Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Typical cat, you purchase new flavor of cat food that comes in a box of 12 cans, and new box of chicken broth to try out. Well, the boy turned his nose up to both items. Will try again another day. I find the food looks and smells pretty good, so I don't know what is his problem :P Oh, maybe that is the problem, it smells good.

Thankfully my car pool rider has cats and feeds stray cats, she will take whatever food my critters refuse :)
(4)

Actually, you guys have me thinking - since Bruce is not allowed on the balcony (a kitten on a balcony 6 stories above concrete? Nooooooo), I might put a bird feeder out there so mom and Bruce can both enjoy the birds.
(2)

One of the bluebirds that was hatched here a year or two ago showed up yesterday; too early, since it was right in the middle of a snowstorm, but it came right up to the porch and sat with us.... so cute - hope it makes it! We also had a buck deer with a HUGE rack eating sunflower seeds out of the bird feeder - he was gorgeous! We got pictures!
(3)

Dorianne...you might be surprised when the
birds discover your garden!
(2)

Spring is definitely arriving. There is a starling (or starlings?) roosting in the roof of mom's balcony, and pigeons actually nesting under a chair out there! Last year I found an egg that had been kicked or taken out of the nest under the chair. It had a beak-sized hole pecked into it. I would love to know that story....was it the starling? Or maybe a gull? Crow? (I have to take nature as I can get it, up here on the 6th floor at mom's....so birdwatching it is.) (Those darned birds are in for a big shock when I plant a garden out there this year and put an end to their reign over mom's unused balcony.)

All of this is driving poor Bruce insane. At age 7 months, my mighty hunter has yet to have a "kill" of any kind - not even a moth or a spider has breached the walls of this sterile sky castle! - and he wakes me up to tell me about it every d*** morning! It doesn't help that the head of my bed here at mom's is RIGHT up against the windowsill that has the best view of the starling. He likes especially to lay on the sill, above my head, meowing loudly and twitching his huge, fluffy tail across my face!
(3)

Congratulations Susan, on your new little furrball doggy!
So happy for you!
(2)

Husband took a picture of 4 of our cats asleep on the bed, with the troublemaker in the middle, snoring! Amazing!
(2)

Dorianne, that is funny about Bruce. Good boy :)

I had a black/gold cat that use to do that to anyone who came onto the property. She would hide in the bushes and comes out in that Halloween stance, moving sideways. Believe me, no owner walked their dog on our front lawn ever again !! If I knew the UPS driver was coming that day, I would keep that cat inside the house.
(1)

So the other day, mom was too ill to go to dialysis, but I already had a couple of medical appointments booked. Not wanting to leave mom alone, I asked my BFF to come sit with her while I went out. I picked BFF up and dropped her off here at the door with the key, then raced off to keep my first appointment.

Well! I guess at the discovery that it was not ME coming through the door with the key, little Bruce fluffed up ALL his fur and came hustling sideways towards the door with a snarl on his face! Ready to rumble!!  He quickly got over it once he realized who it was. But oh boy, that little guy was sure determined to protect his grandma from any strange intruders!

(Edit:  "Little."  Lol, it's kind of a joke to call him that anymore.  At 7 months, he is the biggest kitten I've ever seen!)
(2)

Susan, that is wonderful that you have a new buddy :) Sounds like he is settling in pretty quickly. That's great !!
(5)

Susan we were never small dog people either, until DD got the Chihuahua. We were hooked after that! Our new puppy is a Chug ( pug and chuhuahua). The can get all their exercise in the house if the weather is crappy, and we have found you can take them places you can't take a bigger dog.. like vacation! They don't crumple up the back of the couch ( where ours like to lay, like the cats) And I think once your pup settles in and feels more secure you find a bark in there! Chloe did not bark the first week or two we had her,, then she "found her bark"! I am so happy for you!
(3)

Well, I finally caved. After I made the trip with the shelter cats 2 weeks ago, I had some empty carriers to return to the shelter, so I went up there Saturday, and while I was there, I looked at the dogs. There was this wee little ball of energy that just really caught my eye - first because he was just so dang cute and energetic, and second because he had the same name as my recently-passed dog. But so much smaller! We're talking not even 1/10th the size of my old dog.

I thought about it and thought about it, and when his picture popped up on the shelter's Facebook page, I just decided I would see what they thought about doing a foster situation until I could decide if I wanted to adopt him (though I was pretty sure I did). He came home with me and just settled right in - he's snoozing on the recliner right now. He loves to go out for walks and because he's small, he gives me another reason to get away from the computer several times a day because he has to go out more frequently. He hasn't barked - not even once - since I brought him home, which surprises me - he was very vocal at the shelter and had a really high-pitched, sharp bark, so I was a bit concerned about that. No bark at the mailman, at my friend who stopped by to meet him or anyone else. As annoying as my larger dog's barking could be sometimes, I was glad he notified me when someone came into the yard or the driveway, because he'd hear them before I did. I'll just have to get used to this, I guess.

I've never had a small dog or considered myself much of a small dog person, but he's working his way into my heart.
(7)

Gershun...about a year before my Mother died,I found Mother's diaries she had kept every single day from age 12 to 25 and there inside those wonderful pages was my parents love story.How they met,their engagement and marriage.Mother and I went through them and she answered my questions and told me about restaurants that no longer existed,etc. I could see the memories in Mother's eyes as we read and I was glad I found them before she left.
I find my parent's writing beautiful and comforting too.I'm glad you found those cards from your Dad to your Mom.I know they're priceless~
(3)

HolidayEnd, ditto for all the above comments. Get yourself checked out. Keep us informed.
(2)

HolidayEnd - if you have been sick for a month, not eating, and retching or vomiting, you may have an infection. It's imperative you get checked out! If I were you, I would get myself to the ER right away. If sepsis reaches your internal organs, it will be VERY dangerous.

I'm speaking from experience. I almost died at home of a kidney infection once, not knowing how sick I really was. And if you have back pain already, you may not be able to tell if you have a problem with organs like your kidneys, liver, or gall bladder (often a cause of back pain as well, if those organs are inflamed and/or infected).
(3)

Definitely get yourself seen. You are probably dehydrated and your electrolytes will be messed up which is very serious and can be life threatening.
(3)

HolidayEnd,
So sorry that I cannot help you, and I don't know you, but your post cannot be ignored.
If you are still that sick, and on the floor after falling over kitty, call 911.
If your daughter has abandoned you and your parents have hit you, call APS.

If you have many concerns, start a new question so someone can help you unravel things.

If you are ok, and just venting on the cat thread, let us know here. There is so much on your recent post, it is not really just about Kitty, is it?

You could be very very sick and not realize it because of vomiting.  Call a doctor, or 911.
(4)

I’ve been sick for a month, the last 2 weeks I’ve not been able to eat much so I’ve gotten weaker and weaker. I try to eat but end up retching more than eating.

I have chronic severe back problems that I’ve managed to improve until both my parents have hit me as hard as I’ll let them to ‘wait on them’. I believe my daughter has decided I’m just trying to push everything on her. She’s not speaking to me.

Well, it happened. My beloved ‘kitty’ got my feet tangled and I fell, I am hurt and still can’t swallow.

This middle of the night fall just wrecked ‘kitty’ he was so frightened! He’s better now, he’ll let me pet him and I’m so glad. That’s about my only pleasure these days. We love our baby animals so much.

So am I having a nervous breakdown or what? Comments? Help.
(1)

Daniel,
Silly Cat!
Get down from there!
(2)

Gershun,
It would be nice to read of your parent's romance.
I kept my father's letters to me-it was so long ago.
(2)

Yes, kitty I met is the same as my avatar.
Looking on lost/found, someone posted they found this cat nearby, and are feeding it.
That is why it wasn't hungry.
If I see it again, I should rescue it because there are coyotes. Then, keep trying to find it's owner. Not sure.
(3)

Is that the black and white cat on your avatar Send? She looks lovely.............uh oh!
(3)

Speaking of cats behaving badly. My Hubs and I were putting up some very old china of my Mom's that I inherited, in our kitchen cabinet. We left the door ajar. Who should be sitting up there but my cat Daniel. He is a bit of a chunky monkey. Don't know how he managed to get in there but thank goodness we discovered him before he destroyed all Mom's nice china.

Speaking of my Mom's stuff. I was looking through some of it and I found some cards my Dad had given my Mom. He wrote so beautifully and sounded so romantic. He called her "my beloved" I must get it out and post some of it on here one day. I was so touched.
(4)

Then, at 6 p.m. a beautiful Black and white cat came by, said hello, it is a tame female, wrapped herself around hubs's legs, rolled over for a pat, stayed for a bit of turkey.

Uh oh.

Uh oh.

Uh oh.
(6)

My wild pet squirrel, named Ritatouille came by today. She obviously has another family to visit, who have trained her to beg, so she doesn't come by everyday.

It is a break time I am still happy to take, and there is no poop to clean up, I think. Not sure after all those peanuts!
(1)

Lol, CM, that's kind of where my thought process went as well!

Budgies have such tiny little poops anyway.
(0)

Well if you were a tiny little budgie and you suddenly found yourself in a swamp of cake mix, how you would react? Never mind. A hot oven for 30 minutes will have killed off any pathogens. And what the eye doesn't see, the heart doesn't grieve over...

CW my eye flicked ahead so I misread that as you being "grown and grey at the muzzle." I was going to say I know just how you feel!
(4)

Corgis will also herd anything that moves - including small children - by nipping at their feet and ankles to get them to move. I took my late Corgi to ONE parade - she tried to leap out of my arms so she could herd the 4-H group horses as they went by. No more parades for her.

I *almost* had a new dog today - he was the same color as my late pup, but totally different breed and about 1/16th the size (Boxer/Shepherd vs Dachsund!) - and the kicker? He even had the same name. I was *so* tempted, but didn't have the money for the adoption fee, so I guess that was the universe telling me it wasn't time yet.
(2)

Ha ha, Pam - I still wonder to this day if he had a poop in there!
(1)

Dori,, that is what friend are for.. to share our funny and slightly wicked stories! At least he didn't poop!!  ( Or did he?  evil laugh inserted)
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter