Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Wow! You all are going through the same stuff as I am. What a relief it is to know there are others who understand it. My situation is that I live in Florida with my ex-husband, our 15 yer. old daughter, and his 86 yr. old mother. We had to move her out here from Nevada at the end of 2006 and it's all been downhill from there. She has steadily been declining with her hearing, eyesight, mind and worst of all, her bowels. I was wondering how I could get her to wear diapers when she's up and about? She has been very resistant to the idea and I'm going nuts trying to keep up with "poop duty".She has had accidents all over our house and the carpet is pretty much ruined even though I clean it thoroughly every time .
I am already taking medication for depression, anxiety and sleep. I need help. A hospice nurse comes in once a week, but just takes her B.P. and gives her more pills for the diahrea. I've suggested to her son that maybe she should in a nursing home, but he's reluctant to do that because she threatened suicide if he ever did. Now I'm looking into Adult-Day-Care but he doesn't even want try that because it would transporting her all time. I have no friends or relatives in this state to help out. Any one have any suggestions??
(0)

Thanks so much for your comments. Makes me realize others really do get it.

Carol, according to the Alzheimers clinic here, we should start thinking about a place for Mom, but I am in denial. I guess for me it means we're nearing the end and not something I am ready for yet.

Neon - right there with you on the mail. Mom's obsession is putting the mail in neat little piles everyday. For that matter, that seems to be a general obsession. She lines up everything in my brother's room - drives him crazy. And you should see how she folds and lines up Kleenex in perfect little squares. It helps me to laugh sometimes - the other night she took everything off her bureau and put it in the drawers - she had heard it was going to very windy on the east coast. We live in the AZ desert.
(0)

Welcome llg,

this is the place to be, you can vent, be encouraging, share your experiences and everyone understands. First and foremost you have to take care of you to be the best care giver you can be and that means your family to and we can't always have things turn out the way we want. My mother refuses to go anywhere except the doctor, the highlight of her life, the bank and to the dollar store for candy. and fun stuff. So be it I thought we would do things to gether but I just chauffer and lug and haul all the crap in and I make her put it away. Or it just sits. Because she doesn't want to do anything except get the mail. She has a fixation on the mail like I care what mail she gets, but I know my mom and she is saying stuff to others that she doesn't want me to know about and hey thats okay, I am not a spy don't want to be a spy and sometimes if you hear stuff about you when you know it isn't true it ticks you off and don't want to go there either. So I just let her do what she wants most of the time, make sure she's fed and clean, warm and goes to her doctors appointments and she doesn't do what they tell her to do either so its just a matter of time.

On a normal note don't forget to SPRING FORWARD THIS WEEK END Oh boy just what we need one less hour of sleep.

Take care everyone Neon
(0)

llg, welcome to the site. There are so many understanding people here. No matter how bad one person has it, some one will always try to help. Caregivers here continue to care for people they don't even know. Thanks everyone
(0)

Welcome, IIg! You are at the right place. Love/hate? I have a chapter in my book about one of those relationships, but there are many. You are anything but alone.

I'm so glad you are getting professional help. You will get to a point where you'll have to start looking at a memory unit in assisted living or a nursing home for your mother, for both of your sakes. You can only do this so long.

A lot of people are in very loving relationships with their elders, but a lot of people are afraid they will look bad if they say anything else. When I speak to groups, I give people permission to say that sometimes they hate it all, even if they love the person who was, and I see a lot of nodding heads.

You'll get real honesty here, because people aren't hiding behind propriety. Some in-person groups have people who are very honest, too. However, if you are only hearing lovinig things, it makes me wonder. People are supposed to be in the group to break the isolation and learn they aren't alone - even with negative feelings. Maybe this is a group that is very blessed, and that's wonderful. But, maybe you aren't the only one there with conflicting emotions and depression. You are just the one willing to admit it.

Keep taking care of yourself, and please come back here.
Carol
(0)

Hi everyone. I'm new to the site but this certainly seems to be the place for me. My mother had a stroke over 10 years ago and started having issues with dementia. She lost sight in one eye then too. Since then she has broken a hip, then an elbow. I had her diagnosed last year at a wonderful clinic. The doctors said she most likely was dealing with Alzheimers as well. I feel obligated to care for my Mom as long as possible. I say obligated because we've always had a love-hate relationship. When I go to caregiver groups everyone seems so loving and patient that I don't feel like I fit in. Sometimes I want to throw Mom through a window. I do see a therapist and am on anti-depressants which has helped tremendously. She goes to daycare a few days a week too but it's increasing hard to get her to go. What do you do with an adult who refuses to go somewhere?

My older brother and I share a house in AZ (Mom lives with us) but he is dealing with his own issues - very worried about losing his retail job. So he's depressed and not much help. My younger brother lives in SD so he can't help. I retired in 2006 with the anticipation Mom would need more care, but never realized how much harder it would get. They say she is still in the moderate stage, but lately she has been deteriorating quickly. The delusions are more prevalent and the irritability is increasing. Mostly I just wanted to vent .................
(0)

Hi dear friends! I have missed you all! I have not posted for awhile, much too tired. I have been catching up on the reading. I have been soooooo tired, much too tired to even post. Did I mention I was tired? LOL You have a good day all, and take care! Welcome to all the newbies! Talk to you soon. Nauseated (Lisa)
(0)

Thanks Carol. You are so sweet to say that.
(0)

You aren't "complaining," Sandi. You are helping us all by telling your story. Keep it up.

Carol
(0)

mslisadoll, I don't post often, but I do read and keep up with the threads. My mom also has Alzheimers so I do know what you are going through. It sounds like your mom's case must be worse than my mom's as my mom doesn't sleep a lot, but they say it affects a lot of people differently. I'm sorry to hear about your situation, but I will keep you and all the others in my prayers as I know how stressful care-taking can be. I have 9 brothers and sisters, but do you think they could help out more? No, but even though I'm also raising 2 grandkids and watch my niece's daughter everyday, they seem to think I have more time than they do to care for my mom. Mind you, I love her and would do anything for her. That's not the point, but I would like to have a life just like they do. Sorry, I didn't mean to complain. My objective was to comfort you. Just know you can come here and listen to us all rant, but most off all you can rant all you want too. LOL It helps me a lot. Take care.
(0)

I can relate a lot to what Dare was saying as I was set up with a DUI late last year and I was court ordered to go to a class that is labeling everyone as a "drug addict and/or alcoholic". With my mom being in and out of the hospital for the past two years, I barely had time for a life anyway and now this class is costing me a lot of money. With me being unemployed due to my family situation it is like squeezing blood out of a turnip. So, now I am stuck at home with no life whatsoever and paying out the whazoo for a class I don't need that I can't get a firm answer on the final exit date. I also have an attorney and that isn't cheap either. I already have my plate full with two elderly parents with multiple parents and I don't think a drug addict or alcoholic could handle the job and I really didn't need the additional stress. Caregivers already have stress and I don't think a court ordered endless $120 a day class with no end in sight is the answer and it sure isn't helping my situation and is also stressing my parents out and taking time away from their care. I guess one day they will figure out that I already had other problems and I am an otherwise normal human being with responsibilities that no one seems to understand or be able to help me out with.

Now I have daily struggles begging my mother to get out of bed and getting fussed at every step of the way. I guess this is one of the symptoms of Alzheimers as she seems to sleep most of the time and I don't know whether to scream or cry.

My dad is a sweetheart most of the time although he and I both get frustrated and aggrivated about my mother's condition at the same time, which is hard. He is waiting on my sister-in-law to bring my neice over as they have been in town from Florida for 3 days and have not bothered to come by to visit her grandparents, which also pisses me off as I wasn't brought up to be so disrespectful. I guess they are too busy shopping and going out to eat with my sister-in-law's mother and we are always at the bottom of their priority list when they are is in town.

And people wonder why I am a bitch and have an attitude ....... go figure.....
(0)

Dare, my comment got cut off. Try #2

God is the great Physician and Counselor. He is the one who loves your soul, and will see you through. Praying for your health and heart and strength in the Lord. He sees all and knows all, and is willing to help if we just surrender to him.
(0)

Dear frankklern, Welcome. I too am dealing with Alzheimer's in one parent, and dementia in two others. There's lots of good info out there. See the National Institute on Aging (NIA) website, and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (NIH) website for a host of other free publications. They helped me understand a lot in the beginning, and grasp what was happening. There's lots of good info on this site, too. The compassionate community here has been phenomenal. Many heroes here, caring for loved ones. What treasures you are!

Dare, when you come to the end of yourself, God is there. When we can no longer hang on, he carries us. I am sorry to hear you are sick. I pray you ask God to heal and help you. He is better than any drug or psychologist
(0)

Frankklern, dare, all of you - Keep coming back here and venting. Also, please check with your county or someone to see if you can get help for depression, as nearly all caregivers get depressed, and many deeply so. That won't change your situation, but it may help you cope if you get professional counseling/meds (if that is where you are with this, and some of you are).

Do what you must to take care of yourself.
Carol
(0)

fbl3rank, i hope your not at the end like me. i am too the point of no return. my life is gone you have to hang in there, before its too late. go to my profile ijust am miserable sorry everybody. ya'll keep hanging on. no help yet. i am sick, sorry to be a bitch, i just can't help it
(0)

wow, how to cool to log on and find out that 3 people wrote me. Thanks. Its nice to interactive relationships.
On the stress issue, I ordered some stuff from the alzheimers association. They are very good about sending free stuff. can give email addressess here? Just in case: they are a non profit and they are alz, dot, org.
Not that the materials helped directly with stress, but it did help educate me to the disease process.
(0)

This is great advice, Frank, from the people who come to this site regularly. We can't fix everyone's problems, but knowing others understand what you are going through helps tons. Also, you will find helpful tips as you read.

Keep coming back here to let us know how you are doing.

Take care,
Carol
(0)

Welcome Frank,
You will find this sight to be a "sanity keeper". You are doing an amazing job, but it is very hard under the best of circumstances. You will find a lot of good suggestions and support here.
Can you get someone to come in a few hours everyday? I don't know if you have facilities where you live that can help with that, but you can contact local organizations, even churches can help sometimes. Does your support group have information for respite care?
We all know how tired you are and it takes energy to find help, but it will help you in the long run. Let us know more about your situation, and what we can do to help. You must take care of yourself, and we will help in any way we can. Let us hear from you. God Bless
(0)

Hi Frank,

I see from your profile that you are the main person caring for your mom. There are many people who are in the same situation, and being the primary caregiver for a mom with Alzheimers is extremely wearing. There is no magic bullet for stress, but many of us have found that chatting on this board helps. I hope you will let us know what specifically is going on with you and anything else you would care to share with us.

Speaking for myself, when I found this site I spent alot of time just reading others stories and following their posts - it was amazing to find so many people who understood and were going through similar challenges. I found I could ask anything, and eventually I found a safe place to shake off the burden and stress for even a few minutes. We all have different tips - you might want to browse posts and see what resonates with you. Or if you care to share more, we can make suggestions. There are family caregivers and a couple of professional caregivers who bring amazing perspective to the subject. The moderator, and writers all are amazing and nothing surprises them - so if you would like to post to a specific person's private wall you can do so.

Welcome to the club. I hope being here helps

Cat
(0)

keep comiing here you will get help
(0)

As my mom gets worse, I find that I am having a hard time coping. The stress is wearing me out. My support group only meets once month, and using adult day care is only once a week on our budget. Any ideas?
(0)

Welcome madyankie, and thanks to you other intelligent sensitive ladies, as well. What a blessing you ALL are! Thank you.
(0)

Hi Madyankie,

Welcome friend. Not only do you fit right in; you have brought up an issue that we all think about as caregivers. It doesn't matter whether your experience is family, professional, or both. We are all mortal and what you are so thoughtfully bringing up today is something we will all face at some point in our lives. I am very touched at how thoughtful and gentle you were in describing your situtation and the fact that you are looking for a sounding board, support and other viewpoints on how to approach both your own decline and the reactions of your children and grandchildren. Just reading your first post has given me insights and a sense that if you can handle it, so can I.

Coincidently I had been doing some reading on intentional communities while mulling over the issue of my own mortality. The conversation you have started echos that of others who have chosen to be self-directed. I guess caregiving is a double edged sword - we give tirelessly to care for others, and in doing so have our eyes opened to our own future, and the possible behaviour of our family members when it is our turn. Perhaps in the end though, it is a blessing in disguise - we can accept what is with grace, and choose to be proactive in areas that are now still under control.

Madyankee - thank you so much for being so open with a problem that will help us all plan too.
(0)

When I lived in IL, I used to play the piano for nursing home patients weekly. I have seen alzheimers patients who could sing words to old songs but could not converse with anyone. I used to have one lady who was ready to dance when she saw me coming. The nurses were afraid she'd fall! Music is a good thing. Since my business is music, I know the true value of it in our lives. If it were not for music, books, & old movies, my husband's life would be miserable.
(0)

It's good to hear from a person who is facing real problems. I cared for my dad along with nurses
(0)

Mandy you are more than welcome- Lindam has been a great part of this site and you will be also. To those who posted about music if you can get some songs from the 30s and 40s to play for your parents it might make a difference. I was visiting my husband one night and a lady from recation at the nursing home was singing some old songs and one of the pts. a retired doc who hardly knew his own name sang every word of the song and I just stood there and was amazed by it. and I had seen it other times the pts. who were in bad shape would remember the words and sing along even those who did not ever get involved with others.
(0)

madyankee,
Welcome to this sight. I feel I really have someone to identify with(besides Cat, she's my cyber-bud!), because you and I have been or will be on both sides of that fence.
I am currently a paid caregiver after taking care of my dad for 8 years. And have recently been talking to my son about the very things you are addressing. I posted once, that we do not talk about these things with our parents or them with us, so there is a lot of confusion, resentment, ect.
I applaud you for thinking about your children and what they may have to witness, or help you with. The bottom line is....what do you want to do? Stay with family until you and them know it is time for assisted living or a nursing home? Do your children know what they will be asked to do?
No, it is not a very happy subject, but we all have to do it some time or other.
And we did and do get to see what the families go thru when hired aid comes in.God Bless you for thinking of your children and I pray a good outcome for everyone. Thank you for sharing....
Your children may be uncomfortable with this conversation, but give yourself and them the credit they will understand you are thinking ahead and trying to make things as easy as possible on everyone, yourself included. Let us know what happens.
(0)

You are very welcome here. Indeed, you will be valuable to us all. I, too, see my children go into denial. I'm around your age, without as severe disabilities but I do have RA. Kids hate to think of a parent who can't do what they could. It's really hard for them (no matter what their age). If I talk about my declining years, even though they know I make a living studying and writing about this, they quickly change the subject. Mom is not going to grow old or frail!

So, please keep coming back You belong here and your wisdom will be welcome.

Carol
(0)

I hope you will not feel I am intruding on this but I need your help. I was a geriatric caregiver- so I can give some input. I Have a disease which has put me in a wheelchair but after three years of hard work, I walked again. I did that on my own without my children's help. That was 15 years ago but my body is giving in to the desease again. I am presently ill enough that I have to live with my children, but not ill enough to be a burden yet. To help them and feel good about myself, I do the housework, babysit, yardwork, whatever helps them and it makes me feel like I am contributing, I also contribute financially. I am presently about to celebrate my 63rd birthday.
I need help to prepare my children for what is to come. I need help to make it as easy on them as possible. They did not get to see the worst of my experience before, just what I considered the easiest parts and some freaked, some denied it was happening. They knew I had trouble walking basically. I need to know the problems you face when it is your family you are caring for. I cared for strangers.
I want them to be able to keep their lives, and not get too upset. I know they will get uspet some but I want to keep it as minimal as possible.
So is it ok for me to be here?
Also, I know about the crying, I used to let their children vent to me which helped them but I also hugged and held them and let them cry. A few I talked into hugging and holding the family member, telling them I love you so much and cry. So many times it made it family member feel better and the geriatric patient feel needed and useful. Even very ill people need this and can give love and comfort.
Please try it for both of you.
(0)

Welcome, Marna. Please keep coming back for the support of these wonderful people.

You are right that we all just have today. You mentioned early grieving. I am so glad you recognize that. People often aren't aware they are grieving, as our society "tells us" we grieve at the death of a loved one. Well, we grieve even more as we watch their decline. It's exhausting mentally, physically and emotionally. You are doing well in trying to take care of yourself. That's so hard, when you likely just want to sit and cry.

Not needing to know how he is every moment is good. It's part of detaching with love. You know you are doing all you can, and you can't "fix" this.

Blessings to you. We'll watch for updates.
Carol
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter