Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
I have to find the title. I will write it after I look it up.

It’s a book written by a Christian, Jew and Muslim about Moses and other common threads.

I heard an interview with one of the authors. Sounds intriguing. He said that they agreed on 98% of things. The other 2% were minor issues.

I am planning to order it.
(0)

I am reading "Revealing the Mysteries of Heaven" by David Jeremiah... for the ones who believe in Heaven, I want to know as much as I can. When it comes time for Daddy to go to Heaven with Jesus, my heart is rest assured... 🙏😇💙
(4)

I have just taken delivery of a lovely little book called”Making Winter” by Emma Mitchell. It is full of small craft and baking projects to lift the mood, with an emphasis on nature and the outdoors. I shall use it to get through the coming gloomy months of Covid, lockdowns and worrying about my son who is about to leave home and go to Uni for the first time and who faces the prospect of being confined to his room for much of the time if our UK Government decide to ban students from coming home for Christmas. I think we treat prison inmates better than that in this country. Sorry for the rant but I am beginning to feel quite unhinged!
(1)

cwille,

Thanks. Guess I will start reading it and put it down if I don’t like it.
(0)

I tend to read books by female authors and/or with female protagonists that focus as much or more on developing the character than on the mystery. There are exceptions - C J Box comes to mind - but it's harder to find men who write in the style I'm interested in.
(2)

cwille,

Have you read anything by David Baldacci? My daughter’s boyfriend bought ‘The Fallen’ and gave it to me to read. I haven’t started it yet.

He loved reading it. Says it’s very suspenseful.
(0)

Garden Artist, it is just known as 5. I imagine the series will be available abroad at some point - maybe on Netflix perhaps?
(0)

I was up until the wee hours with the 5th book of Jacqueline Winspear's Maisie Dobbs series, I'm looking forward to finishing it tonight.
A series summary from Goodreads - "In 1929 London, former servant Maisie Dobbs starts her own business as a psychologist and investigator in this unique and gripping historical mystery series"
(1)

Christcat, thanks for the clarification.   Do you know if there's a name for that Channel 5?   Our channels in this area are all named; there is no channel 5 at all.

I'll keep looking though.

CWillie, thanks for that great news!    I'll be watching for the 2021 series of All Creatures Great and Small.  In the meantime, I'm trying to remember where the rest of Herriot's books are; I can only find one.    Lately I've been wondering where  a lot of books I haven't read in decades are now hiding.
(1)

Re: Monarch of the Glen TV series, yes it's quite old, but since the setting is a quite traditional view of Scottish aristocratic life, it hasn't really got dated. Think of a large draughty Scottish castle, plenty of tweed and striding around heather and grouse moors in plus fours and you've got it! Nothing wrong with a stereotypical view of life as a Scottish Laird and it's a nice bit of escapism!!
(1)

It looks like All Creatures Great and Small is coming to PBS in 2021 for anyone who is interested.
(3)

So I had to check on Father Brown, this isn't the first time he has come up. The show is on PBS here, of course back seasons, but that doesn't matter. Also available on YouTube for a fee and Amazon Prime also a fee. Will have to check on the books to see what is available. Might have to use my Kindle for something other than reading here. Lately, I just am not sure about "here" anymore.
(2)

Christcat, thanks for that clarification.    I will try again.  I'd love to be able to enjoy Herriot's charming description of the Dales and his adventures with animals.

It's also tremendously inspiring - I admire anyone who chooses a medical profession, especially one treating animals, and who makes him or herself available 24/7 to help suffering creatures in need.

It also makes me think of being tougher.    Birthing a calf or sheep in the middle of a blizzard requires a lot of strength and perseverance.

Pam, I haven't heard of that series.   

I think one of the problems is the area in which I live.   Choices of tv programs seem to be very specific, and generally lousy.    My sister in a more upscale area had options for French and German programs, within the general channel lineup.   Here they cost extra.    The general lineup includes those tacky personal programs of attention oriented wanna bees with what I consider garish lifestyles.  
(1)

Well since we got off books and onto TV.. LOL On PBS there is a great older series sometimes, called Monarch of the Glen.. It is set in the rural Britain ( or Scotish?) countryside,, and is cute and funny. I love it when I can get it,, or try if the library has the DVDs?
(0)

Garden Artist, just for the record, it's not a BBC channel, it's just called Channel 5. Good luck and hope you can track the series down!
(0)

Chriscat83, thanks for that great info!   I've just done some checking and it doesn't appear as if we'll be able to get the BBC Channel 5 locally, but I'm going to call the cable company (about 3 am in the morning so I don't have to wait several minutes for their response!) and ask about it.

Thanks for sharing that.   I'm really feeling myself drawn to the Dales just from thinking about Herriot's masterful tales of being a veterinarian in that area.
(1)

GardenArtist, it just so happens that a brand new TV series of James Herriot has recently started on UK Channel 5. The landscape and gentleness of the setting and stories are lovely. Maybe they will be available at some point for you. From my posts on this I sound as though I do nothing but watch TV! Not true, but as the Autumn nights are closing in, a good drama is always welcome!
(2)

CWillie, you're SO organized!   I'm impressed.  

Loved your comment about bare chested men.   I also often judge a book by its cover, defying the adage not to.    The bare chested men and breathless women are good clues that it's not a story I want to read.

I'm just finishing The Flight Girls, about the WASPS.  This is the third read, and I'll probably read it again later.  

This morning as I was looking over my book collection, I spied a James Herriot novel.  It's been years, if not decades, since I read his delightful adventures of being a vet in the Yorkshire Dales, so it's time to reread one of his books again.  They're so relaxing, and he had such a way of describing veterinary practice that I was always entertained (and glad that I never wanted to be a vet for large animals in cold winter areas.)
(2)

I have spent an enjoyable morning cross referencing the overdrive catalogue, goodreads, and then searching my (dysfunctional) cloud library for the same books. I've been able to bookmark several that look interesting and I managed to score the new Mary Russel book by Laurie R King and will revisit J. A. Jance's Joanna Brady series that I lost track of several years ago. I know it is said that you can't judge a book by the cover but I very much do, for example if I see a young woman in the arms of a bare chested man I'm pretty sure what kind of mystery is inside - no thanks.
(3)

Golden, good to hear you are enjoying the Father Brown TV series too! I am hoping for a new series in January, which is when they usually come out. Last year my husband was on a train out of London heading home and found himself in a carriage full of Father Brown actors rehearsing their lines on the way to a series shoot. He was delighted!!
(2)

Chriscat83 - Love Father Brown. I have read all the stories and watched many episodes on TV. I am in Canada and we get then here from time to time.
The scenery is part of the attraction for me for series set in Britain. I lived there for some years and really enjoy seeing it again on TV.

Just starting the Bulldog Drummond section of my Great British Detectives.
(2)

Rage by Bob Woodward
(4)

Alva,

Great suggestion! I know a couple of people that I could give that book to as a birthday gift! LOL. Eh, may not exactly be a welcome gift though.
(0)

Others are reading to me at the moment. We have a local radio station for the blind. Many sighted people like myself tune in as well.

The read bestseller fiction and non fiction books daily, along with newspapers, magazines and medical journals.
(1)

Cwillie, I bought an e-reader some years ago... But I still buy paper books... I like bookshops ;-) to save space and money I also borrow books from the library and we exchange books with my colleagues.
(2)

Two word Anche - digital books.
I'm so cheap I get a library copy, and if I'm quick without having to wait.
(1)

I have just finished a book by an Italian writer. I think the book has been translated into English, the title I suppose has been translated literally : the temptation of being happy.
I will now start a historical novel about Venice. Iam also waiting for the 5th volume of Robert Galbraith. I have read the first four in English. I know it was released on the 15th September but I will wait for the paper back edition to become a little bit cheaper.
(0)

Just Finished Clutter, an Untidy History, about a woman who goes home to take care of her Mom's hoarded mess. A history of Hoarding. Quite good. Recommend it.
(2)

Golden, interesting you mentioned Father Brown in an earlier post. In the UK we’ve had about 5 or 6 seasons of Father Brown dramas on TV over the past few years. They are excellent if you like the books. Not sure if the programmes are available in the US but worth a look. We love them as they are filmed very close to where we live, so enjoy recognising the locations. In terms of books, I’m working my way through the booklist of Persephone Books, a small publishing house focusing mostly on female writers (UK and Us) from about 1900 to 1980. Fascinating social history from the various period settings.
(1)

Still plugging away at my Great British Detectives and thoroughly enjoying them, but, speaking of Ruth and Rosa, I found a new Armand Gamache book that was recently released. I bought it and am saving it for when I finish what I am reading now. 😊😊😊
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter