former rescue). They are hiding in the living room currently inside and under things and I'm going to just let them be for a few days as they adjust. But....

I HAVE CAAAAAATTTTTTTSSSSSS! And I'm very happy about that. Now I'm going to go buy them a water fountain on Amazon, because I think that would make them happy.
(7)

Off on another cat transport this Sunday - this is becoming a monthly thing now, which is ok with me, as long as I can afford the gas to make the trip. It's going to be busy this weekend, though - the meet-up point is in a heavily-traveled tourist area. Oh well - I love getting up there this time of year anyway. :-)
(5)

Jacques, my old fella, climbed on the foot of my bed and played my toenails with his claws, as if my feet were a xylophone. Plunk plunk plunk...he woke me up at 3 am. :-(
(4)

So many bugs and moths to play with and chase all night. Ming is not even sleeping on my bed now. So much exercise I think she is toning muscle and losing weight.😸
(4)

So, last week on Bruce's scheduled "outing" day (he usually comes with me to massage therapy while mom's at dialysis, and then we go to the park), I was sick. This week, the power was out, and I was not climbing 6 flights of stairs to get him and lug him back down the same way, so he missed his outing again. Today I used my respite break to take him to the park, instead of going swimming like I normally do.

We went to the pet store first. I went looking for a travel water bowl, and also found a cross-body carry sling (meant for small dogs) in the same section. Well, THIS is a little gem of a product! I swear this kitten weighs almost 15 pounds by now! I also found a cross-body water-bottle holster, so I got that, too. Now I can walk around with my cat, totally hands-free! Lol. 

It was a new park to Bruce, so he was a little nervous at first. He likes the bag! I think it's his new "safe space" when we're out. So much that it took him 30 minutes to even come out of it! Finally I took my shoes off and lay down on the grass, and that prompted him to slink alongside me. Eventually he moved around a bit, sniffing grass and sticks and pinecones and a tree, and he watched some birds and bugs. He doesn't even try to go far from me - I probably wouldn't even have to hold the leash (but I do, because what if he has a freak-out and runs off?). He's actually a pretty chill little guy when we go out!

Anyway, he saw a marmot for the first time, and lots of birds....and after awhile, a couple of ducks settled in within about 10 feet of us! The male duck even had a sit down while his lady love preened and shook her tail feathers. Bruce doesn't seem interested in trying to chase anything, though.  Not even bugs. He just watches. Considering how insane the pigeons on the balcony make him, I really never expected him to be so calm outdoors.

Anyway, he's been yowling at me out of boredom for days, and now he seems quite content again.

I have to say, there really is something about a cat on a leash that makes people giggle and coo when they see it.  Like, "Oh my god, it's a cat!"  And, "Ohhh how cute!"  They would maybe just smile (or not even notice) if they saw you with a cute dog or a cute baby, but they have to express their astonishment over a cat.  I guess it IS pretty unusual to see a cat in a park.  I just posted this in another thread, but if I could get him to actually WALK on the leash, I swear I'd have fifty new friends a day! 
(4)

Our cats used to pee in hubs suitcase when he was packing for job,, they are smart! And full of plots,,
(6)

My cat's revenge. hubby left the sun room door closed so she could not get to the litter box.
She found his coat lying on the floor (as usual) and peed on that
(7)

Whoops, pam! Was editing my post to include an image while you were posting! :-)
(1)

I never thought of that Dori,, thank you! When she gets neutered ( in the very near future) I will remember that! Her head is about the same size as her neck ( That is the Chihuahua part of her)..
(1)

Happy belated Birthday, Mama Bootsie!

pam - if you get the kind of cone that has loop tabs at the base (this is usually the basic plastic one the vet would normally hand out), you can attach it to the collar part of a harness and it stays on. I had to do this with Bruce when he had his hernia surgery. The harness was the only thing that prevented him from getting the cone off!

Edit:  this is the cone style I mean: 

www.mvtimes.com/mvt/uploads/2017/10/Cone-head_Reni_-_dog_in_Elizabethan_collar.jpg
(1)

The diapers were,,, amusing... I never saw a dog chase it's tail for 15 minutes before,,, was able to distract her with a new toy for about.. 15 seconds...
(0)

It is amazing how quickly a female cat recovers from her hysterectomy. I know the next day after mine, I wasn't running full blast through the house and playing with things :P
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter