Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Gail-my heart goes out to you- you do have too much to deal with-would you be able to get a wound care nurse or a colostomy expert if they even have them any more maybe a home health agency or visiting nurse service could get someone to help-just tell them you want to learn- I am not putting you down or critizing you in any way- I was an LPN and colostomys are very difficult esp. temp ones- sometimes a different product is more succesful than another- I can not imagine you deal with it 24/7 and husbands are harder on their wives than anyone else generally. IT really seems he needs a nursing home or al least rehab short term- there comes a time that things are too much for us to handle- would they changes the times that you get help so some nights you could get a nights sleep- I can take a lot on days but distrub my nights and I become a lunitic. Please come here as often as you are able- we all care about you.
(0)

Austin, listen to yourself, you are so encouraging to everyone, how about you, listen to your doctor please, I know you love your husband but he will have to go to the NH or whoever is going to take care of him when you have the surgery can continue and help you out to don't let your health go to hell in a hand basket because eventually you will have a life to live. Come on you can do it. If you die who is going to take care of your husband? Well, the same people can do it right now. I am praying for us all I feel like tiny tim god bless us everyone
(0)

Neon- thank you actually my back is getting better-less pain and if the next xray is not better I will have the proceedure and we will have an aide come in more for the first few days-thank you for caring about me
(0)

hey everybody, wish i had positive attitude today. I need to let it all out i am tired, tired, tired, mostly mentally. granny chair bound, except for the two steps to the porta pot. calls me for little things all day even at night when she has a sitter at night. she lives in an added part to my house, i go fix her food guess what she has to pee how long does that take 30 minutes i swear i think she does this on purpose she knows i come at the same time everyday. now she is so weak she can't do the leg rest on her chair, she blames the chair but i don't have any trouble. gave her a foot stool she hates it of course. i asked her if she wanted a remote control lift chair. of course she don't bought other recliners in the past she dont like any thing new. well i can't keep buying and exchanging recliners. i can't even leave the house until 7pm not alot of stores open with recliners. this is only a small part the air the heat i am hot i am cold come see what it is set on can you wash my eyeglasses, spray my hair empty the porta pot and she don't even spray lysol (had to buy s pecial small can so she could hold) go over the stink gags me sorry for the bitching i am just tired. no day help at all.
bye Dare
(0)

hi dare,

if she is taking 30 minutes to pee, you might consider taking a urine sample to the doctor. That is not normal and could be a bladder infection which is serious in older people, or indication of another problem.

as far as the smell goes - there are plenty of products you can buy online that can remain in the bathroom without spraying. Hope you give yourself a break soon. It sounds as if you have hit the limit of your endurance....time for cyberhugs from your peers on this board & taking a break outside.
(0)

cat thanks for your words. she is on detrol la a bladder medicine cause she was having to go more often. can't win for losing. she cannot tolerate any plug in or any air freshners she says they irritate her and she is allergic she wouldn't even keep a poinsettia someone gave her for christmas she is afraid of plants and flowers. but she always used lysol my entire 41 years of life. thanks for being here and also for the hugs i send them to you also.
Dare
(0)

Hi All,

The more stories I read, I'm so blown away!!! I've only been taking care of my mom for a little over two months and it was over my head. I have very little or no help from my siblings. So I contacted my local Caregiver Resource Group and received a Grant for Inhome Suppport Care. I couln't do it by myself anymore. My hat is off to you ladies!!! But please, please it's now time to take care of yourself. If you're at the point of dire straits... if your parent is able to live in assisted living it's time!!! You've done your best! I'm not judging but I do believe when your health starts to suffer it's time to do the ultimate. If your health goes down, you want be of help to anyone including yourself, husband and/or children.

The facilitor of my caregiver support said "Caregivers are Angels of Society".
How true it is!!!

There are a few of you that I'm going to say an extra prayer before you health deteriorates any further!!!

Take care of yourselves "Angels"

-Jazzy
(0)

Hi, I am new to the site but have am now not feeling so alone about my situation, I am in my 40's and it seems I have been in this grief and sense of loss deal for the past 6 years. I am the youngest of nine, single mom of two and in a real sad state. For six years my I have been dealing with raising my kids, my sister was ill and then her husband pasted, six months after he pasted she pasted, then the next year my mom was ill, diagnosed with a terminal disease, she pasted three years ago, and I have been assisting my father with his health (dementia) and other everyday issues, started my own business and still find myself having to be there for the rest of the family… I have finally gotten angry and decided it is time to take care of me. I want a life… Seems everyone thinks I am feeling sorry for myself and that my very well be the case, but I don’t care anymore. I feel like I have sacrificed enough. I will not abandon my father, but he is the primary care taker of my disabled brother, I have informed everyone when dad passes I am done. So the remaining 6 siblings will need to step up… I am not one to walk away from someone in need, but I am so down I feel it is the only way to survive… Here’s the clincher… even though I have made this decision… I feel guilty… I know there has to be a solution and have even done some research to the fact. But no one else wants to make any changes… I know they expect me to take care of my brother, but I am thinking of moving out of state just to keep my sanity… any suggestions on how to deal with family that disregards my feelings, and refuses to help… oh by the way I know I brought most of this on myself…as to deal with the siblings is more stressful than doing it myself… just feel beat down and having a hard time picking myself up again… I even feel guilty for doing something for myself.
(0)

Breakdown, for everything that you do, there shouldnt be any guilt. Easier said than done right? I just had this discussion with my mother this afternoon. I asked myself and her "why should i feel guilty?" Neither one of us could come up with an answer. I mean an honest answer. It's not selfish to want or need to get away for a little bit. We get burnt out. We need that time for ourselves to rejuvenate. The person we care for benefits also from it. My mom and I sat in the car when we got home for over an hour and I told her plain and simple. I'm tired. I yell and get upset because this is hard. And it makes it harder when I feel like I can't take care of myself. She said it's not guilt, that I just want to stick her in a home and be done with it. Breakdown, we all know, that if that was true, it would be done already wouldn't it? What do we need to feel guilty over??

I'm finding that siblings is my second worst enemy next to myself. If they dont contribute to the care, then they have no clue what it is like. I told myself to forgive my brother for the way he's been treating me for he doesn't know what it's like. But I can't, because how dare he treat me this way when he doesn't know what it's like. If you say you are done, Breakdown. Then be done. No matter what you say to your siblings, they won't understand. So it's like beating your head against a brick wall. We know that gets us no where.

No where is it written, that we HAVE to do this.
(0)

Thanks KB, I really needed to hear that, because I so desparately want to make them understand, I know you are right, I will continue to assist my dad because I love him, however I have scheduled two trips this year and I am going to go and do what I want on them... FYI I am one of those people who love almost everything, so when I am with others (mostly family) not many friends left... I usually do what they all want to do, i am so excited to get out and away... but this year I have already started putting things back in the hands of others... so thank you again for No where is it written, that we HAVE to do this
(0)

Hi-I was wondering-is there anyone here who works as a caregiver and also takes care of a loved one? I have been an in-home caregiver for 15 years, and within the last 3 years or so, I have had to do more and more for my aging father. I am still working, and lately, with my father currently staying with me, I have been coming home from work and then dealing with him. He's not as bad off as some of the stories I've read, but he is starting to lose his battle with dementia.
I have been considering getting at least some 4 hr daily help. He is with the VA and I believe that they will cover that much care. I guess one of MY problems is-is that I've worked side by side over the years with some AWFUL- and I mean AWFUL caregivers (ones that steal, one's that are lazy, do not feed, bathe or keep the client clean--hell, one even gave the client a live lighter after being repeatedly told not to, and the client set herself on fire!). My biggest fear is dealing with someone like that. I don't want to have this bitchy attitude right from the get-go. Any advice on dealing with these feelings? Yes, some may suggest I take care of my father full time. I also have issues/feelings about that. Like I can handle just so much when dealing with a loved one. It's different somehow to go into a strangers home and care for someone you don't know. With my father, I have known him all my life, an intelligent man who always had an answer for every problem, who could fix anything, who isn't this person that he is slowly becoming--Am I making any sense to anyone.....
(0)

It's totally different caring for your dad than a stranger - even a stranger who turns into a friend. You are smart to recognize that.

I've had other professional caregivers tell me they "know too much," and find it hard to let go and let others care for their own family, but they can't do it either. It's a true catch 22. Either way is tough.

Getting help is a good answer. Can you find an agency where you know some people? Getting references from satisfied family members is probably your best chance at finding some peace with this. Then, you will have to make yourself let go. But you'll also want to do what we all need to do, and that is be aware. Your problem, which you recognize, is being aware without being paranoid. I'm not saying it will be easy, but talking to people you know (in the field) and getting some recommendations may ease your mind.

Good luck with this tough issue and please let us know how you are doing.
Carol
(0)

I do not know about your father's benefits but as far as in home care he has to be bed ridden in order for them to pay. through his insurance if he he receiving retirement there is something called aid and attendance but it only pays out of his retirement plus 271.00. I hope this helps. You have to get your doctor to declare him incompetent and that's no problem if he has dementia. Your Va spokesperson should be able to help you with this. My mother in law gets it through surviving spouse. You sound like you are overwrought, sometimes we need to step back and catch our second wind. You have the right to interview and to talk to people or family this person works for. I would if I had to hire outside help. I watched everything Mom-in-law therapist did with her and if I thought it was to much or not enough or they did handle it right. I spoke up. These people that don't do their job right need to be report. We are these family members protectors. Trust me I am only a daughter-in-law and I have taken on my husbands whole family to protect this woman and her rights and her health her everything.
Hope this helps some.
(0)

beyond, i wouldn't suggest you take care of him full time. if va will help 4 hrs. a day do it. 24 hrs a day is too much for anyone. as time goes by he will require 24 hrs of help get someone now. emotionally its hard taking care of a loved one you watch them decline over time. you need time to take of yourself if only 4 hrs. a day. i wish i had that right now. i am my grannys caregiver but my husband has to care for me i mean the groceries, med, pick our kids up from school sometimes he has to take off of work early because i can't leave the house. granny can't get up and down by herself.(TO the port o pot) she can't even do the leg rest on her chair so i have to run constantly so she don't wet herself. GET HELP NOW
you'll have to pick the sitter carefully as you already know.
(0)

Jazzy1 Thanks for the idea of the Inhome Support Care Grant. I have a friend who is caring for her mom in her home, and I think she would appreciate some help. I can not be of help, as I live 5 hours away.
(0)

Beyond,
I am currently a paid in home caregiver. I know what you mean about working with people who give us a bad name. I quit at a nursing home because of the way things were being done. Could not be a part of that.
One suggestion is, be very clear about what you want, need and expect. You have the right to ask ANY question you want to. If the person is getting uncomfortable or edgy, send them down the road. Make sure they have professional references. Not just personal ones. Family references also.( Family that they worked for in the past.) You can run a background check for a few dollars on the Internet.
The most important thing is follow your gut. If you are uncomfortable in any way do not hire this person. Let them know this is a trial period. Nothing is written in stone.
I often think about my own situation. I was hired simply on the basis of a recommendation of a family friend (their family) and it was 3 weeks before I heard from anyone. Thank God I am honest, trustworthy and have my clients best interest at heart.
My problem is unique in the sense that I can not get the family to participate. What a crazy world we live in.
You will be in my prayers to find the right person, because there are very good caregivers out there, but sometimes hard to find. And just because they are from an agency does not mean they are right for the job.You can call your BBB and see if there have been any complaints against an agency you may be thinking about contacting.
Make a list of the questions you have, and a list of things you want and need done. A Lot of times, the sign of a good one is when they do more than was asked of them. Good Luck and prayers for you. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.
(0)

What is a behavioral interview? Behavioral based interviewing is interviewing based on discovering how the interviewee acted in specific employment-related situations. The logic is that how you behaved in the past will predict how you will behave in the future i.e. past performance predicts future performance.

Traditional Interview vs. Behavioral Interview

In a traditional interview, you will be asked a series of questions which typically have straight forward answers like "What are your strengths and weaknesses?" or "What major challenges and problems did you face? How did you handle them?" or "Describe a typical work week."

In a behavioral interview, an employer has decided what skills are needed in the person they hire and will ask questions to find out if the candidate has those skills. Instead of asking how you would behave, they will ask how you did behave. The interviewer will want to know how you handled a situation, instead of what you might do in the future.
Questions in a Behavioral Interview

Behavioral interview questions will be more pointed, more probing and more specific than traditional interview questions:

# Give an example of an occasion when you used logic to solve a problem.
# Give an example of a goal you reached and tell me how you achieved it.
# Describe a decision you made that was unpopular and how you handled implementing it.
# Have you gone above and beyond the call of duty? If so, how?
# What do you do when your schedule is interrupted? Give an example of how you handle it.
# Have you had to convince a team to work on a project they weren't thrilled about? How did you do it?
# Have you handled a difficult situation with a co-worker? How?
# Tell me about how you worked effectively under pressure.

Follow-up questions will also be detailed. You may be asked what you did, what you said, how you reacted or how you felt.
(0)

Some thoughts for you all to consider:

Lazor has some good information and sample questions. I'd like to throw some opinions out there because unlike most jobs, caregiving is incredibly important, but the candidates are all over the place in terms of why they are CNA's or HHA's. My opinions are based on years of hiring people and specifically what I saw as core skills for aides in eldercare. I have had direct experience with paid caregivers in a SNF when I consulted as business manager for a SNF.

1. How do you feel about the person on first meeting - non verbal cues tell you alot.
2. Before the interview, let them meet your parent (or loved one) - - how the chemistry is will tell you much more than an interview.
3. I usually just chat for a bit - find out about their life and views on certain topics - make them feel at ease and take them out of interview mode.
4. Once they are comfortable you can have the common sense questions - solicit their opinions on how to handle different situations and see what they tell you.
5. After about 30 - 40 minutes the person will have dropped their guard. If they haven't - strike them from the list. You want to interview someone unguarded and un-scripted.
6. Ask them why they want the job? really....if they can't be honest you can't trust them to not surprise you later
7. Ask them about their past & tell them you will be doing livescan / background - is there anything you should know? At that point, they may feel comfortable enough to tell you the real deal in their personal situation.
8. If you feel good enough about them - get some references. Ask them if they are ok if you call one of them right now & pick up the phone.....if they flinch - red flag. Make that call & have a real chat with the refernce. (no one ever expectsthis...and it works) watch their face while you talk to their reference...if it turns out it is a buddy - ask them if there is something they want to tell you. If they have been fired - ask them, it may or may not have been their fault. But anger or unpredictable behaviour will crop up if you push them.....
9. Give them a math and logic test. If they cannot add or spell, you will have a problem down the road. Can what is the decimal for 1/4? Easy or???
10. By this time you already know about the person and then ask them what they think about you and the person they would be taking care of.
if all is ok - invite them back for a paid test day....
Bonus - if your family member or pet doesn't like them - take it as a sign they aren't going to work out.

Most interviewing is intuition and a delicate balance of getting to know the person. Many good people may have a black mark or two - many bad people may come off as perfect. Have fun, you are picking someone who you are trusting with a family member.
(0)

Jazzy, I'd love to know where you live. There should be more of these grants available, and I want to lobby my own state for this. Everyone benefits when any of you let us know how you got some funding for in-home care to help you.

Most of you can find out what your state offers by going on your state Web site and finding "aging resources" or something related. Most often, if you dig, you'll find a phone number and you can talk with someone who can direct you to local funding or respite resources, if they are available. It shouldn't be so hard. Caregiver's are already pushed to the limit. But if we don't look, we won't find what is available. Maybe that is a job a sibling could take on?

Carol
(0)

Now I want to vent some on two things. One everyone should check all medications. After my mother-in-law had been living with us for a while I found that she had thyroid problems and was suppose to be on thyroid meds. Her family dr. said yes she was and prescribed it right away. Then he wanted to take her back off. Meanwhile he had diagnoised her as Alzetimers. I had her revaluated and her dementia is stroke related not Alzetimers. I have fought with her regular dr over her meds on many occassions. Now her memory is so much better even tho she still can not drive or live on her own. Some of these patients are way over medicated.
My next beef is family members: My husband other 2 brothers are so shallow minded that they cant see what a lovely woman this is. I have left that problem to my husband because I can't deal with their stupid ways. They took this womans stuff and had a yard sale and sold things she wanted to keep. They said they talked with an elderly attorney and he recommended it also they talk to a pchyaritrice and said she need closure. They didnt let us know they did this until the poor woman came back here and she told us the next day in tears. I was so angry. Anyway now we have 2 brothers we dont even talk to anymore. One just recently married and she works at a hospital and she thinks she knows everything. It is just frustrating. They don't realize they are losing valuable time with this woman everyday. Oh and the daughter o my god she is a nut case in her self she is a prescription juncky. That explains itself. She has gotten better . She use to call her no lie 6 times a day. I fixed that problem got caller Id so I don't have to talk to her anymore.
Sorry had all this on my chest.
(0)

Lazor, I'm so glad you got it off your chest. Hopefully, it helped you. I know it helped others. These are not unusual problems. The medication one is something everyone needs to be aware of.

The family one - we're all on our own, but suggestions from others, and even just "having company in our misery," is so helpful. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Carol
(0)

Yeah, my world now consists of when my mom peed last. I keep track in a binder since she has had a number of UTI's. She can't remember when she went last either and sometimes is up six to seven times in the night to go. She needs help getting to the bathroom.

Now my cat is sick! So not taking mom to the bathroom, cleaning up cat barf! Poor Kitty. I am of the belief that they can't help it so there is no point in getting angry about it. I do tell my mother she just went to the bathroom and sometimes that helps her and she says she can wait. She really can wait. Her pride is that she doesn't wet bed so every time she slightly wakes up, she thinks she has to pee.

My mother took care of her mother (this must be in our DNA..) and I recall grandma taking laxatives because she didn't "go" everyday. Of course she didn't eat enough to go. I watch my mom's diet so she gets enough fiber foods and if that doesn't work to prune juice does!

I figure my mom changed enough of my diapers so now she gets a return on her investment.

Julie Q
(0)

Julie Q

My mother had a number of (UTIs). Took her in and found that she had a block in a tub going from kidney to blatter. As for stool, with all the pain meds that they take and some others make it hard for them to go. Ask the doctor what would be the best thing for you to use. We used Mirilax (sp). It seemed to be the only thing to help.
Try to take some time for you, I know that it is hard. Remeber good times. Much like our children our parents are growing fast. Lots of Love
(0)

We use Mirilax as well no taste and not harsh. I have taken it as well really good stuff no surprises. UTI here as well. Mom doesn't wipe good so I bought wet wipes that are flushable Im hoping that will help. Can anyone tell me how to get them from flushing pads in toliet mom has done this several times. We ask her and she says she doesn't but we know she does.
(0)

Lazor, when they get absent minded, they don't remember instructions and really don't remember a lot they did. For that flushing problem, put an insert in the commode, such as the catch basin from a potty chair. Or, just put a potty chair over the commode as it is adjustable in height and is much, much easier for the elderly to get up and down. Either way, you'll be doing the flushing, or if they flush, it will just be water going down the drain.
(0)

yep definitly need to get potty chair. Hubby is tired of snake our drain OOOPsy
(0)

Hi Roxie, I understand exactly where you are coming from. I am a person who is very independant to I am 60. i just went to a basketball game with the child I mentor and my soon to be grandson. Well thats another story LOl but I understand how you feel very well. I was talking to a person I work with and she is a doll but she does not understand My mother has moved in with me and has been with me now for 8 years, but I have always taken care of my parents as they couldn't seem to do it themselves. Anyway, I took care of my mother in law, alzheimers, two broken hips, mini strokes, heart disease, and diabetes. What a job it got to the point I finally had to put her in nursing home, God bless her finally her daughter took her out and home with her should have done that in the first place but yes people don't want to be bothered, that was 11 years ago, than I moved my parents to my state three years ago, shortly after my father fell broke his hip and pelvis, in and out of two hospitals five times run run run, finally released two days later back in ER with MRSA IV's every morning for 2 months before I went to work, run and run, My mother is helpless when it comes to doing anything actually the term is called laziness, always been that way. Anyway Dad finally had a stroke and died in May 2007. Mom moved in April 2008 and I get to crying to. But won't let the tears fall, Husband job cut back, have to think for everyone, I am so tired, I've aged ten years in the last two months, lots of health issues. Anyway I went to Doctor and got something for my nerves, it helps most of the time I suggest you talk to your primary care giver. Try to find an outside person to come in and sit with your mom and go window shopping at a mall or call one of those friends and yes Ihad them to if I don't call them I never hear from them, most of mine are out of state and that is convenient for them. Nothing to do one just gets on my nerves and cries about everything including the weather if she was in front of me I'd smack her I've known her since 6th grade and boy what a mess. Anyway I am seem to be venting and giving advice at the same time LOL Find something you like to do crochet, sit on the porch, if you have to wheel your mom out on the porch do so. Mine is so fortunate she can get around, but to hear her talk she is the only person in the world with a back pain, not enough space to list my ailments LOL There is something that you can find to lift your spirits even if its just this site. Find a sense of humor and joke about everything, I do and lots don't like it cuz I'm sarcastic but I think I'm funny and if I laugh its a good thing. Good luck and God Bless Neon
(0)

Well you guys try and I know yall have menapause with all this oh my God!!!!!
(0)

Hey Lazor thats not funny wait till you get there LOL LOL
(0)

I am there! The hot flashes are driving me nuts LOLOLOL
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter