Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
This is great advice, Frank, from the people who come to this site regularly. We can't fix everyone's problems, but knowing others understand what you are going through helps tons. Also, you will find helpful tips as you read.

Keep coming back here to let us know how you are doing.

Take care,
Carol
(0)

wow, how to cool to log on and find out that 3 people wrote me. Thanks. Its nice to interactive relationships.
On the stress issue, I ordered some stuff from the alzheimers association. They are very good about sending free stuff. can give email addressess here? Just in case: they are a non profit and they are alz, dot, org.
Not that the materials helped directly with stress, but it did help educate me to the disease process.
(0)

fbl3rank, i hope your not at the end like me. i am too the point of no return. my life is gone you have to hang in there, before its too late. go to my profile ijust am miserable sorry everybody. ya'll keep hanging on. no help yet. i am sick, sorry to be a bitch, i just can't help it
(0)

Frankklern, dare, all of you - Keep coming back here and venting. Also, please check with your county or someone to see if you can get help for depression, as nearly all caregivers get depressed, and many deeply so. That won't change your situation, but it may help you cope if you get professional counseling/meds (if that is where you are with this, and some of you are).

Do what you must to take care of yourself.
Carol
(0)

Dear frankklern, Welcome. I too am dealing with Alzheimer's in one parent, and dementia in two others. There's lots of good info out there. See the National Institute on Aging (NIA) website, and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (NIH) website for a host of other free publications. They helped me understand a lot in the beginning, and grasp what was happening. There's lots of good info on this site, too. The compassionate community here has been phenomenal. Many heroes here, caring for loved ones. What treasures you are!

Dare, when you come to the end of yourself, God is there. When we can no longer hang on, he carries us. I am sorry to hear you are sick. I pray you ask God to heal and help you. He is better than any drug or psychologist
(0)

Dare, my comment got cut off. Try #2

God is the great Physician and Counselor. He is the one who loves your soul, and will see you through. Praying for your health and heart and strength in the Lord. He sees all and knows all, and is willing to help if we just surrender to him.
(0)

I can relate a lot to what Dare was saying as I was set up with a DUI late last year and I was court ordered to go to a class that is labeling everyone as a "drug addict and/or alcoholic". With my mom being in and out of the hospital for the past two years, I barely had time for a life anyway and now this class is costing me a lot of money. With me being unemployed due to my family situation it is like squeezing blood out of a turnip. So, now I am stuck at home with no life whatsoever and paying out the whazoo for a class I don't need that I can't get a firm answer on the final exit date. I also have an attorney and that isn't cheap either. I already have my plate full with two elderly parents with multiple parents and I don't think a drug addict or alcoholic could handle the job and I really didn't need the additional stress. Caregivers already have stress and I don't think a court ordered endless $120 a day class with no end in sight is the answer and it sure isn't helping my situation and is also stressing my parents out and taking time away from their care. I guess one day they will figure out that I already had other problems and I am an otherwise normal human being with responsibilities that no one seems to understand or be able to help me out with.

Now I have daily struggles begging my mother to get out of bed and getting fussed at every step of the way. I guess this is one of the symptoms of Alzheimers as she seems to sleep most of the time and I don't know whether to scream or cry.

My dad is a sweetheart most of the time although he and I both get frustrated and aggrivated about my mother's condition at the same time, which is hard. He is waiting on my sister-in-law to bring my neice over as they have been in town from Florida for 3 days and have not bothered to come by to visit her grandparents, which also pisses me off as I wasn't brought up to be so disrespectful. I guess they are too busy shopping and going out to eat with my sister-in-law's mother and we are always at the bottom of their priority list when they are is in town.

And people wonder why I am a bitch and have an attitude ....... go figure.....
(0)

mslisadoll, I don't post often, but I do read and keep up with the threads. My mom also has Alzheimers so I do know what you are going through. It sounds like your mom's case must be worse than my mom's as my mom doesn't sleep a lot, but they say it affects a lot of people differently. I'm sorry to hear about your situation, but I will keep you and all the others in my prayers as I know how stressful care-taking can be. I have 9 brothers and sisters, but do you think they could help out more? No, but even though I'm also raising 2 grandkids and watch my niece's daughter everyday, they seem to think I have more time than they do to care for my mom. Mind you, I love her and would do anything for her. That's not the point, but I would like to have a life just like they do. Sorry, I didn't mean to complain. My objective was to comfort you. Just know you can come here and listen to us all rant, but most off all you can rant all you want too. LOL It helps me a lot. Take care.
(0)

You aren't "complaining," Sandi. You are helping us all by telling your story. Keep it up.

Carol
(0)

Thanks Carol. You are so sweet to say that.
(0)

Hi dear friends! I have missed you all! I have not posted for awhile, much too tired. I have been catching up on the reading. I have been soooooo tired, much too tired to even post. Did I mention I was tired? LOL You have a good day all, and take care! Welcome to all the newbies! Talk to you soon. Nauseated (Lisa)
(0)

Hi everyone. I'm new to the site but this certainly seems to be the place for me. My mother had a stroke over 10 years ago and started having issues with dementia. She lost sight in one eye then too. Since then she has broken a hip, then an elbow. I had her diagnosed last year at a wonderful clinic. The doctors said she most likely was dealing with Alzheimers as well. I feel obligated to care for my Mom as long as possible. I say obligated because we've always had a love-hate relationship. When I go to caregiver groups everyone seems so loving and patient that I don't feel like I fit in. Sometimes I want to throw Mom through a window. I do see a therapist and am on anti-depressants which has helped tremendously. She goes to daycare a few days a week too but it's increasing hard to get her to go. What do you do with an adult who refuses to go somewhere?

My older brother and I share a house in AZ (Mom lives with us) but he is dealing with his own issues - very worried about losing his retail job. So he's depressed and not much help. My younger brother lives in SD so he can't help. I retired in 2006 with the anticipation Mom would need more care, but never realized how much harder it would get. They say she is still in the moderate stage, but lately she has been deteriorating quickly. The delusions are more prevalent and the irritability is increasing. Mostly I just wanted to vent .................
(0)

Welcome, IIg! You are at the right place. Love/hate? I have a chapter in my book about one of those relationships, but there are many. You are anything but alone.

I'm so glad you are getting professional help. You will get to a point where you'll have to start looking at a memory unit in assisted living or a nursing home for your mother, for both of your sakes. You can only do this so long.

A lot of people are in very loving relationships with their elders, but a lot of people are afraid they will look bad if they say anything else. When I speak to groups, I give people permission to say that sometimes they hate it all, even if they love the person who was, and I see a lot of nodding heads.

You'll get real honesty here, because people aren't hiding behind propriety. Some in-person groups have people who are very honest, too. However, if you are only hearing lovinig things, it makes me wonder. People are supposed to be in the group to break the isolation and learn they aren't alone - even with negative feelings. Maybe this is a group that is very blessed, and that's wonderful. But, maybe you aren't the only one there with conflicting emotions and depression. You are just the one willing to admit it.

Keep taking care of yourself, and please come back here.
Carol
(0)

llg, welcome to the site. There are so many understanding people here. No matter how bad one person has it, some one will always try to help. Caregivers here continue to care for people they don't even know. Thanks everyone
(0)

Welcome llg,

this is the place to be, you can vent, be encouraging, share your experiences and everyone understands. First and foremost you have to take care of you to be the best care giver you can be and that means your family to and we can't always have things turn out the way we want. My mother refuses to go anywhere except the doctor, the highlight of her life, the bank and to the dollar store for candy. and fun stuff. So be it I thought we would do things to gether but I just chauffer and lug and haul all the crap in and I make her put it away. Or it just sits. Because she doesn't want to do anything except get the mail. She has a fixation on the mail like I care what mail she gets, but I know my mom and she is saying stuff to others that she doesn't want me to know about and hey thats okay, I am not a spy don't want to be a spy and sometimes if you hear stuff about you when you know it isn't true it ticks you off and don't want to go there either. So I just let her do what she wants most of the time, make sure she's fed and clean, warm and goes to her doctors appointments and she doesn't do what they tell her to do either so its just a matter of time.

On a normal note don't forget to SPRING FORWARD THIS WEEK END Oh boy just what we need one less hour of sleep.

Take care everyone Neon
(0)

Thanks so much for your comments. Makes me realize others really do get it.

Carol, according to the Alzheimers clinic here, we should start thinking about a place for Mom, but I am in denial. I guess for me it means we're nearing the end and not something I am ready for yet.

Neon - right there with you on the mail. Mom's obsession is putting the mail in neat little piles everyday. For that matter, that seems to be a general obsession. She lines up everything in my brother's room - drives him crazy. And you should see how she folds and lines up Kleenex in perfect little squares. It helps me to laugh sometimes - the other night she took everything off her bureau and put it in the drawers - she had heard it was going to very windy on the east coast. We live in the AZ desert.
(0)

Wow! You all are going through the same stuff as I am. What a relief it is to know there are others who understand it. My situation is that I live in Florida with my ex-husband, our 15 yer. old daughter, and his 86 yr. old mother. We had to move her out here from Nevada at the end of 2006 and it's all been downhill from there. She has steadily been declining with her hearing, eyesight, mind and worst of all, her bowels. I was wondering how I could get her to wear diapers when she's up and about? She has been very resistant to the idea and I'm going nuts trying to keep up with "poop duty".She has had accidents all over our house and the carpet is pretty much ruined even though I clean it thoroughly every time .
I am already taking medication for depression, anxiety and sleep. I need help. A hospice nurse comes in once a week, but just takes her B.P. and gives her more pills for the diahrea. I've suggested to her son that maybe she should in a nursing home, but he's reluctant to do that because she threatened suicide if he ever did. Now I'm looking into Adult-Day-Care but he doesn't even want try that because it would transporting her all time. I have no friends or relatives in this state to help out. Any one have any suggestions??
(0)

Welcome all newbes you are at the right place we care and share
(0)

hello mother of max,

I hope you will have a good day. I took care of my mother-in-law with Alzheimers and she had the poop thing going on to and the pee thing, if necessary remove all panties from her drawer if she insists on wearing a pair fine but buy some adult pull ups they aren't quite as bulky as they used to be and put them in her drawer and I suggest in the bathroom to if you have room, I also had a small bucket with soapy water under the sink for dirty panties, I don't know about yours but mine would get it everywhere I used to ask her if she was a shit and spin I mean it was on the walls, shower curtain, sink floor, toilet, wall and that was just one bowel movement and as they get older they have more than one believe me. Good luck but Adult day care is not a bad idea and no one should feel guilty about putting a parent in the nursing home they aren't the looney bins they used to be. The ones we have here have all sorts of entertainment and the residents make friends and it really might be good for her like day care for 3 year olds. sometimes they make such good friends that it is good when they start to forget who their family are an don't take that personal if it happens its just part of the disease, watch the notebook, great story. But realistic.
(0)

Thank you so much Neon. I have seen the Notebook and it is an awesome movie. Well, I would hide all her panties from her if she wore them. But alas, she won't wear anything. Sometimes I catch her sitting in the living room butt-naked. Oh Lord, what a site! I am going to keep on my ex-husband about the adult-daycare. Something has to be done soon. Thanks for the input.
(0)

motherofmax, you need to take care of yourself, here. So, her son doesn't want the guilt and bother? Nothing new, there. She's the grandmother of your daughter and you may care greatly about her as a person, but you can't keep doing this. I've been there.

Her suicide threat is something her son needs to forget about. That's a control thing, and it's controlling you, and he's letting it control you. If she needs a nursing home (and it sounds like she does) she will get hospice care there, you can visit as often as you want, but your visits won't be about cleaning carpets, they will be real visits. It will be a much better quality of life for all of you.

Adult day care likely won't take her with her incontinence, at least that's my experience.

Anyway, I think you are being controlled by your ex-husband as he passes the decisions and guilt on to you. Please do something. You are getting medical help for yourself, but you need relief from this and then you can give her the kind of company she really needs from you through your visits.

Carol
(0)

Thanks so much. I totally agree with you. We haven't even had a family outing in over a year now. It's time to have a serious talk with my ex. I want to spend time with my-mom-in-law but I also want to spend time with my daughter and I feel she's been neglected due to this situation. We used to do so many fun things together and I want that back. At least a little anyway. Thanks again Carol and I will take your advice seriously. Have a great day.
(0)

motherofmax
(0)

motherofmax, Not sure what happened - hit the submit button and lost everything I wrote, so I'll try again. I totally understand your frustation. Mom has had bowel incontinence since her stroke over ten years ago. And now that she is struggling with Alzheimers, we can't even convince her to go into the bathroom half the time.

Adult daycare has been a godsend to me. I take Mom 3 days a week, about 6 hrs a day. She fights it, but seems to enjoy the people and activities when she's there. The staff is wonderful. I go to Starbucks, bikeride, see a movie, even go to my doctors when Mom is at daycare. Those 18 hrs are all mine and help maintain what little sanity is left. Believe me, at one point I was suicidal. Please everyone, seek whatever help you need. Don't ever let it get so out of control that you are at risk. It is hard to fight your way back.
(0)

Thanks so much. I'll keep everyone updated on how it goes
(0)

llg great advice! I feel like I'm going to explode right now! I have absolutely no time to myself, not even to sit here and post. I get 15min in the morning and 15min in the afternoon, to take and pick up my daughter from school. Once in a blue moon I might get my husband to actually babysit dad for 1 hr, so I can get some errands ran, and shopping done, but that's it. Then he is on the phone calling me....where are you? When are you going to be back? What's for dinner? WaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaH! The rest of my day is, laundry, laundry, and more laundry, mostly sheets and towels of course. Just when I think I'm getting caught up on my own laundry, oooops! I need to wash more sheets, and towels. Also, the bathroom rugs, and sanitizing the bathroom three times a day, just so none of the other eight people who are here a lot (family) does not get sick. OCD wins again! LOL Is it just me? I feel like such a cry baby again! Nauseated
(0)

Nauseated
(0)

OK, on a completely different subject, I've lost all the text after pressing submit button today - anyone know what I am doing wrong? This is becoming very frustrating...........
(0)

llg, that seems to be a common occurrence. That's something else we all seem to have in common. LOL Are you logged in before posting? It seems to want you to log in before posting. Naus
(0)

Hello, Poor Nauseated, Is there not someone you can have come in and either do some laundry and help out with some of the house chores, take the money out of Dads account. That would bring you a little relief, I told my husband until mom goes his home is not going to be spotless anymore, its a thankless job, I know you have to keep the bath room clean but I don't have to dust and vac I can cook and she can't even put the food leftovers away. How usless a person. and this is my mother but my sister and I always did her housework and I just die everytime she tells me she was such a great housekeeper, when I moved them down from MD I could hardly stand the smell in the house have no clue what it was and don't want to know, so today we go shopping I am thrilled to pieces it takes her three hours, this is my card playing night, after this week her choices are shopping on Tues or Thursdays I am tired of taking my weekends to do her bidding, isn't five days aweek enough, its not like she can't do anything for herself. She sure can feed herself but not anybody else, its all about me me me me. Need to write a song and start singing it MEMEMEME or is that fa so la de do me ??

llg yes you have to log in I usually read the messages log in back space twice and hit refresh than type and submit.

I hope things will change for you soon nauseated, Can he wash himself and feed himself, it might be time for a nursing home I don't mean that to sound cruel but thats what they are there for and as us boomers get older I am sure most of us will end up there, I have decided that if I have to go over to one I am going to take over activities or something and keep them people hopping. LOL
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter