Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Well this has been interesting... my male Black Bombay in the past could care less about anyone or anything, he marched to his own drummer no matter how crazy it was. If you were sick, he would still ask where is dinner or step over you if you were laying down.

The past few weeks we have been dealing with his sister [litter-mate], 17 years old, who has been losing weight, turned out to be thyroid which we need to now control. And now that Bombay has become a "caregiver" to his sister. Now he never lets her out of his sight. Even on these cooler mornings he will follow her outside and lay on the mat cushions that she likes to sleep on. You can tell he is cold, but he wasn't leaving her side.

I do notice at night "Charlie" is very tired, no different than human caregivers watching over someone. It's like his 12-hour shift is over, now it is our turn.
(5)

cwillie...We did try the Diatomaceous Earth(food grade) and I put it all over the carpet and cat's bedding,but sadly it didn't work for us and the fleas were just awful.The vet had us put all 6 babies on Revolution and now everyone is better but I know fleas lay eggs and they hatch,so I don't know how long they will be ok but I am applying the Revolution every month on time.One of my cat's ,Old Odom, has a flea allergy and he gets both a shot and the Revolution and he still itches like crazy. I'd appreciate any tips on this also.
(3)

For some practical, non toxic solutions that may work, I have great faith in diatomaceous earth (Food grade if you can find it). Dust the rugs and upholstered areas liberally at night, vacuum daily, and follow up with a good steam cleaning. Prepare to deal with a new batch in 4 weeks.
(1)

I might add, for every flea you pluck off your socks and drown there are dozens you don't see, not to mention the eggs just waiting to hatch.
(1)

FF, back when my oldest nephew was a baby - the stage where he could crawl but not yet walk - my sister's home was infested by fleas, brought in by their dog. Not. Good. BIL was in total denial, then had us trying every cockamamie home remedy you can imagine (this was before the internet, so I'm sure there are one or two we didn't try). Poor baby had so may bites sister thought it was a rash, the doctor laid down the law and Sis and BIL finally had to have the house exterminated.
So how bad is your problem?
(1)

Any at home nature flea recommendations? Last year we didn't have one flea, the year before a few here and there.... this year it is the "Year of the Flea". Good grief, they are everywhere!! The flea Gods are angry about something.

The Vet said the hot humid weather has made it a battle field for fleas. I use to hate to use meds on the cats [both 17] as the side effects weren't worth it. This season tried Revolution on both of them and knock on wood, no side effects :)

Daily we vacuum, and of course the sound is like an air raid drill with the cats, they go into hiding. And I wear white socks to see where are places that need the most tending. If some fleas hop on my white socks I transport them via the socks to the toilet as they can't swim... flip them off into the water, hopefully not losing my balance and getting one foot in toilet :P

I went on-line to see what natural products might work. PetMd suggested putting salt and baking soda on the rugs? Hmmm, cats wash their feet so that salt may be an over load. I know cedar chips help but those would get vacuumed up.

Anywho, lesson learned, combing DOESN'T WORK all of the time. I thought I could control it with the Shark and the comb... NOT. And next week it is going back up into the 90's, this isn't our usual autumn weather !!!
(0)

I'm really surprised that my dH has rolled so well with the kittens,but he was also so sad when we lost our 3 babies last summer.I'm also surprised he isn't griping about all the cat toys and boxes and scratchy scratches everywhere,but he did say that they better not put any toys down the shower drain.The babies bring us joy and I'll always believe that my Mother in Heaven had something to do with me getting an all black kitten,just like the one I loved so much and lost.Lovee is a doll~
(1)

Yes it would Luckylu. You should have seen Buster this morning, oh my word, he ran and ran then slid across the floor on his back lol!!
(1)

Wouldn't it be wonderful to have some of that energy they have...we are so lucky to have these babies~
(2)

Oh yes Luckylu. Not an easy or quick task like training cats. Just lots of praise when he goes and a treat. He is a joy, always happy to see you, runs to me and oh boy in the morning, he runs all through the house, slides on the floor, lol!! We get him outside and he runs circles in the backyard.

I glad lovee gets the staples out soon. Then she can fly through the air gliding to her destination.
(2)

Thanks for asking about Lovee SharynMMarie. Tonight makes Night#8 in that awful cone.She's been so good about it and she's so smart.I just have to watch her close because she still wants to fly through the air.I want that cone thing off,so I'm taking her in Monday to get the staples out,2 days early.
Buster sounds like a handful and I know he brings a lot of work.I bet you have to really stay on the potty training,huh?~
(1)

How is Lovee healing? Better I hope.

Buster is quiet the energetic puppy. He is so cute but boy is he a lot a work. He won't go near the cat anymore but he will bark at Tiger. Tiger just gives him an indignant look and walks away.
(1)

"Lovee'" is SO sad in her collar and I want to take it off her and be a bad caregiver,but I am worried that the staples will become undone and she already has a little infection there too,so she is laying here beside me on the couch on a heating pad.She did that by herself.She's so smart.The heat must feel good to her.The other animals know she isn't well and they are being so kind .My little dog that normally chases and teases her is just laying quietly beside her and her MaMa and the other 2 kittens come over and lick her head.It's something else.Theyr'e all so sweet and I feel so blessed to have them....but I still want to take off that awful cone.
(4)

Yeah I'm with you on that. Poor boy runs into things all the time. His biggest issue is he can't put his paw on his bullybone to hold it while trying to chew it. LOL.

So I gave spike a haircut last week. He's a maltipoo, with poodle hair. So it's football season and I give him a small Mohawk. Yep I love it. Dh takes him over to his mom Queen B**ch over the weekend. Now she loves MY dog. Not me anymore, (thank you very much). Queenie throws a fit! Can't believe I could do this to her precious little guy. Wants to know if I'm trying to make him look tough or what?! ( ha she should see him in the sand pit. We call him Cujo.LOL) Sorry to say that Spike wasn't in a happy jumpy mood. So of course that would be my fault. Poor dh. Had to listen to her b**th about MY dog. He just told her "he is my wife's dog not yours". Didn't go over well as you can imagine. Dh talked to her Monday on the phone, of course b**ching again. Got to love this. Dh told her "fine I just won't bring him over anymore." Ha ha! Dh talked to queenie yesterday and guess what? Only praise and love for Spike. So I guess she got over it. LOL. Huummm, guess it wasn't Spike behaving badly. It was me!
(1)

Oh my gosh, those cones. My cat had to wear one of those cones, that lasted only one day. The poor boy, our wild child, just couldn't adjust, you could hear him bumping into furniture and scrapping the cone along the wall.... we couldn't stop giggling hearing that noise.
(0)

At my house we call it "the cone of death". LOL. Spike really hates it and looks at you like he is dying. Such a sad puppy face.😩
(2)

Get a photo Luckylu! Those kittens are still small, right?
(1)

Awe, poor Lovee, those Elizabethan Collars are so uncomfortable.
(2)

Aw, I hope Lovee feels better soon! And the Cone of Shame - poor thing!
(2)

My beautiful all black kitten sure doesn't feel like behaving badly and I feel SO bad for her.After getting her and the other 2 kittens spayed last week,the other 2 kittens are healing fine,but my poor "Lovee'" isn't so I had to take her into the vet and they had to put in 2 staples and they put her in one of those collars for protection.Her belly button is poofed and so red.I just hate it for her.I guess she licked it too much in the beginning.The vet said "Yes,,,all their personalities are different.....Really?
(2)

Windy - haha, love the band name!
(2)

Whirled, loved the Timmy Reference. That was the dumbest kid that ever lived. In the well, old mine shaft, etc. My fav high school rock band near us is  named TIMMYS IN THE WELL. They are terrible, just like the old TV show but best band name ever.  Great dog story BTW.
(1)

Wireled travel what an amazing dog she certainly knows how to look after her people.
Many dogs and even some cats share her gifts. It is not unusual for an animal to refused to leave the side of a dying loved one and I expect your dog to do that even before Dad appears to be actively dying.
(3)

Love the stories about everyone's cats and dogs!!

My cat is adorable, spoiled, and a fabulous cuddler. However, when I have to sleep on the couch if Dad is having a bad night, kitty howls, pounces, and literally climbs the walls seeking my attention. Because if I'm not in my own bed, I should be playing with the cat, right? Of course!

My dog, on the other hand, is AWESOME with Dad. She's a herding dog, so she keeps an eye on him. I was on the phone the other day, and I somehow missed Dad's attempt to go on walkabout, BY HIMSELF, without his walker, in the middle of the day in 110 degree heat! (He has dementia.) But the dog wouldn't let him go out the front door. Blocked his exit, actually, and then started barking like crazy to alert me. (She would never bite or be aggressive, she just has an alert bark, a "Timmy's stuck in the well!!" kind of bark.)

Anyway, Dad was mad about the whole thing, (understandable, being herded by a dog) but at least he was safe! Good dog! She also sleeps next to his bed. And last night, when my husband was having a really rough time dealing with Dad's diagnosis, and was crying on the living room floor, the dog came over, laid down next to him, and put her paw on his shoulder. I wish I had gotten a picture of that!

So, I guess this is, cat behaves badly, dog behaves awesome. Unless she's chasing cat. ;)
(3)

I hope you did get a nap SharynMarie,but if you didn't,it's about bedtime now.I'm tired too and earlier today Iwished I could've laid down with the kittens,but I had to go to the store for catfood
AGAIN!
(1)

Luckylu I did!! The pups wore themselves out after tumbling over each other for 2 hours. One grandson fell asleep while the other grandson and I took a short walk. When dd came to get her 3 boys, I was ready for a nap!!
(2)

SharynMarie...I'll bet you had a ball watching all your babies today!
And yeah,my husband is funny alright,Funny in the head-
Maybe Nutjob could make us a very special brew just for our husbands...?
(2)

Hubbys and puppies and kittens in time out, oh my!!! Lol!! Your hubby sounds funny. I babysat the twins plus Buster and his brother Rusty today. Kept them outside most of time while the puppies wrestled and the grands played by blowing bubbles, trying to catch the bubbles!!!

No more babies is a good time Luckylu, we can make some coffee for the naughty hubbys??
(2)

I just had to put "Trouble" in time-out SharynMarie.She's running through the house too much and too fast,playing too hard after just having a major surgery.Yesterday,after they were spayed on Thursday,they pretty much slept all day,but today they're back up to their old tricks.I'm just glad all 4 cats are spayed now so there won't be any more babies.My wonderful dH behaved VERY badly and was going to lie and tell the spay-neuter place they were feral to save $90.00 and they would have cut off the top third of one of their ears but thankfully his lie bombed and my kittens came home in one piece....mostly.
Send,Please tell Nutjob Thanks for the coffee....It's delicious!
(3)

Buster is in a heap of trouble here at Idaho homestead. Tearing up some plants in the backyard puts the puppy in timeout as well as Busters master ( my hubs)!! Lol!!
(3)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter