Follow
Read More
Great goals Julia! You can do this!
I am so proud of you. You already took the first step(the heardest), and I know you will make it to the finish line!
Be sure you get enough protein and stay hydrated.

My only goal is to maintain what I have been doing. It has been working for me. So biking and vibing. I am so boring. But it works for me. And eating right, with a few cheats her and there. Mostly eating right though.

And getting more sleep.....
(1)

Thanks, Smeshque and PolarBear!

My goal this week is to do 1500 steps (20 minutes) on the machine every day. I’ve written it in my diary, I have smilie stickers to mark the days I succeed, and I’ve done it today. It’s doable and a reasonable goal for me.

My midterm term goal is to get up to 4,000 steps on the machine, which in addition to my other normal steps, should keep me around the minimum for a healthy lifestyle.

Dream goal: 10,000 steps... 🤩

My feet have to get used to this extra use! Lol. They get really hot from the friction of keeping them in one place on the air glider. I’m hoping my form improves or they get toughened up. I’ve also changed to wearing sandals with good grip, and that was easier than my shoes which had almost no grip and required extra force to keep my feet on the pedals. Strange thing to workout in sandals! Any advice?

What are your goals?
(3)

Way to go Julia!!!!
(2)

It works! I’m breathing hard, red like a tomato, and sweating. The best part is I enjoyed it. 15 minutes was a good place for me to start. I’m parking it in my living room for now so I don’t “forget “ to use it. 😄
(3)

Best wishes Julia. No offense taken, not everyone likes biking. The air glider sounds fun.
You can do this.
You will do this.
You will succeed!!!

Glide away!!!!!!

I have a gazelle. When we have an opportunity for us to sit outside, that is what I do while they sit. I enjoy that as well, looking out at all the beautiful nature and the deer and birds. While I ride my gazelle. :) Good times.
(2)

Woohoo! JuliaRose! Congrats on your new machine. I hope you use it daily or almost daily.
(3)

Hey, everyone. I finally broke down and bought an air glider. It was half off, and I thought heck, I really need to get moving, why not! My preference is elliptical, and this is close. Better than a bike, which I can’t stand. Sorry, Smeshque! It arrives tomorrow, so wish me luck! No excuses after this!
(2)

Lol. PB, do a lap for me, too! I wish it worked that way! 😄 I like water exercises, but I hate initially getting into the water.

I’m so bad at this exercise thing. I am motivated for roughly 4 days and then not at all. 😔
(2)

My favorite exercise is fast walking. I can do it indoors if it’s horrid out. I just put my headphones on, tune into a playlist, and I’m off and (not quite) running. Music pumps me up.
(2)

PB- that is Great!
Stay Motivated you will get it done. Swimming is great exercise. Its like exercising and not knowing it, I haven't got to swim in many moons. So next time you go do a lap for me.

I just continue cycling and vibing and working.
Getting there.
Eating right for the most part, with the exception of the 5 Reisons I have just munched down. :)
(2)

Just came back from the pool with the kids. I did some swimming, exercising in the water. Feel much better afterwards.

My annual physical exam is coming up in 3 months. I want to improve on my numbers from last year: AC1, weight, cholesterol, etc. So, that's my goal. I'm going to put that on my phone calendar to remind me each morning.

How's everyone doing?
(3)

How are you doing with your goals, everyone?

It was already in the 80s this morning, so rather than struggle through my intended 10 minute walk/run, I opted for a ballet routine with Lazy Dancer on YouTube. I almost did nothing. But then I thought of this discussion board. And I thought of my flabby legs and getting out of breath walking places. I do want to change. So, I danced/stretched in the living room.

When the weather is ugly, what do you or can you do to keep up your exercise routine?
(2)

Thanks! Today was a dialysis day, so I went for a walk to the nearby pond. I’m definitely feeling those muscles I used yesterday! I usually develop shin splints quickly, so I’m trying to strengthen my foot arches to try to prevent it. 🤞
(2)

That is great Julia, keep at it.
And thanks for the info on activation energy, completely makes sense. We sometimes hold ourselves back with hesitation.
Best wishes! Keep moving.
(1)

Have you ever heard of “activation energy”? Those first 5 seconds after an idea comes to you when you almost jump up and do it, but if you hesitate, then all the reasons why not to do it flood in and wash it out to sea? It makes logical sense then, to take advantage of your activation energy to make positive changes in our lives.

So... that’s what I’m trying to do. I watched a TedTalk about it a couple days ago and thought it was a great way to stop procrastinating. Last night, I got out my running gear and put it by the bed with water. This morning without thinking too much, I put it on and after settling my hubby where he’d be safe, went out for a 10 minute run/walk. I’m sooo out of shape! Lol! But, I did it!
Ill do it again on Wednesday. Without thinking. Just do it.
(4)

Isthisreal- Lol. Our dogs pretty much keep all critters at bay.
The skunks are rare to get close, not that they don't at times. But while we work our dogs are always by our sides, so they do their job very well. Even if that means taking one for the team, and smelling like a skunk.
But really have not encountered any varments working at night. Thank the Lord.
(0)

Thanks for the reminder CWillie, as I have been desperately trying to find something more than just water to drink. Putting some lemon juice in my bottled water would have worked, if I did not add s u g a r to it.

Keep on moving everyone!
(1)

I have to remind myself that I'm not trying to run a marathon or anything I just want to get in at least 15 to 20 minutes of cardio, otherwise I get discouraged that I'm not improving my distance and endurance or losing any weight.

And for all the people dealing with the heat - beware of all the pop, sweetened ice teas & coffees and all those other high calorie beverages!
(2)

Smeshque, I am very curious, when you would work the farm at night did you ever have meet and greet with any critters?

I would be worried about interrupting a skunk or coon having dinner.

I would definitely get good exercise running for my life after I jumped 6' in the air.

We put a critter cam up and we have a big healthy bobcat as a regular visitor. Could be good cardio running into him.
(2)

Well, I am closer to my happy weight. So I just keep doing what I have been doing, it seems to have cracked the code, thank the Lord.
I havent had the energy or time to add anything else to my workout, but I continue biking nightly, vibing, and just the work around the farm.
This heat is rough. Before my parents moved here, DH and I would work at night around the farm in the hottest of days, and nap during the day. Now we cannot do that because of our situation, so we try to get in the work in the mornings and evenings.
I hope you all are pressing on, getting stronger, more motivated, healthier.
I often wonder about you all and how you are doing, especially in this heat.
Just keep moving and hydrated, everyone.
(4)

I love seeing all the new posts here!

It’s been so hot and humid, it’s hard to exercise! But, I walked three times last week. Would be best if I could escape to go to the gym one day a week, in addition. I’m hoping to do this on Wednesdays!
(1)

Got up early and got dressed to go for a run. Went out in the yard and started puttering in the garden. Came in for a coffee. More puttering. Lunch. Computer time... now it's 1:30. Oh well, at least I thought about it.
(5)

One minute at a time, that is how we approach this.
Some days we do better than others. In eating right you can allow yourself a cheat day. Not to overdue it, but to have those little treats you love, in moderation. We can't beat ourselves up when we fail the standards or rules we apply to ourselves. We just get up from that fall and try and do better. As long as we keep trying, that is not failing.
And eventually, yes eventually something will connect in our minds that keep us on track better. Until then, never stop trying.
The heat and humidity is a Bear. Do exercises and workout inside air conditioning. But don't let the heat tell you, it is ok not to do anything. Little bits add up.
Maybe find a good workout video you can do. I am a big promoter of the power 90 it is a great workout. Alternating strength and cardio. Now keep in mind, your first week of it, is getting use to moving, finding your coordination, and building up. And the goal is to do it for 90 days. And you will have great results. I know for certain this is true. I haven't gotten to get back to my video, because with farming you are always working out. But maybe this winter I will. I cycle for hours every evening as a release of the day and get rid of energy so I can sleep. Plus I love cycling. Find something you love.

You can do it Blackhole. We are all here to help each other however we can. Do it for you. You will feel so much better, I lie not,

You too Mik
(0)

Went off the rails in May and June.

Feral, mindless eating and no exercise. Stress at work was sky-high (not to mention long hours) and self-care went out the window.

In-laws were on my last nerve, too. Nothing new there.

Started reigning in my eating on July 1st. It’s all about habits. Change a habit. Replace a habit.

If it comes in a bag, box or plastic wrapper, I tell myself that it’s not special and I can eat a _________ any damn time. Therefore I will not eat one now.

Weather has been a bit brutal for outdoor exercise. Need to get back to yoga or Pilates.
(1)

Cwillie- you can Stand Like a Rock, against the wind, down on mainstreet. :)
That will be a good workout.

I was a big seger fan back when. DH introduced me to him.
(0)

I think Bob Segar's rock & roll never forgets would be more my kind of way to move it. They'd have to have the lights way low to get me out on the dance floor today though. A little liquid encouragement wouldn't hurt either.
(2)

Warning....
Do not try this at home alone, unless you can put your cell phone nearby on the floor to make that call: "HELP! I've fallen, and I can't get up!".
(4)

Madagascar 2
 like to move it, move it
I like to move it, move it
We like to move it!
She like to move it, move it
He like to move it, move it
We like to move it!
Keep on jumpin' off the floor
Dancin' 'til your feet is sore
Party hard just like it's Mardi Gras
'Cause that's what life is for (Yeah!)
And we don't party hardly (No!)
We just party hard (Yeah!)
And not because we bored (No!)
We party 'cause we born to party
We gonna move our bodies
With our hands in the air
And wave 'em all around
Like we just don't care
Yeah!
Moto Moto in the house
Yeah!
I'm about to turn it out
Yeah!
And you know it's going down
I'm physically, physically, physically round
I like…
(3)

Today, read in a magazine that easy exercises can build muscle strength (needed as we age), (muscle loss called sarcopenia) with a recommendation for free Videos @,AARP.

Rarely, (never in 15 years), read those magazines offered at the checkout stands (Wal-Mart), however, could not resist Woman's World, July 8, with headline article: "She lost her belly at age 66". (I was shopping alone for earthquake supplies) Article shows the exercises, and pictures of food to feed your muscles. I will try it, since I am already eating the same food recommended (except the quinoa and corn on the cob).

Feeling so encouraged, hoping it is not "hype".

Hope this helps you Staffbull, and anyone else interested.

Yes, Smeshque, "Move it, Move it!
A song reference in the movie Madagascar.

Later Exercise buddies!
(2)

Staffbull- we just take it one day at a time. Do as much physical exercise each day. And check in with one another just to see how things are going. Try to encourage each other to move it, move it.

So you know your limitations. You want to build muscle, you will need strength training. Working with weights.
I really like the power 90 workout, it is cardio and strength.

What do you like to do? Turn everything into a workout. Takes a little effort, but doable.
Glad to have you as a buddy. If you need some help getting started, let us know.

This group(minus me) is full of great ideas.

Welcome. Now get moving.
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter