Follow
Read More
@Bounce

Thanks for the kind words but I didn't do it alone. I reconciled with my former husband and it's the second best thing I ever did. The best thing I ever did was marrying him in the first place. God only knows what I'd be today if things had continued on as they were.

@NHWM

I have to ask. Is your friend who's the drug rep a very attractive woman? When I lived out in California years ago I knew a girl who was a drug rep and went around to doctor's offices. She told me I'd be good at that job. The only requirements for that job are you have to be hot, smile a lot and be flirty and flattering to the doctors.
No thanks. I had a job and I'm not great at sucking up or stroking someone's ego.
(2)

Beatty,

I know people who have done aqua therapy. The water is soothing and it helps with achieving fluid movements.
(1)

Re sciatia.. had physio, massage, heat, ice, rested, exercise STILL THERE. Eventually listened to a wise friend who recomonded acupuncture & hydrotherapy.

Accupuncture offered instant warmth & relief (bit sore later that night). Then mostly gone. Was like a reset. Apparently not everyone is that lucky, it doesn't work for all or takes a few sessions.

I added warm water pool walking & now do regularly which seems to keep it at bay.

Llama, I hope you find relief. It sucks.
(1)

Burnt,

Your statements are so true.

Many times I have been waiting in my doctor’s office to see her and a pharmaceutical sales rep comes in with a briefcase full of different meds to show the doctor!

I have a friend who is a pharmaceutical sales representative. She says that she is a ‘legal’ drug dealer, 🤣 who gives out samples all day long to the doctors.

My friend will occasionally play golf with some of her clients (doctors) and they consistently chat about drugs. It’s a huge business with lots of marketing going on.
(3)

I know people who have had success with acupuncture too. Good suggestion, cw.
(1)

Llama - sciatica was the reason I first moved in with my mom and she found acupuncture treatments very helpful, so much so that she was able to recover enough that I began to make plans to move out and on with my life. (but you know what they say about the best laid plans...)
(2)

@Llama

My heart goes out to you with the sciatica pain. I know how that is. From time to time I've been in such pain from it that I can barely walk and every move feels like I'm getting stabbed.
Physical therapy helped me. I do the exercises I learned there several times a day even in the office.
I had a flare-up about a month or so ago. It lasted about a week, but it wasn't that bad. Try PT.

@Bounce

You know I think doctors prescribe all these drugs because they're like children with new toys that are also getting paid to play with.

They just want to see what these drugs will do.
I went to the doctor awhile back and she was doing her best to get me on a couple anti-depressants because I "need" them.

I told her that my life was a miserable living hell and anyone would have depression if they were living in unemployed poverty and working as an unpaid care slave to an abusive parent who they never got along with. I was a hundred pounds overweight at the time because the situation brought me so low that all I did was eat. I had no social life and really nothing to live for. It took everything I had just to get out of bed every day.

I started to dig myself out of the hole I was in by watching my diet and getting some exercize. When I was losing the weight some good things happened to me.
When I got away from my mother, I was cured.

There's no med that cures poverty. Or loneliness. Or negativity.
I'm glad I didn't get talked into going on meds.
(4)

I feel the same way, Alva. My physical therapist was fantastic. It’s hard work but so worth it. Our bodies are meant to move.
(1)

Yes, in my opinion PT can help with sciatic pain. Largest nerve and takes longest to heal and pain can be ANYWHERE from back to down legs into feet and can even refer to the groin. PT to me is the best of medical care, and they know more about the body than most docs, are often better diagnosticians. As every "back back" is as individual as your own thumb print I think there's nothing so good as a PT consult for any musculo skeletal issues.

Most RNs and I am one, suffer from the "nurse's back" and that's almost all sciatic. I used to have awful issue with it. Now for me it is keep moving no matter the pain, no sitting, only standing, walking and semi fowlers. Zero gravity chair was lifesaving for me. Back goes in and out, and I am pretty much an old hand at handling it now. PT has great stretching exercises to help.
(2)

Does physical therapy help with sciatic pain? Two of my brothers had back surgery in the past. I remember them saying that they did certain exercises to help relieve pain. Neither of them wanted to take meds on a regular basis.

Does back pain become so severe that it is difficult to exercise?

Physical activity can reduce pain. That’s what my orthopedic surgeon told me after surgery on my arm after my accident. My husband was told the same thing after his shoulder surgery.

I hated the muscle spasms and did take muscle relaxers for a short period of time. I only take pain meds when I absolutely have to. They upset my stomach and I have never taken meds longer than needed.

Being sedentary isn’t good for anyone. If a person can exercise, it is helpful for their physical and mental wellbeing.

My daughter blew out her knees from so many years of dance classes and being on the dance team at school.

She did PT after her surgery. She walks plenty because she walks her energetic husky daily. She no longer goes to the gym to do aerobic exercise. She started doing yoga and she loves it. It’s easier on her knees.

I have a neighbor who broke her back in an awful accident. She had lots of PT.
(1)

Llama, my hubs started using the pill form for neuropathy in his fingers. He says it gives him some relief, maybe 50%. Sometimes it gives him a stomachache. I've had sciatica when I was pregnant (and for sometime afterwards). It's painful for sure. I hope you can get some relief.
(2)

Has anyone had any success with Nervive for sciatic nerve pain? Got some from Amazon - hasn't arrived yet. A cream. Tia.
(1)

Bounce.
Cymbalta was a one pill pony for me. Would never take another.
I have underlying IBS so start there, but I had the dead on worst watery diarrhea I ever had in my life. Never saw the like of it. Turns out it's common and that it's the serotonin released into the bowel that does it. For some it goes away and others are out there taking STEROIDS for activated IBS. I joined two FB groups about Cymbalta and to tell the truth I am glad I can't take it. The titrating off it is apparently awful with brain zaps, exhaustion, sleepless, mental changes, chills. And the withdrawal takes forever with some left with permanent things such as the brain zaps. I had no idea one little 20mg pill could be so powerful.
So long and short is that my nasty nature isn't going to turn into sunshine and roses here. Sorry, kids.
As I wrote my Doc, I will stick with the nerve pain and the anxiety. I am a PRO at those, but this pill is scary. I would have to carry a portapotty with me! And lucky to make it onto the thing in time!
Yikes, better living through chemistry never DID work for me. I should have known!
(5)

Bounce: Thank you. Not looking forward to bedtime.
(1)

Geaton: The Ibuprofen had a sleepless result for me. Rough night with about 2 and a half hours of sleep.
(1)

Ibuprofen is bad for your kidneys, too.

"Ibuprofen constricts blood vessels to reduce pain and inflammation, but this also decreases renal blood flow. This reduction in blood flow can reduce your kidney function, and improper use of medication such as ibuprofen may impair the kidneys."

Source: https://healthmatch.io/kidney-disease/is-ibuprofen-bad-for-your-kidneys#ibuprofen-side-effects

And then there's Tylnenol (acetominophen) - bad for your liver:

"Harmless at low doses, acetaminophen has direct hepatotoxic potential when taken as an overdose and can cause acute liver injury and death from acute liver failure. Even in therapeutic doses, acetaminophen can cause transient serum aminotransferase elevations."

Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK548162/#:~:text=Harmless%20at%20low%20doses%2C%20acetaminophen,cause%20transient%20serum%20aminotransferase%20elevations.

My knee surgeon did tell me about it's affect on BP.
(3)

The thing people often DON'T know about Ibuprofen is that it can also raise the blood pressure and very much worsen diverticulitis and anything else to do with the gut. It blocks a COX 2 enzyme needed for the lining of the gut. People always think of it as benign; it was my drug of choice with my old nurse's back. I now take nothing for pain, but given age related musculoskeletal issues finally my doc told me that just "dealing" with the chronic cervical and lower back pain wasn't a great idea, and started cymbalta for a try. While I don't suffer from depression at all, I am an "anxious type" and with BP needing some control, and pain always an issue no matter how active I am, she thought it worth a try. Will let you kids know. My normally pretty fair mood may turn sunny indeed? Better living through chemistry? Not sure yet.
(4)

Llama, I've never known that ibuprofen gives one a problem falling to sleep. If that were the case across the board I'd never have gotten a wink of it during my knee replacement recovery since I was on fantastic amounts of it 24/7 for weeks. It must only affect certain people. It has never affected me that way, thankfully.
(4)

Bounce: Yes, thank you. I'm not one to be 'down for the count.'
(2)

Need: Thank you so much!
(1)

Alva: Yep, woke up screaming to my DH to get some medicine. Plus you really shouldn't take Ibuprofen before bed due to the difficulty of falling asleep. Thank you!
(1)

Good luck, Pam on getting everything sorted out.
(3)

I hope that you feel better soon, Llama. Back injuries are quite literally a pain to deal with!
(3)

Llama, well to I know the turning in bed in your sleep and calling out in pain. Well does my PARTNER know it. The nerve pain is what nerve are meant to do----shock. And yeah, the spasms that result after the nerve pain are daunting. As in "I cannot move".

Worst worst worst worst for me, getting up and down off the toilet. And we are talking the raised ones, the higher ones. Alas. You have the sympathy of every nerve in my body. Just want you to know that this, too, will pass.
(4)

Alva: Thank you! I was glad that I realized that I had injured my back/sciatica nerve myself (after a very active day and then the overreach/over stretch). I am sorry that you, too, have experienced back pain. I was grateful for the Toradol injection, as initially the Ibuprofen wasn't touching the pain. I don't look forward to bedtime as last night was HARD. I've already used my PCP's portal to schedule the f/u appt. I am a 76 year old woman, who always puts myself last. Tough to amend, but I had to.
(4)

Llama , you’re welcome
(0)

way: Thank you.
(1)

well a whine and a not whine..LOL They finally approved my medicare!! Its been pending since 8/1.. a screw up on their end with my birth date so I had to take in my BC ( which I would not have known if I had not called them). BUT,, they said it will be "a few weeks" maybe until I get my letter and card. Which I need to finish processing my medicine card ( I do have the health insurance.) My poor broker is going nuts, and if I don't have a number by the end of the month I'll be self paying my meds until Dec. I did tell the person I spoke to today that I really need it sooner rather than later.. he said it could be sooner so I will keep checking! wish me luck! And my new crown is doing great.. so that is good news!
(7)

Yeah, Barb. A good point!
(1)

I guess my point is, you have to completely read the discharge summary and understand what you're looking at.
(5)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter