Follow
Read More
you can buy what is called a hat at any pharmacy or stop by your doctors office they should have some on hand. Makes collecting urine so much easier.
(1)

I'm not sure what I am doing now. I am drifitng around in a sea of emptiness for the most part ..or at least that is how it feels a lot of the time....getting rid of the house is excellent, so glad for that, even though I took a hit on the equity..at least got rid of the nagging creditors...a blessing...

The oddest thing is, now there feels like reality is again hitting home...all the chaos with "the house thing" is over...all that remains is unpacking...and who knows when or if that will ever be done...almost insane to try to bring a whole house worth of stuff into a whole house worth of stuff...but that aside, having all the other over with, in the quiet times when it is just Mama and me here, it is so hard so much of the time...I feel like I am waiting for something...waiting for something to happen, afraid it's going to happen, knowing it is going to happen and also just missing my Mama the way she used to be in general these days...one thing for sure, until folks have walked this road, it is impossible to comprehend the immense sadness and loneliness that hits you when you sit here in the quiet times and will be hit with a sudden memory of how they "used" to be...and knowing that person is gone forever for the most part, but still here...and please don't misunderstand me...I want my Mama to continue to live a long and happy life as long as she is happy...She seems happy, her health seems to be improving..the doctors are amazed at her...she laughs a lot...some of that I do know is one of the sidebars to a head injury, but I just have been remembering Mama the way she used to be a lot lately for some reason and oh how I miss my Mama....and yet I cannot move on...we are here together, for as long as it takes and I will be here as long as it takes and I pray that I can keep doing what I am doing...but why is this so hard now? Why do I feel so sad now??? it's like all of a sudden reality is slamming me in the face again...maybe I thought Mama would come back to me the way she used to be???? I know that can't be it....I feel ashamed to be feeling this way...

Everyone who comes here talks about how happy and healthy she is ...and she does seem to be...but no one gets the almost unbearable sadness that I am feeling.....am I selfish? I am trying to get an appointment this week to get back on my meds for depression as that should help me even out the sadness.. I hope...
(2)

Big hug to you Hope. I remember when I sold my house to move in with mother while we sold her house before we moved down here (my God that was a fun year), I kept finding myself thinking inside "I want to go hooooooooooooome..!" And that missing your mother - well, when all's said and done, barring some real head-cases, who in the world will ever care about you as much as your mother did back in the day, or know you as well, or be the person you're part of in the same way?

We're going to a safari park on Thursday - and if anybody is thinking I have a cunning plan to do with lions and mother absent-mindedly leaving the car then honi soit qui mal y pense! - and I'm slightly dreading it. This is her 90th birthday treat from several grandchildren and my ex and his wife, a VIP day which will include her getting to feed the giraffes and see the newest animal babies, followed by a huge cream tea in a stately home. I'm dreading it not because it'll be a good deal of hefting and fetching and carrying for me, though it will, but because I'm afraid it's all going to go straight over her head. The lady who not all that long ago went to India to see the tigers, and Antarctica to photograph penguins, might not have any response to those giraffes. I'm trying to brace myself for it so that I'll just think "oh well we tried" instead of "mother where are you?" It would probably be sensible not to expect too much of her, but it's impossible not to hope she has a grand day out.

Sorry, that got very long. But all I mean is no, you're not selfish. You want your original mother back, and that makes perfect sense to me.
(3)

Ah...happy Birthday to you Mom in advance! Mama is 90 as well!...I pray she, and you, will have a wonderful day full of memories...I still believe that Mama has glimpses of me more than she appears to have at times...praying she is more here than sometimes it seems...this morning she had seen me crying..which I try to NEVER let her see me at that...it just came out of nowhere it seemed...but she said... "I can still do pretty much everything for myself"...Lord bless her....I told her that I just loved her so much sometimes it hurt and I hoped she knew how much I loved her...she said she knew...I think she does...then she added.. (and this was kind of funny) but she said... "don't worry, when I go I'll take you with me"....lol...I'm thinking I'd like to go ....but the way she said it, brought a little levity to the moment at least....yall have a fun and happy day!!! that sounds wonderful!!!
(0)

My Dad recently said "Mom and I didn't expect to live this long"..... ok, and ????

My parents are smart people, you'd think they would have planned on what to do if they did live well into their 90's, which they have reached. It's like, come on Dad, your Mom lived to be 91 and you had other relatives that lived that long. Mom, your sister lived to be 100.

And my parents realized what it was like when Dad's Mom lived alone in her home on a farm.... she fell down the stairs and broke her leg when she was 90. It took a while before someone found her. And she went back home to live alone, again. Eventually she had a stroke at home, then and only then did she go to a nursing home.

And my Mom had that sister who lived to be 100 run her own son ragged trying to her help. That son and his wife had to sell their own home and moved into a 55+ community because they didn't have enough time to care for their own home plus his Mom's home. And Mom had another sister, who was 88, who was found unconscious in her own single family home for who know how long, and eventually passed on from that fall.

Yet my parents continue to live by themselves in a home that has a lot of stairs.... HELLO.
(0)

ff, we often hear our parents' choices are theirs and they have to face the consequences of those choices. But the truth is that WE also have to face the consequences of those choices. My mother often says that it is her business if she doesn't want to do things that are good for her. She doesn't get it that if she falls or gets sick, both she and I will be affected. But what can we do? We can't control what they do... and really, I wouldn't want to. We can just hope for the best.
(3)

I don't know what the answer is....I think a large part of it is that in "olden times"...yes, I used that term..lol....there was usually a huge support structure...I remember there were seven siblings, all living within a mile of the parents and all of them at least were close enough to do something...even though my parents did much of it themselves...at least there was a large group and the community seemed to be more geared towards being around...now...everyone moves off...flies far from the nest..my nephews are long gone...we rarely ever see them...of course social media indicates they can drive long distances to do 'FUN" stuff....but visiting frail elderly people does not fall into that catergory...I think it is a combination of a chaning society as a whole, and also just a change in values...people don't seem to give a darn anymore about elderly people..they are not 'our" problem...I know that I made my choices and and I knew going in it would be hard...I thought MAYBE there would be some form of backup..I was mistaken there, but I also knew there was a huge potential for that to be the case....I just watch everyone else go on with their lives, toss out the occasional "oh you're doing such a good job with her" and they are back to LIVING....hey, I never married, don't have kids, what else do I have to do right? no one ever stops to realize that I didn't have to have a husband and children to have a life....and I did have a life and it was good...this one is not bad, but it is sad...and it is hard..and it is lonely....but nonetheless, the one I chose....
(1)

You know, it's funny, but growing up, there was ONE aunt in our extended family who never married, never had children and lived with my grandparents. She did get a ton of backup help and tons of financial help with my grandparents...but I remember thinking how sad my aunts life seemed. She always seemed relatively ok...but still somewhat sad...and occasionally would mention this beau or that event and I wonderred what happened to cause her to choose a life of living at home caring for her parents over having a life "of her own"....after my grandparents passed, she did move in with a sister whose husband had passed and the two passed relatively close to each other...I always remembered thinking...no way is that ever going to be me....and yet..here I sit...I am she....
(2)

I know what you mean, hope. I've been married twice, but now I feel like the proverbial old family spinster who is staying home with Mom. :(
(1)

The day finally came.. It was Sunday afternoon at 2:05. My husband gave up his fight and began his journey to a better place.

Our youngest daughter and I were with him quietly talking after a conversation with him - he was resting/sleeping and we held his hands - they were cold, as usual, and gently brushed back his hair. Our daughter began to tell me that she just did not think she could go home that night, having been with her Dad for a week. Her classroom really needed her to return and the principal was not always in her 'court'.

I asked her if she would feel better if her Dad left us while she was still here. She said, "Oh, yes, I want to be here". With that we resumed our chairs and I began relating a mundane story about how I had tried to repair the boards under the deck to keep a nosy fox out when her Dad became restless.. We jumped up and attended him and his breathing became irregular. She began counting his deep breaths and watching for the shallow ones as she did most of the time she was with him. Two deep breaths followed by.... nothing. He wasn't breathing at all. She flew out to the nurses' station and sure enough he had granted her wish..

Does anyone think this could be? It felt like a miracle and it was all so peaceful and kind of elegant.

Our son had spent every night with him at Hospice, so we awakened him and notified his one sister and notified their elder sister who had had to leave for home on downstate on Friday. All four have given us their all..

His earthly journey is over but another has begun. We like this poem:

Gone From My Sight
I am standing upon the seashore. A ship, at my side,
spreads her white sails to the moving breeze and starts
for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength.
I stand and watch her until, at length, she hangs like a speck
of white cloud just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other.

Then, someone at my side says, "There, she is gone."

Gone where?

Gone from my sight. That is all. She is just as large in mast,
hull and spar as she was when she left my side.
And, she is just as able to bear her load of living freight to her destined port.
Her diminished size is in me -- not in her.

And, just at the moment when someone says, "There, she is gone,"
there are other eyes watching her coming, and other voices
ready to take up the glad shout, "Here she comes!"
And that is dying...
(9)

Kaz, I wouldn't be posting if I weren't genuinely worried. From the selection I've seen above I can't see how there is any bullying. And the reason I'm worried is that you're so angry. Who - this is a serious question - who is looking after you? Is anyone staying with you and your mum? You've been under so much strain for such a long time, and the uncertainty that we all have to deal with would do anyone's head in. So, seriously, is anyone physically there to help you? Is there a friend who can come and stay, or can you go there for a few days? I know how desperately I'm looking forward to my respite break in a couple of weeks, I'm just guessing that could could do with some proper time off too. Come on, something has to give, so make it happen in a good way. Big hugs.
(0)

Sorry for typos, my new glasses have pinged. I've had them less than a month and they cost a packet. Grrr. That's my big whine 'cos I really could barely afford them in the first place. And I have a 'floater' in my left eye, all of a sudden. Anyone else had problems with these? - the internet just says "it's your age, dear…"
(0)

Lois, I am so sorry that your husband is gone, but glad to read your story. What a tribute to a thoughtful man. I believe that our loved ones are just gone from our sight and that one day they'll come back into view again. I wish I could give your whole family a big hug for being there for him. With so many families fragmenting when death is close, it is heartening to read of families pulling together. I hope that peace is with you during the next few weeks as you go through the stress and grief. I hope you'll post your message where everyone can read it. I don't know if many people are reading this thread. You had lovely thoughts to share. God bless you and your family.
(5)

Oh Lois, my heart aches for you and your family. So close to dad at his need...

Sorry, I am tearing up too much to type more.... thank you Lous, hug your family for all of us ( I hope) my heartfelt prayers are with you.
(3)

Beautifully said Jessie.
I too am very sorry for your loss Lois. I will pray for you and your family. That was a sad but beautiful end of life story. God bless him.
(4)

you seem very loving and mature / level headed lois . i think your husband was lucky to have you even right till the end of his life . many people have no one . i wish you the best healing and going forward ..
(5)

Lois, I am sorry to learn of your loss but thank you for your post. It is extremely beautiful. Wishing you and the children comfort.
(3)

Oh Lois...comfort and love to you, your daughter and all of your family...I absolutely believe your precious husband knew he was surrounded by love and comfort and knew his daughter wanted to be there when the time came....It is amazing! A beautiful end of life story and so glad for you all that you are together through it. Peace, comfort and hugs to you all. Thank you for sharing your journey with us.
(3)

I am having a hard time lately. Dad is having good days and bad days and then just about 4 days ago he has been acting as if nothing is wrong with him. Not sure if it's his morphine & prednisone that does that or if he his having his one last burst of energy. I asked Hospice if the meds he was taking were keeping him alive and they said not really but with his diminished lung function and his heart going up and down, they aren't sure how long he will last. Nurse said she will move our apt with doc to sooner as there is so much hardening and little movement in lungs that maybe we should make decisions. I was hoping more family would visit before its too late, but seems it's hard for them to get away. Have a sister and niece coming next week and she said plans are for all to come for Thanksgiving. When talking to nurse, I told her about this and she gave me that look that he might not make it that long. Until I talk to doc I just don't want to tell the rest of family and make them feel they need to be here asap. I so much need some help and support from family but I understand they are busy with their lives. Having sister visit will be good yet it won't give me a break as she will only be here 2 days and I can't leave her with dad as she doesn't know what meds or how to take care of the 02, nor does she know her way around this town. I am hoping doc helps with this decision about dad, yet I feel bad that this may happen. He has no quality of life although we did take him golfing the other day and he did okay. He was just so glad to be able to do what he loved but he pushed himself and did get pretty pale and tired. He is looking forward to another trip like that and hoping to go again when sister arrives. After that, well, I am hoping things work out well for all of us and we can all get some peace. I sometimes feel like I am going crazy, feel isolated, forgotten and have no one's shoulder to cry on. I try to talk to dad about all this (his situation, my feelings) and he just doesn't want to talk about it. I get it but I would like to know how he is feeling as he does keep a lot of thing to himself. As much as I love him, I just can't stand seeing him so helpless and he looks sad. Well, death comes when its supposed to and nothing we can do about it. I am not afraid but dad is. That's the sad part. He doesn't believe he'll go to heaven or if there is one and he just doesn't believe he will see others when he passes.....his fear is what keeps him alive I believe.

Think I rambled on in many different directions on this one but I am so stressed and confused and wish things were different but alas, life is what it is until it isn't, I suppose....
(2)

I've enjoyed reading these posts and some have made my whine seem quite trivial. Ok....my mom (who I care for mostly 24/7, can turn a switch on when she is around friends and can communicate, respond appropriately, and actually act interested in what is going on. This has gone on for awhile, but yesterday I was totally floored. She can never answer the phone or hang it up...always needs my help or my husbands to do so. Yesterday, while she was playing cards with a good friend, the phone rang and she immediately answered it and soonafter hung up after the call.. WHAT???
(4)

Lois that was such a beautiful death and your poem brought tears to my eyes. I have so admired the care you have been able to give to your beloved husband. I hope I have your strength. he will surely be waiting for you with arms outstretched when the time comes. many Blessings to you and your family, what wonderful parents they have had.
(4)

Hope i think you are in mourning both for the loss of your home and your former life. mama does love you i am sure of that and when she does pass you will be able to remember her when she was active and healthy no locked in the prison her body has become. of course you are sad. it is a sad time but the sun will come out again tomorrow and you will be led down a different path and mama will lok down and be so proud of the job you have done. Hugs to you both
(2)

chuff, sounds like your mom is a master show timer, like mine. Don't blame her, its totally natural. Be thankful that she is still able to "fake it" here and there, and don't take it personal. Show timing is hard work and zaps their energy. Once you understand it and accept it as part of the disease, it will get easier for you. When she stops show timing, it means she doesn't have the strength and mind to anymore......then it goes downhill a bit quicker. Good luck.
(3)

My Mom had a doctor's appointment and Dad wanted to go along to get out of the house.... we were starting to leave the house and Dad comes wheeling around with his new fancy rolling walker [the one with the handbrakes, basket, and seat] which he loves using.

Anyway, when Mom saw he wanted to use it instead of his cane she started sniping at him, telling him they aren't allowed in doctors offices, etc... [rolling eyes].... I told Dad lets put it in the car and try it out.... Mom then said it won't fit in trunk.... I removed the basket and folded it up into the trunk, no problem.

I think in my Mom's mind it is always "what will the neighbor's think", and I think maybe she feels that the walker makes Dad look old. Well, my parents ARE in their mid-90's :P

That rolling walker was so great, Dad was walking way ahead of Mom instead of trailing far behind her if he had used his cane :)
(4)

I hit post before checking for errors and saying that I absolutely LOVE this site and most of you on it. This should be a place of truth and love and support and helpfulness, and getting OUR therapy by helping others.

OK, I feel better getting that off my chest.

I know I will be attacked both publicly and privately, but I also know that I will get more KUDOS for speaking the truth, and what so many want to say, and don't have the courage. Thanks for listening.
(2)

OMG My whole first post got lost! I gave it a lot of time and energy and I am out of both now. I will be back!
(4)

ff, God bless your parent's, if it wasn't so annoying at times,I'd think they were cutie pies , of course I'd send them right on home to you, after I told them how cute they were :D
(2)

JeanetteB, LOL :)

This year I am trying to find humor in what they do... that seems to help take some of the edge off. Both my parents can still laugh at themselves. And Dad is a punster.
(1)

humor helps a lot ff . ( feels strange referring to someone as ff in a friendly way , ?? )
my cuz used to just be exasperated when shed deal with aunt edna . cuz is still a little jealous of edna and i but ive taught her enough about dementia and its accompanying falsehoods that she smiles and laughs at her moms craziness now . its a tremendous improvement for both of them .
" ff " is usually the default name for men who wave at me upon passing me on the road . the dumba**es tint their windows , how am i to recognize them . of course if a woman waves , by default it must have been " hor " ..
(2)

Veronica...thank you...I think you are right...I guess I am mourning the loss of my home more than I thought I would...all of that is so final now...and of course that is a good thing, and yet, it still stings the way it came about...and still the sting on knowing it did not have to happen the way it did had we had even a little help from the other one...but all that being over did finally "seal the deal" and put the proverbial nail in the coffin of what used to be my life. Mama has been exceptionally quiet the last few days and that is frightening too. Mama has a lot of faith, and I do as well, I know Mama is ready to go and she has truly been and remains an exceptional woman but still the knowing that life is again going to change when all that comes to pass....thanks for the hugs...and the understanding... and yes, still thankful for those brilliant and warm moments of clarity that we continue to be blessed with every now and then....she seems comfortable..that is a blessing....
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter