Follow
Read More
Dorianne get a spray bottle and fill it with water and give him a squirt when he gets out of hand. That or one of those cans of compressed air they sell for getting the dust off computers. My daughter had an out of control male cat (neutered) and you just had to pick up the can and he was gone. They really hate that. My little girl is not agressive and respond to "No"
(3)

H'm.

All the veterinary websites say dogs do not need snow boots and their paws will not freeze (unless you do something stupid and cruel like leave them tethered outdoors below -16º or something). They can get frostbite but only after prolonged exposure to extreme temperatures.

Dog doesn't care. It's cold and hard and slippy and he doesn't like it.

The trouble is, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't much care for non-slip hiking boots @ £25 the pair, either; and I'd just be stuck pulling along a dog still on his bottom but with reflective boots on for added humiliation.
(5)

You could get him a Staffordshire bull terrier to play with? - I've just been wasting far too much time on YouTube watching kitten-Staffy interactions :)
(5)

I've been trying the scruff of the neck thing, too, CM. Doesn't seem to have an effect. He is currently sulking under the bed. But at least he's stopped for now!  Bet he'll be all lovey-dovey in about an hour, when I'm sleeping.  

Putting a lot of hope in The Big Snip, lol. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll have to talk to the vet about Bruce's aggression. He really just wants to play! But that's the only kind of play he wants right now.

Which is typical "boy," really. I have twin stepbrothers the same age as me. When they were 12 (when we all met), they used to wrestle up and down the hallway all evening long!  Even board games had a touch of violence.  "You got the Ace/King!"  *smack*  "You got Boardwalk and Park Place!"  *whack*
(2)

I sympathise with the (very) occasional impulse to smack, Dorianne. Try picking him up by the scruff of the neck like his mother would.

Confession time: I once smacked a chicken. Pointless, yes - completely pointless, she even looked at me defiantly with a "what was that?" expression on her face - but I was outraged. She had just flown over a half open barn door into the utility room where her main rival's second-in-command was in quarantine, being tended for suspected egg-binding, and beaten her up. That hen had not a shred of compassion about her, nothing but an iron determination to win at all costs.

I shut her in the shed and left her there all night to reflect on her wickedness. That didn't work either.
(4)

GA - I was in a long term relationship with someone who had a giant dog - part Bernard, part Akita! He ADORED me (the dog, lol!), and it was so sweet. He'd put his giant head on my lap and stare up at me with those gorgeous brown eyes. His face was the size of a dinner plate! And yes, he had the big lolling tongue and loved to try to lick me. I longed to put a little keg of brandy around his neck and have him bring it to me, lol.

ff - I'll check that out for sure. Made it to the pet store today, as I needed regular food and also some fresh toys for the young demon kitten.

New pic of Bruce is my new profile pic! Took it Sunday...he may be the least photogenic cat I've ever been owned by.

Pam, how is little Chloe doing with the toilet training?

Bruce really is getting fighty. Mom complained of it when I got home tonight, and told me I needed to "bring him in line." I'm like, I TOLD you he was fighty, I TOLD you I was working on him, just put him in the laundry room if he goes after you! But she's all upset like I'm the one who's made him this way. Um. He's a boy. Kitten. 4 months old. Not yet neutered. Hasn't gotten to kill anything for real yet, not even a moth. This is what they're like. He'll get better when he's fixed.

He's mad at me right now because I was gone all day, and then he just wanted to bite-fight when I got home. He WON'T listen to the stern no. And when he gets in THAT mood, almost nothing stops him. I actually had to give him a little whack on the head and throw him out of the room. I don't believe in hitting, but this is getting out of hand. I'm going to have to get water pistols and a holster, I think.

The funny thing is, with my old girl cat, she just has to look at him and he rolls over in submission. 

Dang, I REALLY hope getting him neutered helps!!! Three more weeks.
(1)

I've seen this thread but haven't participated as I no longer have pets, but just skimming through the latest posts made me realize how lighthearted and uplifting it is.

So...I'm wondering if anyone has any of those large dogs, such as a Newfoundland or St. Bernard? For some reason, I think they're just adorable, especially the ones with their tongues hanging out.

I met 2 Newfies touring an annual arts and crafts show; they were delighting the other visitors with their friendliness and massive, soft, furry and strong bodies. My father and I both love dogs, so we gave the 2 Newfies lots of hugs before they moved on to become acquainted with other arts and crafts lovers.
(3)

Our cat loves those temptations treats also. I love it,, Kitty Crack!
(2)

It sounds as though it's Veronica's hubby who is soft and cuddly, not the cats. (lol lol)
(4)

Veronica, sorry; I didn't mean to upset anyone.

Perhaps your cat likes your husband because of his ample warmth? As I recall, my cats were also snuggled up on my lap as well. I loved that feeling! They're so soft and cuddly.
(3)

Oh GA don't make me cry!
I had a cat called Fred and when we moved he spent two days on our bed. never left not even for food or the bathroom.
My current cat when I have been away for long periods as in hospital refuses to have anything to do with me and prefers hubby who I must admit has developed a big soft belly
(4)

I've been remembering my two cats ever since reading this post last night.

Occasionally when I'm working up in my "studio", I find little fur balls on the fabric, reminding me that one sweet furry friend was at one time napping on the fabric.
(4)

Dorianne, lately I have been order cat food and treats from Chewy.com. Prices are less then some grocery stores, and delivery is super quick.
(3)

freqflyer - yes, yes they can! Though I think the bites on my chin and nose are more "love bites," the way cats do....which maybe is what makes it harder to get him out of it, because he thinks he's being all lovey-dovey!

GA - I know what you mean, my girl cat was pretty upset with me when I started staying with mom. I still don't think she's really happy. In the new year, my friend is ending his sublet of my apartment (new job out of town), and I'm going to try maybe going home for the weekends, with the cats. Not sure if that will make things better or worse for them! Better for me, anyway.

I've run out of Temptations, but my leg hurt so much this weekend I haven't gone to get more. OHHH the trouble I am in around here! Every time I make a bag crackle they are two feet away from me, staring with big saucer eyes.  What do they put in those things anyway?  Temptations are like kitty crack!
(1)

FF, congratulations on the newest member of the family.

After reading some of the posts here, mostly the ones about cats, I think you all should write a book about cat antics.

I miss my two, now long gone. But with being gone so much to care for Dad, I really don't want to get another cat now, or even until after I move. My two were traumatized when I moved from an apartment to a house, although they eventually got used to the new space with all the places to hide and jump on.

Bernadette had quite the adventure when she got outside and promptly climbed the Colorado Blue spruce in my back yard, then was too frightened to come down. And this was just the time I had to leave to catch the bus for work.
(2)

Dorianne, LOL that is funny about Bruce. I remember how a kitten can make a toy out of anything, and I mean anything.

As for the play fight with your chin and nose, say in a very stern voice "NOT NOW"... for some strange reason all of my cats throughout the many many decades knew what that meant. Usually it works at that point in time, and it's back to square one the next day :)
(2)

Miss Midget doesn’t want to sleep, Mr. Tiger doesn’t want to sleep so I don’t get to sleep. Misbehaving pets are not cute at 4:30 in the morning! Tiger needs bootsie and the kitty crew at Luckylu’s house to play with.
(5)

Aww, welcome to the family, Rosey!! That's awesome that Charlie is excited about her! My old girl Carmella is still a little POed that I brought kitten Bruce home....

Pam, that is cute, ha ha! The best part of little ones is watching their excitement when they figure out new things!

Bruce is just about 4 months now and he is going through a "fighty-bitey" stage. He is being real stubborn about it too! I try to play with him with fishing pole toys, but they seem to be just boring him now. He will attack my elbow if I'm sitting on the bed, attack my fingers any old time, and the worst is (I KNOW he is just trying to be lovey) he loves to try to gnaw my chin or nose. I can avoid the chin/nose bites most times, but his favourite time to try this is in the morning, when I'm sleeping. He gets all purry and snuggly, and then makes a lunge for my face!

I'm not sure how to break him of this, he's really resisting when I tell him NO. Hissing at him hasn't worked. I've pushed him on the floor, evicted him from my room....but it doesn't stop him from wanting to "love bite" me and play wrestle. Too much testosterone maybe? Looking forward to The Big Snip come the beginning of January, if that's the case!!!
(1)

It is funny watch wild child Charlie trying to impress his new house mate [our newest cat member to the household], we named her Rosey.

Well tonight he was trying to get her attention while lying on his side in a desk chair. Then he hissed at her, then he started coughing.... well, that's impressive, son. Lesson learned, don't hiss while lying on your side.

It's been awhile since Charlie needed to impress a young lady, so he's a bit out of practice. Couple days ago he tried a Halloween stance with Rosey, but it didn't work out very well.
(3)

FF and Pammzi,
Congrats, so many happiness wishes for you and your pets.

My hubs has weighed in about the squirrel, a few weeks too late!
Riattatouille
Ritatouille
Rhiannatoulle

????
(4)

Freq Maine Coons are awesome! Our one feral is part Maine coon, and she is lover! I am on a Chihuahua adoption site, and we were going to apply once. They had rules such as "you must have someone home all day".. What?? How do I pay the dang vet bills?? On the plus side, Chloe found her bark today! She is so adorable and what a loud bark from such a tiny dog! She was playing with hubs and it just came out..she was so excited! None since, but it's starting
(4)

Sendhelp, today we went to the county animal shelter and adopted a beautiful 12 year old cat, Maine Coon Mix. I was amazed at the difference in my wild child "Charlie" once I brought her home. He woke up from his old man sleep and was like a kid again, and kept looking at me like he was saying "thanks, Mom".
(6)

Yes Ali, Lol!! My sil thinks it was because of having 2 toddlers. Crazy stuff and they are much better off with the golden retriever puppy. They are much better family pets.
(3)

Basset hound... You mean the dog that the cartoon Droopy is based on, where the dog talks very slowly and is very lazy? And they were supposed to show more enthusiasm for that breed?
lol Just struck me funny, Sharyn. I'm picturing this super calm basset hound dog (no puppies are calm, I don't think lol) and your dd is supposed to be overly enthusiastic about it. :-D

FF, that is very odd about the cat adoption place.  Consider adding your own negative review if you feel they warrant it.  Something doesn't seem at all right that you were denied to adopt a cat that needs a home.  Most adoption places can't find enough willing people, so to tell you that no, you can't adopt, seems really strange.  

I want to go get a kitty.  There are several great open adoption places here that I can go to and have a cat pick me out, but it's just not time yet, I have so many other things going on, but... there is no blessing quite like a fun pet for positive company. :-)  I like all your stories.  
(4)

Breeders can also be difficult. My dd and sil were turned down for a basset hound puppy because they did not show enough enthusiasm for the breed??
(3)

Sendhelp, i am seeing the same thing with my wild child "Charlie", he's quickly becoming an old man cat as he misses his two housemates so much. I hope new pals will reverse his decline.

Oh, that cat rescue place I posted about on the prior page, I checked internet reviews and found the reviews were all pretty much negative. Now I wonder how many of these cat rescue places that foster cats, and asking for donations, are using said donations to pay for food and vet... and the cats don't get adopted.

Many of the reviews the future fur parents were turned down for one reason or another that didn't make any sense. Plus their application asked questions that are way too over board, like if you get pregnant will you give away the cat? Really??? And if you don't follow the procedures, like letting the cat outside, the agency has a right to take back the cat. Get real, all my cats were indoor/outdoor and lived to be old enough to go to college.
(5)

ff,
You are probably correct-the explanation for why the cat is not available doesn't fit.
So they are probably not on the up and up. Hate it when they play games.
Another poster went through this looking for a dog, and just the right dog came along.

Hope you find a kitty soon. When my 12 y.o. dog was declining, I got a 9 mo. old puppy.
The companionship and exercise kept her going for 17 years and reversed the decline!
(4)

We are ready to adopt another cat, a senior, to give my 17 year old cat a buddy, and a rescue cat to give a loving home. I fell in love with the most adorable sweetie on this one local rescue website and filled out the application. Also checked out the County Animal Shelter but there weren't any good matches.

Today I got an email saying the cat wants to be an only cat in the household, plus since our other cat goes out, it wouldn't be easy to kept one in and the other one out. Serious??? Really??? I never had any problem with that in the past 40 years of having multi-cats in the household.

I wrote back the reason I had interest in the cat was that her bio said she was good with other cats, and there was no mention of her being just an indoor cat. I had to count to 10 to keep from saying anything more.

Now I wonder if this is a switch and bait theme. Hope not because the website looks like they are doing wonderful work for abandoned cast. Or maybe the foster parents want to adopt the cat.

Oh well, I always believe that if I loose something that means something better is coming along. Tomorrow is a cat adoption at our local PetSmart, so maybe we will find our special someone :)
(4)

Those lady squirrels sure know what they're doing!!!!

Good luck Pam! Hey I wonder what would happen if you took a pad outside when you take her out? Maybe she would associate "outside" with "bathroom"?

Well, Bruce had his rabies vax today, and I booked him for The Big Snip at the start of the New Year. He also has belly button hernia that has to get fixed at the same time. I worry about the hernia so much - it's about an inch in diameter - but the vet says it's fine as long as you can still push it back in.

He "disappeared" his harness, so I couldn't find it before going to the vet. But when we got home, I discovered it beside mom's walker. Maybe he is giving her a hint??? He would probably look adorable riding around in the basket....
(3)

Baby Chloe is improving after her first week with us! She is so adorable, and used her pads most of the day. We take her outside for play at least twice a day.. hoping the "lets go outside" will kick in.. but she is only 9 weeks old, and they say both pugs and Chihuahuas are hard to potty train. Wish me luck! And the teething!! OMG,, she now has two chew bones.. but our shoes and pant legs are still her faves!
(3)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter