Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Lucky don't you just love kittens. They have so much energy. I remember ours at that age. They used to love to bat bottle caps around. We've been trimming our kitties claws since they were babies and they are fine with it. Just avoid the pink part which is called the quick. Just get their paws and gently squeeze and that causes the nails to extend. You don't have to trim them right down, just so they are blunted. I usually hold the cats in my lap and hubs trims their nails. :)
(2)

There was a little girl who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead,
And when she was good,she was very,very good and when she was bad she was Horrid......
A perfect description of my kittens~
Today when I went in,they were climbing up on the top of a shelf,jumping to the floor and racing back to do it again like teenagers jumping off a cliff into the lake,it was a new ,fun game they created until they thought of their next game.
(2)

When I go into check on the kittens first thing in the morning,I never know what I'll find.Today,when I went in,there was an old glue mouse trap with a really old dead mouse inside.No tellin' where they found it,I was just glad they hadn't gotten to the glue on the trap yet.It was so gross!And they all looked so innocent....
(1)

Thanks Veronica...I'll try clipping the kittens claws first,just the points like you said.That's a good idea.And yeah,They have a "scratchy scratch",that's what I call it and they Love it.They are so tiny and cute.They were having such a good time today until I had to give them their antibiotic and eyedrops and now they're all knocked out but I'm sure they'll get their second wind when it's time to go to bed.
(2)

Lucky start with the kittens, you can see how far to go. Just clip the transparent bit. With the kittens just clip the point off. The idea is to get them used to this when they are little. Do you have a scratching post for them. it needs to be high enough that an adult cat can stretch out full length while they scratch. You may need to introduce the kittens to it and take hold of a paw and scratch the post so they get the idea and leave your furniture alone. When you have outdoor cats they tend to take care of the problem outside. Just keep an eye on that dew claw higher up on the front paw. In older cats especially the nail can curl over and and dig into a pad and cause a lot of pain.
(2)

freqflyer,You are such a good and Brave cat owner to cut your cat's nail's and all 3 cats too.That's awesome.I'm afraid to with mine because I'm scared I'd get too close and get 'em bleeding.Good job FF!
(1)

Ah toe nail inspections time for the cats. My wild child "Charlie" is the easiest of the three.... I can plop him into my lap like he is sitting and inspect each and every nail. He will even spread out his paws to make it easier. So funny. He does have a bad habit of when cleaning his nails, he will spit out the old broken nail as there is a new nail growing underneath. I find pieces of nails everywhere.

The girls, they are prim and proper except for toe nail inspection. Oh my gosh, for one you would think I was taking all of her 9 lives at once. The screeching and squirming.

When cats get older, mine are 16-18, their toe nails will start to get thick and sometimes will grow around into the pad of the foot. That's because they aren't walking on concrete or other rough surfaces as much as they should to help get rid of the old claw automatically. For those thick claws, I use wire cutters as I can't use the cat nail clippers.
(0)

My little kittens are misbehaving badly getting into everything they shouldn't even though the room is full of toys.Iv'e pugged every hole and they still find a way to get to where they want to go.So cute and yet so rotten.
(3)

Norwegian Forest Cats are gigantic, too. Healthy (i.e. not overweight) males range from 12-16 pounds. The cat fanciers' site says they often are mistaken for Maine Coons, perhaps partly because the breed hasn't been around in the USA for all that long.
(2)

FF - my sister had a Maine Coon cat - they're definitely huge. Mine doesn't look anything like one, other than his size. I guess it could be in there somewhere.
(0)

Susan, that cat you described isn't nuts, he's normal :)

He will out grow that in about 10 to 20 years :P  Oh, I bet he has some Maine Coon in his linage, those guys can get to be very long.
(3)

I have witnessed the mouse juggling act many times and, while the cat seems to have so much fun with it, the mouse never seems to appreciate it.

I was surprised, though, that my cat kept her prize pet rabbit alive for so long - more than six hours, and wasn't appearing to have been torturing it. She was apparently carrying it gently from one corner to the other and not batting it around or anything. I am going to stay with the idea that it was her pet.
(3)

M2M - pretty sure the cat's intentions were much the same as the dog's, though it might have taken longer. I've seen a cat in action with small creatures, and it's rarely a "nice" story.

(Another not-so-nice story ahead, so if you're at all squeamish, you might want to pass this over.)

When I was about 10, my indoor/outdoor cat was outside, rattling the door to come in. When I got out there to get him in, I saw he had a mouse in his mouth, and yelled for mom. I had *no* idea what to do - we'd never, ever had a mouse in the house, so I hadn't the first clue how to handle this. While Mom is coming to the door, the cat decides to show off his juggling skills and starts throwing the mouse into the air, smacking it around, grabbing it in his teeth, then smacking it back up into the air again. The poor mouse is bleeding, squeaking for all he's worth, and doesn't even have the strength to try to run away. Mom arrives, and yells at me to grab a shovel and kill the mouse. I'm completely freaked out by this idea, but more freaked out by the yelling that Mom is doing behind me, telling me, "KILL IT! KILL IT! DON'T LET IT SUFFER LIKE THAT!" So, feeling much like I would imagine a mafia hit man would, I whacked the poor mouse with a swift smack of the shovel. I never did get that image out of my head.
(2)

This story may start cute but, fair warning, the ending is not so warm and fuzzy.

So, yesterday, apparently my little girl cat decided to keep a pet baby bunny. She caught said baby bunny and kept it corralled in one corner or the other of the screened porch. Kept it for several hours apparently (I got this part of the story second hand from Mom's caregiver today). Matilda would pick the bunny up and move it from one corner or the other. She would lay there and corral the bunny between her paws. She didn't hurt the baby bunny but I have no idea what her intentions were.

I did not know anything about this last night when my dog came in through the pet door with something in her mouth. I heard a squeaking noise and thought it was a dog toy. Boy I was wrong. I quickly noted that it was a baby bunny but before I could take any action... chomp, crunch, crunch. The dog ate every bit of bunny from head to toe. Bad dog!

I do wonder what true cat's plans were, though.
(1)

LOL Veronica!

We never figured out if he actually was someone's pet or if he was truly a stray that was born outdoors and just figured out that if he was pitiful enough, people would feed him. He was a rack of bones when we got him, but that changed soon enough once I took him in, got him to the vet and started feeding him good quality food. His fur and everything changed completely. He looked like a ratty short-haired cat until I took him in - now he is a beautiful (very photogenic) long-haired fat cat. Not overweight fat - just big. The vet says he's an incredibly long cat, so whatever mixed breed he is, he's mixed with something big. When he stretches out, he's incredibly long.
(3)

Susan have you guessed why the cat was a stray?
(3)

FF if you do that you will probably get it back stamped in big red letters "REJECTED" No refund for you!!!!!!!
(2)

I'll have to add my list of victims/fatalities here....

Dog:
My little Corgi hated the vacuum - we're talking major HATE here. I had to keep her in another room if I vacuumed, or she'd attack it. (Lesson learned after she ripped the rubber bumper off one vacuum while it was in motion.) She got loose one day while I was vacuuming (and I didn't hear her because the vacuum was running) - until she barked and then lunged between my legs from behind me to bite the vacuum. She missed. I still have a canine-tooth-shaped scar from the hole she put in my leg by sinking her tooth into my calf.

Larger dog that I have now was a terrible chewer as a puppy. Dog - 1. Rocking chair - 0. (He chewed the wooden rockers right off one night as we slept. He was crated at night after that until he got older.)

Cat:
Ohh...almost too many to tell here. This cat is nuts, I tell you. Former stray, so I think he was on his own for most of his 18 months before we took him in. In that 18 months, he developed some very bad habits.

Things he has run off with:
-The plug from the bathroom sink.
-Small pieces of the Christmas tree branches
-Various Christmas ornaments
-The baby Jesus from my nativity scene
-Charger cords (several) for my cell phone
-He has toy mice hidden all over the house - every time I do a deep cleaning I find about 5 of them, and he plays with them all day until he loses them again.

Things he has chewed and/or tried to eat:
-Legos (despite my repeated attempts to get DD to keep them picked up - pretty sure there will be a vet visit sometime in the future if they don't move out soon.)
-Charger cords again - my current phone charger cord has teeth marks in it, because he finds it at night when I'm sleeping, no matter where I put it, and chews it. Finally had to put it in a closed cabinet to charge.
-Hair dryer cord. He climbed up on the sink during the night to reach the hair dryer in its holder on the wall. (not plugged in at the time, of course)
-Mom's oxygen hose. I can't tell you how many times she'd get up in the morning and say she felt like she wasn't getting enough air - yeah, you're not, Mom, because there are holes in the dang hose. Finally had to lock the cat in a spare room at night, which caused him to yowl and claw at the door all night. I don't miss those nights.
-Shoelaces. He thinks they're noodles, I think. (not that I feed him noodles.)
-Shoes. Slippers. Socks.
-BRAS. He loves bras. The straps fascinate him. I've woken up at night to hear him rifling through the dirty clothes hamper to find a bra and chewing on the clips.
-Various body parts. This guy is a biter - worse than any puppy I've ever seen. When we first got him, he was up on the back of a chair at my chest level, and I was petting him. Apparently he'd had enough, so he reached out and bit me right on the boob! As I was reacting with shock, he promptly bit the other one!
(5)

It's more fun when the cat grabs the paper out of the printer when the paper is finished printing.... and the cat runs off with it. Can I send in my income taxes with teeth marks?
(5)

On second thought, I probably don't qualify for the club because my hand did not get infected, although the E.R. treated the wound.
Seems the cat bites and scratches, or cat scratch fever was very serious.

Oops, just bit my own tongue!  Will I now get lockjaw?  Not be able to talk, or type?  (Possible, if I was typing hunt and peck by using a pencil!)  Maybe if I get a cat, it could walk across the keys for me (kindle with touchscreen here).
A sort of assistive cat.  Nice.
(3)

Sure Send dog bites certainly qualify. I have heard of cat scratch fever but not dog bite poisoning.
(1)

Lol.
(0)

It's slightly less humiliating if it's a dog! Unless it's a chihuahua puppy or something.

Not sure why, though. All the animal programmes are quick to point out that cats are essentially purpose-built killing machines, razors at each corner and daggers in the middle. It's just there's something really feeble about having been beaten in a fight by something that weighs approximately one-sixteenth of you.

Mind you, speaking of unfair fights. My former neighbour shot a mouse with an air rifle, after his semi-feral cat had brought it in for him one night as a treat, to play with. And he stood on a chair to do it. The man's about six foot tall, for heaven's sake, and apparently with a big yellow stripe down his back.
(3)

Joining the club here? Does it count if the scar on my hand is from my dog?
(1)

No CountryMouse...Polka Dot wouldn't have wanted to harm me and I know she didn't mean to bite me.Mom just said"Get 'em!",so I grabbed an umbrella and tried to spike the two somehow,but my hand got in the way and I got bit.Poor Polk was quenteened for 9 days in a cage someplace and I had men in uniforms I thought were cops at the foot of my hospital bed from Animal Control.Now I have 5 tiny tuxedo cats that look just like PolkaDot,Mother's favorite cat of all time and I really believe she's playing a joke on me from Heaven.She and Dad are probably laughing their heads off~~~
(quarantined )
(3)

And I'm glad Polka Dot got reprieved! Poor little girl, she probably really was frightened. I'm sure she wouldn't have meant any harm to you.
(2)

It was very hot! - I don't remember its being painful. On the other hand, I don't think I realised at the time quite how ill I was, or quite how lucky that the GP I saw took one look and said straight to hospital with you - I was probably a bit out of it, and very fortunate not to have left it any longer.

The GP wanted our cat put to sleep, too. Though he said "what if the animal attacks your elderly mother?" and quite honestly at that particular moment, seeing as how Elderly Mother was blaming me for not keeping hold of "poor little Hansie, he must have been so frightened," and giving me looks that could have killed... well, let's just say the doctor wasn't exactly appealing to my better nature.

The orthopaedic people made me go back for x-rays for a full year afterwards to check there weren't any pockets of infection regrowing, but happily I haven't had any further problems with it. Except for having to 'fess up to it on medical and dental forms since, under the question that says "have you had any hospital admissions in the last ten years?"

Grr, yes, let's all have a good laugh about it, shall we..?
(2)

CountryMouse...I'm sorry you got bit in the hand too and I know it hurt SO bad.Do you still have pain in your hand at times?...I was referred to as "Cat bite Woman" too,but I didn't care because they kept me full of painkillers besides the antibiotics.What really bothered me about that ordeal was that the Animal Control people said they might have to BeHead my cat because we didn't know if it had it's rabies shot and I loved Polka Dot,so I was scared.Thankfully,she didn't have rabies.And I learned to never try to break up a cat fight again.
(4)

Better not introduce Bird people, Send! Every few years there's a punch-up in the paper when somebody writes in about the number of songbirds predated by domestic cats and how cat owners should be banned from allowing their cats to go outside, and somebody else writes in and says how the first person should be banned from breathing, and lots of people will write in with anecdotes about how their cat saved a robin from drowning, or stood guard over a nest to keep the squirrels away, and finally the editors will chip in with a two page story about the rivalry between the Prime Minister's cat and the Chancellor of the Exchequer's cat and how they came to blows during a televised press conference in Downing Street, and then it all dies down again. Until next time.
(4)

Yay Lucky! We can start a club! I caught my mother's cat - tried to, that is - making his escape bid when we moved to our new house, and he sank his fangs deep into my hand. Went to the urgent treatment centre and the nurse disinfected it and bandaged it. Next day it looked like a surgical glove that someone had blown up for a joke. Back to the walk-in centre, and the alert GP on duty there sent me straight to hospital for admission for IV antibiotics. I was there for three or four nights, and overheard the nurses referring to me as "Cat Bite Woman." Never been so humiliated in my life. Everybody else on the ward - it was an orthopaedic surgical ward - had real things wrong with them. Oh the shame!
(3)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter