Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Im a 58 yr old retired Civil Servant as burned in a Fire in 1973 and since 1990 retired from UPS with the following, COPD (from the fire) 2 false hips (from working hard for UPS) and legally blind from infant Encephilitis..yes I am on Social Security for more then 18 yrs now.. Now to vent..My Father who is 86 yrs old,an active SMOKER for 65+ yrs has RENAL FAILURE,lost his wife in 2001, then his lady friend this past month, has now unfortunatly put us in a bad position as caused a public scene at a resterant with us present..we will lucky not to be ejected or him cited for disorderly conduct, he disgraced my daughter who with her boyfriend and their baby attending as well...we must decide what we should do..he must learn to SHUT UP in public as to service rendered as delay as busy,he must not harase staff as delay in seating as table size needed was in use, and complain to waiter on portion size as (just take it home)..he complained of the cost,but it was on a gift card we had and my taking care of a portion of the Tip was my duty.. This is not the first time he has done this with us present,we know he has Uremic Poisioning and Dementia..and most likely depression due to his lady friends death this past month..after his wifes death in 2001..growth of thick skin has been chaffed from 2 other past experiences of wifes family as one suicide and one murder (by hospital)..and my mother (his wife) as having Parkenson's Disease.. wasting away...Every child must in time deal with 2 to 4 elderly parents as marriage for 31 yrs now. I will die from COPD its only time which now seperates my self and my father as his condition and mine.My wife will be taken care of.. THus we almost had deal with the issue of possible civil action by the resterant towards him...police were called..they let him leave with us....
(0)

I have been taking care of my dear, sweet Mom for 7 years and her dementia is getting worse at times. Stimulating her by company coming over, even family members makes it worse for her and for me. She will stay up and talk for 2 -3 days straight non-stop. I do have a sister who is a nurse and 2 brothers, one a PA and the other a factory worker. My sister moved to California with a guy she met and my brother who is the PA is there when I need him and my other brother will watch her if I need him to occasionally. I have left my job to care for my Mom and some days I don't know how much more I can take mentally, financially and physically. My Mom and I were always very close so I know I can never do anything but what I am doing now. It is so hard at times and I don't know where to turn some days. God helps me and I know he is helping all of you. He will give us the strength we need to care for our loved ones. I believe that and it is what sustains me through the days I feel defeated. I know I am depressed at times because I feel trapped. Not being able to run to the store or the bank for even 10 mins is so frustrating at times. Our freedom has been taken away from us because of love. The love I have for my Mom is unconditional and everlasting. What is so hard is that she looks great and looks like my Mom but doesn't always act like my Mom. It hurts deeply. Thank you ~ God Bless all of You~Bev
(0)

Bev, I am where you are as far as sometimes not knowing how much more you can take mentally, physically and financially. Also the depression and the frustration of not being able to just walk out the door for even a few minutes. But like you I have all faith in God and I just know that He will see all of us through. Fortunately my Mom is completely ok mentally, though I do believe she had a mini-stroke recently which left her unable to recognize me or herself or anyone else, and speaking some unknown language. But thank God that passed and I do have all of her back again. I'm so sorry that your Mom suffers from dementia, I pray that both of you will be able to deal with it. Keep coming here to vent, everyone knows how it feels and are very supportive.

Jill
(0)

Pudinpie,
Your post brought tears to my eyes!What a wonderful and honest daughter you are. I can't imagine how you are going to miss her. But I know you will cherish all the time left. And as to getting your life back, it's like riding a bicycle,you'll know what to do. My prayers are with you and your mom. Take care and keep us informed about how things are. God bless you!
(0)

PJ Thank you for responding to my comment. I too pray your Mom continues to improve. Dementia is a strange disease. My Mom knows me most of the time. Certain medications and like I said stimulation just make her so out of it. I do have a marathon when that happens. Thank you again for caring~Bev
(0)

Lindam

I will miss my Mom and not sure what will happen after that. I try not to think about that even though I know I should be. It is as though I cannot stand one more big problem to worry about. Day to day is how I live! I appreciate your insight about me and I am very honest when it comes to feelings and how I feel about loving someone. I thank you so much for saying I am a wonderful daughter (that brought tears to my eyes) because that is so important to me. I just want to be the best daughter I can. will keep you informed and I am going to go back and read your story too so I can also be there for you. Bev
(0)

Bev,
In reading your posts I can see myself. Loving my mother dearly and not even thinking about someone else taking care of her. It is my responsibility. I do not have any siblings I am a only child. I to do not work in order to take care of my mother, but found out after a year I could not be there 24/7. It was taking a huge toll on me emotionly, physically, and mentally. I enrolled in a community college near by. I know not every one can afford to go back to school. It does put a crunch on our finances. The walks, books, etc got where they were not enough for me. I looked into support groups in the are but they were at times I could not attend.
I do feel trapped in my own home. I can not go anywhere unless I have someone to be with mom for the time I am gone. The family does not understand. They think they can do anything and Granny will be ok. Well with her mind you never know what she is going to try next. Every time I would leave I would get a phone call telling me she had fell. She never got hurt seriously, but still that shows me she can not be left alone for a period of time. The family comes and goes as they please without thinking about mom. I had told my family I was going out for myself on November 11th and guess what they all made plans that did not include me or mom. Of course they all went their own way not together. But still I had told them I needed the day out. As usual no one listened to me. I am so tired I just do not know how much more I can take. I am starting to resent everyone in my family unfortunely my mother also. I know I should not feel that way. But I do. I feel I can say that to you ladies and gentlemen because you can understand. Well I have written a book and need to get off here to let someone else vent. I hope your New Year is good for you.
All caregivers are in my prayers and thoughts. Bless you all.
(0)

Happy New Year, everyone.

Well last night my husband and I were able to get out for a couple of hours for New Year's Eve, but not without complaint from his grandma. She said that she didn't want to left alone at night. We do have Lifeline for her. So we gave her the phone number to our friend's house plus she had our cell numbers. I even told her that I would call to check on her ( I did) and we were home before midnight.
She'll say that she's going to bed, but she'll be up for the next hour coming out in the living and telling us Daisey (our cat) can sleep in her bed if Daisy wants to. Grandma will worry about Daisey until Grandma is crying crodale tears, because she says that she worries about the cat. Yesterday she started this same crap. Believe me this happens every single day, it's about to drive me nuts and my husband too. I told Grandma that we told Daisey that her job was to catch mice at night (we don't have a mouse problem) so that's why Daisey sleeps all day and you don't see her. See Grandma says that she hasn't seen Daisey all day, but she has sometimes an hour doesn't go by without Daisey being in the living room.
Recently Grandma has started saying that she hears Daisey crying. We tell her that Daisey isn't crying. Grandma's response is well, it must be in my head then.
I'm just wondering should we be talking to Grandma's dr., about all of this especially with all the crying that Grandma does? I keep telling Grandma that it's not good for her to get upset like.
Any Suggestions from anyone? I know that I've asked before and it's starting to sound like a broken record. We have no idea what to do about this. Thanks for letting me vent.
(0)

Well, for what it is worth, now that the holidays are over, some of the depression and sadness is passing. Hope this is true for all of the people you are caring for. The expectations of the holidays are so great that we cannot help but be disappointed. Now that we must face winter, the expectations are lower and maybe everyone can just let go of all those high hopes till next holiday season.
I am not saying winter is not a tough season to get through, but I know most everyone else must trudge through it too. Misery shared is not half as bad as misery that only I think I am suffering through alone.
Just some thoughts. Happy Saturday (or Friday for you night owls! [grin])
Stillsongs
(0)

As the caregiver for my 91 year old Mother and strange things are beginning to happen, I sure would like some advice on how to handle situations involving a very head strong woman who is beginning to do things not in her best interests and could be harmful to her. I'm always interested in preventing problems rather than reacting to them when possible. She lives alone, I live next door. I do for her what she can't do for herself but she still manages to fix her one or two meals a day - says that's all she wants. All her life she has been very cautious about opening the door to strangers, now she does it at will with no idea who is at the door except she says obviously they want to talk to her or they woldn't be there and she can't hear them through the door. No amount of gentle talking will get her to accept this could be dangerous even though she believed it all her life. She is no longer reliable when taking her meds but hangs on to them for dear life. She's almost deaf, has short term memory loss, on oxygen 24/7. In other words, she's as independent as a hog on ice but seems determined to do things that someone else has to go behind and try to fix. I check on her every day, most days more than once, but in between times she seems to be able to get something twisted around but doesn't see that with just a little help she could still take care of her own business without so many problems cropping up. Is there a gentle way to get her to accept that things aren't as they used to be and we need to make some changes? I try to keep her day as normal as possible but I find it nearly impossible to not do something when I see it may lead to her being harmed, either physically or financially. Two plus two doesn't seem to equal four to her anymore.
(0)

Hi Everyone. Hope the hollidays weren't too stressful and a little cheerful. I just wanted to let you know what my mom did.If you go back through the back posts you would find that my mom has trouble finding the bathroom sometimes and would squat and pee on the floor, which is carpeted. Well, when I went to the bathroom the other morning I looked in my 2 year old great granddaughters' potty chair. Sure enough it was almost over flowing with you know what. Mom must have used it during the night. How she can squat that low without falling I'll never know. I thought you might get a little chuckle out of that one. Barb
(0)

That's a great story, Barbees! I think most of us could use a chuckle. Maybe, if you can latch onto an adult sized commode, she would get the hint. Who knows? She may prefer the little one, but as you say, it's pretty low.

Anyway, thanks for your admirable, upbeat post.
Carol
(0)

Baffled, you have company. It sounds like your mother is entering some type of dementia, which half or more people who are over 85 would have . Her independent years (though you've been and will continue to be her caregiver - even if she doesn't admit that), are numbered. She'll need hired help, or to go to an assisted living center with additinal services for medication. At least she'd be safe from strangers. Most assisted living places don't do medication, but you can pay extra for that service. She doesn't sound yet like she's so advanced she needs a nursing home, but if her dementia progresses, she may.

Good luck and please keep checking in.
Carol
(0)

Carol, I agree with you about the future, but she's in that awkward stage to where she still insists she's capable of all things except heavy work. She's not, she regularly messes up her financial affairs and asks me to fix things for her, but it's never her fault of course. Some things just have to be handled in silence I guess. Assisted living is out there but I think she's still not ready to give up her home. We've had her meds put in blister packs for a month at a time and it's easy for me to glance and see if she's taking what is needed when it's needed. If your local drugstores don't offer that service, they should. Each dose is labeled as to what it is and when it's to be taken and comes in a larger container for different times of the day. Before, she'd forget whether or not she had taken her meds and take them again. Now, it's obvious whether or not she has taken as directed. She doesn't like the fact I can check on her with just a glance but I try not to be obvious about it. The physical safety feature is my biggest worry. My uncle was placed in an assisted living facility and learned to love it. Mother cries every time she thinks about that, says it's awful the family would do that to a person (emotional blackmail I guess). I didn't know that about them charging extra for meds, thanks for that info.
(0)

I'm so glad you mentioned the blister packs. I wish they'd been available long ago. I know many nursing homes use them.

Yes, you'll be "cleaning up" for awhile, until something traumatic enough happens to get her to move on. I understand the reluctance of an elder to give up their "independence," even though they have a caregiver like you in the background. That, they can ignore : )

It's frustrating, but they have a right to make their own decisions. Sometimes, that results in big problems, but we can't save them until they are ready (or in such bad shape social services steps in).

Bless you for your brains, caring and understanding. It's hard. Please join us when you can.

Carol
(0)

You can prchase and set up your own medication blister paks - these are empty kits available at most large drugstore chains (Example: RiteAid & Walgreen's) - if you dont see the product or can't get to the store ask them to order the empty kits for you if you would prefer to handle it yourself.

I'd like to suggest that if you are seeing that your mom doesn't always take her pills, or have to assume if they are gone that she took them, it is probably time be less trusting and start monitoring the medications by taking charge of the pills and doling them out at the appropriate time. Although it may seem like one more thing to do, there is so much that can go wrong if you are not 100% certain about compliance. I know it is not always easy to have to make that extra trip, but if you live close by it is worth it for her health and your peace of mind.

C
(0)

Regardless of what I know and how much experience I have, I let her push my buttons yesterday.I was tired from early on and had really been monitering myself to not talk harsh or be impatient with her. She had a family dinner to go to in the late afternoon. The woman has 3, yes 3, closets full of clothes. But this happens EVERY time she has to wear something besides everyday clothes. She had in her mind an outfit she wanted to wear.There is a good possibility this does not even exist. But we start the search and of course it wasn't there. Then the normal 30 minute rant that her daughters had thrown it out. I know not to try and tell her otherwise, and just let her hurmph around and finally sidetracked her to find something else. Of course nothing would do. I finally threw up my hands and said "then do it yourself" and stomped (like a 5 year old) outside.I had a little "rant" of my own. This is in the country, but I wouldn't have cared where I was. I was that angry.
I regrouped and went back in and like nothing happened.She was in the back of the house still talking. She didn't even know I had been gone!!!! I had to laugh then. I wasted a good temper tantrum. Ahhh, to be human and know there is humor in just about all situations. She finally found something to wear and all was good with the world.
I will encourge her to consolidate her clothing she likes to wear into one closet. If I know she is going to have a meltdown, then fix the sitation.
A word that has been popping into my mind alot lately is "empathy". I have not experianced what she is going thru, so have nothing to compare it to, but apparently this is being brought to my attention for a reason. Will let ya'll know of any progress or be posting "empathy-spemathy", when I once again throw my hands in the air!
Again words can not express my deep respect for all of you who do this 24/7. Surely there is a special place in heaven for caregivers. Thank ya'll for being here for me.
(0)

Baffled,
Preparedness can save the day when things get out of control. Durable power of attorney would make your position stronger if things go down hill and she is not being reasonable. I thought it was impossible for me to sign someone into a medical situation, but I had to when they were unconscious and unable to decide. Otherwise they get a court appointed guardian which leaves you out in the cold. Maybe she already has one prepared with the will. If not, her condition sounds like you had better get moving immediately IF you want to be the durable power of attorney. You pay her bills or hire someone to do that at her expense, you manage the paperwork flow. Maybe you should research more of what is involved if you hesitate to devote more time. Another paper needed in many cases is a universal health care proxy that is good anywhere, not just at one hospital.
I empathize with your need for empathy. I too vent some steam and act as if nothing has happened. I try to minimize but the pressure somedays for a caregiver can be intense.
I know the day to day stuff is important but if you wait too long, she will not be able to sign for the POA or healthcare proxy if the lawyer thinks she is not competent.
Our hearts reach ouit to you.
Stillsongs
(0)

It isgood to see new people on this site as well as my old friends what a joy to be back on- I felt alone without my friends- none of my church friends called and it was lonely.
(0)

I have been taking care of my 77 year old Mother since my Dad passed away in January 2007. I took an early retirement from my career and spent the next 8 months getting her home of 30 years prepared to remodel and put on the housing market, then moved her into my home. I am married to a wonderful husband and have a great daughter that helps me as much as she can. However, I have 3 siblings, one in Florida and 1 in N.C. Neither of these siblings can seem to understand just what I do for my Mom. The one sibling that lives near me on the West Coast, just a few miles away helps when she can. Actually, none of them help. The sibling that lives near by, stops in from time to time, listens to me vent about the other siblings and gives me a pat on the back. Not really what I am looking for. The 2 siblings that are out of state, don't speak to me at all. I have tried to communicate with them, but end up the bad daughter. Mom has been with me for 14 months now and they have each visited once. I have asked that they come more often and I do realize that they have work schedules and such, but this is the only parent they have left. They tend to make promises to Mom about visits, but don't ever show up. I recently sent them all an email to voice my feelings regarding the false promises and became this monster in my family.

My siblings do not believe my Mom needs a caregiver. I've tried to explain to them that they don't see her on a daily basis and have no real clue. They only know what my Mom tells them over the telephone. I have asked them to communicate with me about visits to my state or wanting Mom to visit them in their states. But they have refused to do that. I help my Mom with her daily tasks, her banking, I cook for her and drive her where she needs to go. These things I do not mind doing, but I do mind being beat up by my siblings on a regular basis.

I am not sure what to do with keeping my temper with my siblings. At this time in my life I am so stressed out and unhappy. My Mom is a Diamond in my treasure chest and I would do anything for her. But she will not say anything to my siblings regarding how she see's them treat me. That hurts.

If anyone has some advise on what I should do about my disrespectful siblings, please let me know. I am about at my wits end.

Nonnee
(0)

Nonnee, you've touched on a problem many people have. When it's all said and done, you can't change your siblings, all I know that you can do is relax, enjoy your Mom, try to just ignore the siblings, and do for your mom what you know needs doing. You only have to answer for yourself, the siblings will be responsible for what they do or don't do. Try to put their behavior back on their shoulders, don't bear it for them. I do have one definite piece of advice, don't involve your mom in the discussions of bad feelings between siblings. You need to protect her from that if at all possible. She has enough prolems on the horizon that no one can bear for her, she'll have load enough without adding to it. It's too stressful for a parent to be dragged into sibling disagreements. Go to some quiet place, put the sibling problem into a box then close the lid and walk away. You're doing the right thing by taking care of your mom, don't let the siblings drag you down to their level.
(0)

Nonnee, baffled is right. You know that you are doing the best you can do and you know that mom is safe.My siblings are with in a radious of 10 miles . My younger sister is POA so she is in charge of the money. She comes over maybe twice a month. My brother lives maybe 3 miles before he got sick , we saw him about 5 or 6 times a year. And they both find fault with everything I do. They wanted to put mom in a home but since I have training they backed off. So I can only tell you ( this is the hardest part ) shrug them off. You know that you are doing the best for mom and that is all that counts. Barb
(0)

WELCOME BACK AUSTIN!!!!!!!!!
Have missed you and was very excited to hear you are back. Let us know what all has been going on. Looked for posts from you for awhile, so just know you WERE MISSED!!!!!!
(0)

nonnee,
As has been said this is a problem for a lot of people on this sight. But something I want you to think about......It takes ALOT of energy to be upset with your siblings. This is energy you can use for yourself and for your mom.
And as far as being the "bad guy" here, well, if you know what you are doing is best for your mom, then what they think is just no big deal. A very wise person once suggested this to me.....IF someone calls you a chair, does that make you a chair???? I know it's a little silly, but it does put things into perspective, yes?
Welcome to the sight that will get you thru another day.....God Bless
(0)

Would any of you like to discuss the elephant in the room that seems to be ignored in our talking about the frustrations of taking care of a parent? I've read many, many postings on this site and not once has anyone that I've read mentioned 'money/inheritance.' I think that is one of the underlying problems with siblings that most don't want to face. We're human, we don't want to be abused or taken advantage of, right?
Those who are with the parent day in and day out know that it would cost thousands of dollars per month to hire done what we do for them. Yet, most siblings sit back and just let that one do everything for 10-20 years without so much as a thank you. But, let that parent pass away and there they stand with their hand out to get their equal share of the estate.
As I said, we're only human but none of the posts I've read have even mentioned being paid as that is not what we're there for. The siblings not on the scene seem to get paranoid and get suspicious that the one taking care of mom or dad is slipping money out of the estate in one way or the other. The opposite is usually true, we usually spend money out of our own pockets.
This leads to tension between siblings but rarely is it ever spoken. Then the arguments and bad feelings get going. We work for years protecting their share of the estate (think of how their share would be drained if profession help was hired all those years) and what do they do? Gripe and moan about everything that goes on but without offering to help do anything.
Am I hitting some nerves? This seems to be the source of some deep down resentment that normal humans would feel from time to time.
We're not there for the money, we're there because it needs doing, we don't try to cheat the elderly, we don't expect any monetary gain from it and to think that others are sitting back nursing a feeling that somehow we might be taking financial advantage of them is maddening. When there is a dollar involved, paranoia suddenly appears in people who aren't on the scene.
I've even had a sibling hint around that mother must be buying groceries for more than one family. (Yes, I felt like smacking her). If they were around more, they'd see that mother eats well, buys loads of fresh veggies and anything else she wants to eat. Yes, her grocery bill is high but I'm delighted that she still eats that well at 91 years old. But, again it's the ones who aren't around who start causing tensions between siblings.
Any comments? I think it's a real problem gnawing at people and it may need airing. Understanding can lead to peace of mind or the ability to ignore some things.
(0)

Baffled, you said a lot. It happens all the time. People don't want to see Mom and Dad's money go to a care center or hired help, but are perfectly happy to let a sibling do the work, hopefully free.

A family should sit down and decide that the sibling doing all the work is worth a certain amount of money - early on, ideally, so that the elders are in agreement. It seems awkward, but putting it in writing would be best. Then there's no second guessing as the money dwindles.

Does this happen? Not often. One sibling falls into doing what needs to be done. Others are too far away to help or just don't "have the time." This, of course, implies that the one doing the caregiving does have the time, without making any sacrifice, not that they just are good people doing what needs to be done.

I read these very things you are talking about frequently on this site and I get emails and letters about it. It's something that families should address early, but don't. And some of that goes back to the fact that caregiving (for children or elders) isn't considered work. Hogwash. It's some of the hardest work ever done.

I hope that people will see this anguish and start addressing the issue. The money is for the elder's care. If there is any left, it's for inheritance. Paying for the elder's care is very expensive, and family - even paid family - is generally far cheaper than hiring outside care or using a care center. Once in a care center, only wealthy people can spend more than a short while there without spending their whole savings. If a sibling is willing to do the work for less pay, and can do it well, then that should make everyone happy. But it often doesn't. Greed is an ugly thing. You brought out a great topic.

One very important thing about this is keeping good records of where the money goes - even for groceries. Don't mingle finances. Whether a family member is paid or not, keeping records and having things in writing is the best protection not only from siblings who want the inheritance, but from problems with Medicaid, should the elder need to go to a care center and their money runs out. In the end, it's all much simpler to have it all in writing.

Yes, I know. For many, this is an afterthought, because you were so busy worrying about the elder and just taking care of them the best way you could, you never thought about record keeping it until someone raised a question. I happens all the time. If life were fair, this wouldn't be an issue, but it is.
Carol
(0)

Hi All,

I agree about the sibling thing. Baffled, I have a suggestion you might want to give to your siblings who 'question' grocery bills .....tell them to go online at your local grocery chain & buy an order / pay to have it delivered. Remind them to add the 3 -4 packs of disposible diapers / pads, and cleaning supplies.....more laundry than they know, I am sure. Watch them squeek and run.

The sad truth of the matter is that money as a bone of contention wrecks more families than anything. Its funny how the ones who don't want to help sit there & calculate how much they should "get"......while claiming that they have busy lives, careers, family matters etc. I would like to encourage all caregivers to declare this month National I DON"T CARE MONTH and let their siblings know in no uncertain terms that they either help out or shut up. (they won't but you will feel so much better saying it.) Write a letter to your local paper declaring it national I DONT CARE MONTH and describe the caregiving experience as it relates to Missing In Action relatives / siblings & Know-It-Alls. If you change your viewpoint, you will see that being sad doesn't change a thing - they will still snipe & comment. You will still carry the whole load waiting for recognition and help.

I know this board is a godsend for all of us, but sometimes I think the only thing that will truly help us & get us through another year is if we stop being victims of what our family members think and publically say NO MORE>

This year not one relative called on my mom's birthday, christmas or new years....not one sent her a card or present, I sent her cards 'from the relatives' and called them so she could say hi..... and I did acknowledge that they back away because some are scared as they are older and the prospect of ending up like my mom is troubling - not something you want to deal with during holidays.
And then, unlike other years when I forgave & moved on, I decided this year - enough. Sometimes understanding without reciprocity is not enough for caregivers - who are in the trenches everyday.

I encourage everyone to stand up & say - What About Me? WHat about my Mom / Dad / Spouse? It is your turn to get some recognition and thanks. There is no way that any amount of money could repay you for what you (all of us do) - so expect and demand recognition and respect.

Take care all,
(0)

LINDAM
Thank you-I sure missed all you guys and thought of all of you-esp. you. My son worked very hard to get the computer fixed. I will have a follow up xray on Tue and hope the fractures are healing I have not been able to follow the docs instructions much she does not get it what it takes to be a caregiver. Our church sent over food a few times but other than that I have been on my own.
(0)

MindingOurElders, Cat - Thanks for adding to the conversation, BOTH OF YOU ADDED SOME VERY INSIGHTFUL COMMENTS. My concern is that caregivers out there are letting that same thing eat at them and causing frustrations. If they will vent about it, it might help. Of course, we have to accept things as they are and siblings as they are, but I'm finding out late in life that it does help to talk and to find kindred souls out there struggling with the same things. We didn't get into this elderly care expecting money but neither did we expect siblings to act the way some of them do. I never could tolerate someone questioning my honesty, especially when such extreme measures are taken to make sure no such thing has an opportunity to surface. Yet, the almighty dollar rears it's ugly head when push comes to shove.
Thank goodness for AgingCare.com !!
(0)

Hi Baffled, I'll tell you my situation. My brother and younger sister are my moms' POAS. They decided that mom should only have $1500. in her checking account so that if anything were to happen the state would have to pay for it. So they would put her extra money in Cd's in their names. Then my brother found out he had terminal brain cancer he turned over his power to my sister she decided that she didn't want to deal with all the money so she gave everyone their inheritance now. Mom has a Will, in it , it states that nothing is to be divided until after she is gone. I asked her about it and she said that she could do it. I called the attorney he said she can't. I bought the family home so mom could stay here with me,my sister told my daughter that since I got a good deal on the house that that was my inheritance. So I guess I paid for my own inheritance. So I have no idea what is going to happen after mom passes. Do you what really bothers me most is that everyone has paid off or remodeled their house or bought a car and I'm about ready to lose my home because I can't work because of mom.Oh ya I get $500 a month to take care of mom.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter