Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Golden & Betty,Thank you.So this afternoon for once dr took my husband’s case seriously.She ordered MRI, which initially was going to take 2-3 days, but happened this evening, so of course no results yet.But looks like maybe they are going to do proper evaluation as the general consensus (after consulting with his neurologist) those symptoms are highly unlikely PD.
NHWM,
Sorry to hear about your friend.
But, like Betty, friend hardly 50 had a stroke, but recovered almost completely, lost some vision in one eye.
I think he also discovered how much he wanted to do in his life and it seems he is doing a lot, changed his job, travelled etc. Total survivor!
(8)

Hothouseflower: Hope that you can get some sleep.
(5)

Need: Prayers for your friend.
(4)

hothouse ((((hugs)))) I hope you can get a good night's sleep. I know the ongoing stress is awful.
(4)

My whine moment: just tired of the stress. My mother doesn’t want the free aide and hospice is not going to supply one anymore. My mother doesn’t ask her to do anything so the person sits there for three hours. My mother deliberately does not give her any tasks because she is a control freak and wants to control the situation and she doesn’t want her around. My mother wants to drive the bus, so go ahead and do it.

my sister got into an argument with the eldercare attorney’s paralegal and I received a call from the para that she does not want to speak to my sister anymore and will deal only with me.

I had a giant glass of wine and am going to bed. I want the world to go away.
(7)

Beatty,

I like that terminology. Stroke survivors instead of victims. Sadly, my friend isn’t able to walk right now. I’m so hoping that she will improve
(4)

MD,

That’s a good idea to speak further about it. She is a person that I know never to call her early or ask her to have an early morning coffee with me. She has never been awake before 10:00. Sometimes she wakes up at noon! LOL 😆

I know that she hates waking up early but I have no idea how flexible they are with the schedule.

Thanks, Golden

Another friend of mine and I are going to try and see her on Thursday evening.
(4)

Eva - wondering how things are with you and your dh today. Any progress? Sure hope that the drs find what is going on and not just focus on the PD.

Need - sorry to hear about your friend. As Way says, a stroke is usually followed by depression. Hope she gets the help she needs and makes a good recovery.
(3)

Need, so sorry to hear about your friend. Keep the message on being a 'Stroke Survivor' now (not a stroke victim).

That comes from a wonderful lady, who not just survived her stroke, but thrived. Learnt to walk & talk again + reinvented her life.

The stroke uncovered how UNsupportive the husband really was, how unsuitable their townhouse was (too many stairs) how her job wouldn't work... So left spouse, moved & made a new home, left her job & started back up with her art.

Very inspiring 😊

Sadly I suspect post stroke depression is very common - literally depresses motivation to move, try & engage.

Attending therapy, regardless of *wanting* to or not. "Just Do It" attitude. Then downtime afterwards to avoid brain fatigue is usually recommended.
(6)

Evamar, thinking of you & sending my warmest thoughts. What a scary time. I hope answers arrive today & then effective treatment. (((Hugs)))
(4)

Way,

I almost laughed when they came into her room to verify her schedule.

Oh my gosh, my friend is not one to hold her tongue. LOL 😆 She says, 7:30? Oh no, make it 10:00 and I will be there!

They kept the schedule as it was. They won’t move it until later. Believe me, she tried!

I think she does have some type of emotional therapy as well. I heard her nurse speaking with her about it.

My dad had some depression after his stroke. It’s heartbreaking to struggle with trying to recover. Daddy was never himself again after his stroke.
(4)

Need ,
Depression is almost a given after a stroke. Also , Maybe they could make her therapy later in the morning ? And have a counselor speak to her for some depression therapy ?
(5)

A friend of mine went into rehab about a week ago. I went to see her yesterday evening.

She had a stroke. She’s doing speech,, occupational and physical therapy. She’s scared and depressed and has actually always struggled with anxiety. She’s on Wellbutrin.

She has always been a night owl and doesn’t want to wake up early for therapy. I tried to encourage her. She has it in her mind that none of this will help even though it has only been a week since her stroke.

They are giving her trazodone before bedtime, which she says doesn’t really help with her insomnia.

I’m starting to wonder if she will see much benefit from rehab. She’s given up and has little hope.
(5)

So much going on with everyone and their LO(((Hugs))) to all who need them. ♡♡
(8)

Golden,
Thank you. Will insist on getting some answers.
(3)

((((eva)))))) glad dh has his own room now.. Praying for some answers to morrow and for peace for you both. This is pretty distressing.

barb - what other's have said. Is it time for ex mil to move to AL. and/or can she visit with her friend. If she is blind and cannot visit her friend without help, she is hardly independent. Counselling/sw is a good idea anyway.
(3)

Evamar: You're very welcome.
(2)

Thank you Way, Golden and Llama.
At least hubby was moved tonight to his own room, ER told us dr will be there. No doctor on that floor at night!
Maybe tomorrow will get some answers.
(5)

Evamar: Prayers and hugs.
(3)

PS My own relative has just moved from IL to AL for exactly those reasons: worsening sight & memory issues.

From an apartment to one room + ensuite. Much less belongings. I feel sad she has had to downsize again, but it is a better fit.
(2)

Barb, I first thought of having staff assist exMIL to visit her friend in AL. Eg drop off & come back for in an hour but this depends on staff availabilty. Also, I wondered if exMIL is independant throughout the visit?

Wondering if AL would be a better fit for exMIL now too? Now that her memory & sight issues are limiting her independance?
(2)

Barb,
I agree. Can ExMIL get some counseling also. Can she visit her friend in AL , Can't the facility help these friends visit? I'm sure the friend would like the visits as well.
(4)

Dear Whine friends, I need some advice

My Ex MIL is in a really nice CCRC, in the Independent Living level.

She is partially blind from an occipital (?) stroke, no short term memory, still mobile and in a place with lovely grounds, swimming pool and activities.

One of her good friends recently had to move to the AL side- she'd been in IL with aides and was burning through lots of money and had to move. Ex Mil is apparently quite bereft.

ExDH is asking everyone in the family, myself included, to visit more often because his mom is so "down".

I don't think that's the real solution. I think she might need some better mental health intervention (i.e. meds) a SW to facilitate more socializing, whatever.

Any and all suggestions are thankfully received!
(5)

Evamar, so sorry you and your husband are going through this . You are so right about the ER docs not looking further . A few months ago my nephew took my 68 year old sister to the ER 3 times before they figured out what was wrong. She could hardly walk some days . They did scans ruled out stroke each time assumed , Parkinson’s, or ALS, which I doubted because it came on too quickly. They told her to go to neurologist . She got to see a PA at a neurologist office who ordered tests . While waiting to go for testing , she got worse , a fever and she got delirium at home , my nephew called 911. Turned out she had hypoxia from pneumonia and metabolic encephalopathy due to tumors on her adrenal glands . She has history of Lupus and rare neuroendocrine tumors . They didn’t take that into consideration , at first , just kept ruling out stroke and sending her home until she was no longer lucid and had a seizure from the encephalopathy . You fight for them to dig further to find out or rule out things . ((((Hugs)))).
(4)

(((((Eva)))) I'm so sorry for what s happening to your husband. It must be very scary for both of you, You know him best, not the doctors. Praying the root cause of this is found and treated. Please keep us updated!
(3)

NHWM,
Thanks.
(2)

Alvadeer,
Yes, freezing is fairly normal as far as normal goes with PD.
Scary, but happened before and my hubby is able to unfreeze quickly. He is strong. At least was before yesterday.
Cwillie,
Yea, you are so right.
Only saw ER doctor and only doctor once yesterday for 5-10 minutes. Today all morning I demanded some answers, nurses just minimize seriousness of it all as they look at the notes and emphasis were put yet again on Parkinson’s. Not nurses fault of course, they are wonderful people, just telling me what dr wrote.
What I know sudden deterioration in PD occurs over weeks/ months and the cause is related to specific symptoms rather than progression of PD. It is important cause is treated over obvious symptoms of PD. Effective treatment of root cause will prevent worsening of Parkinson’s.
And like you said I am suspecting spinal fracture, tumour?
Thanks
(5)

Wishing you and your husband all the best, Evamar. Hugs!
(2)

ER docs always look for the easiest answer Evamar, you have a lot of good reasons to push them to dig a little deeper. Have they ever looker for anything like a possible spontaneous spinal fracture?
(5)

Evamar, have they discussing "freezing of gait" with you? It is quite common for some in Parkinson's. It can come and go. It often cannot be predicted or treated. There is a lot for you online to look through as you wait here--google "frozen gait" and Parkinson's or Parkinson's freezing of gait." The brain and the body just don't coordinate over the synapse.

I am so sorry you are going through this and hope things get better.
(3)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter