Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Love Ruth and her pet duck Rosa.
(4)

This is my second Louise Penny book. I'm enjoying so far.😊
(5)

Daughter of 1930,

I looked up the book you mentioned. After what I've seen in life, read in books and learned from others, I'm not surprised by anything anymore.
(3)

Educated by Tara Westover, a memoir about growing up in a religiously zealot, abusive family where there was little education or contact with the world. I’m kinda doubting the truth of some of the author's tales....some seem extremely improbable
(0)

Bookstand picks: 1) Legends Of The Wild West - True Tales Of
Rebels & Heroes
2) Life-100 People Who Changed The World
3) The US Presidents - Best And Worst Of All
Times
#1 and #3 published by Centennial Media
#2- is by Merideth Corporation

Multiple waits in the car and other distancing routines plus medical offices devoid of any reading materials - including pharmaceutical brochures - I decided short stories about the famous and infamous of all time fits into the distancing routine.

I'm still in search of a current and past cartoon magazine of all times.
(1)

Love the Gamache series by Louise Penny and have read them all. I grew up in that general area though a bit west of Montreal and lived in Montreal for a couple of years.

I have finished the Father Brown series and am now into another mystery series by  R. Austin Freeman featuring John Thorndyke as the medical legal expert. The $1.99 for the Great British detectives was very well spent. I have been through all of Holmes (Doyle) Father Brown (Chesterton) and am well into Thorndyke and only half way through the ebook.
(5)

I just love Louise Penny; on our way back from Quebec last summer we took a long detour in order to go and have lunch at the restaurant that may have served as a model for the bistro featured in her books.
(5)

I just started a new book. "A Better Man" by Louise Penny
(4)

Reading "Why? because your anointed." By T.D Jakes
(2)

Reading Dr. Leslie Kernisan on recent B-12 deficiency blog.
(1)

Nah, Barb, I reckon you’re just fantasising about the ‘little pin (that) bores through the castle wall’. A lot of people on this site could do with one!
(0)

I'm reading the National Enquirer, because .. who cares anyway. It's like eating popcorn.. it tastes sort of good, but not filling or nutritional.

I'm also reading corona tests, observations ..to see the 'experts' either lie or be wrong. We probably All have been exposed. Reality bites ...
(2)

Richard II
"Impartial are our eyes and ears:
Were he my brother, nay my kindgdom's heir.
As he is but my father's brother's son,
Now by my scepter's awe, I make a vow.
Such neighborhood nearness to our scared blood
Should nothing privilege him, nor partialize
The unstooping firmess of my upright soul:
He is our subject, Mowbray; so art thou;
Free speech and fearless I to thee allow"
Henry II, Shakespeare.
(3)

I'm reading through Vatta's War, a fun SF series by Elizabeth Moon. I've been rationing them so I have something on my wish list to look forward to.
(1)

The Last Closet: The Dark Side of Avalon by Moira Greyland

I love true stories based on a person's life. This story has a very rough beginning with a very good and true ending which I've heard is there, but I have not finished reading it yet. She writes not as a victim of what she lived through but for those whose lives has been like her's and offering them hope.

It is the autobiography of the daughter of Walter H. Breen and Marion Zimmer Bradley. However, it is not for the faint of heart.
(2)

Richard II, Shakespeare. Because in case you don't all already realize it, I'm a real nerd.
(5)

The Lincoln Conspiracy by Brad Meltzer: covers the 1860 election, the post election period (Nov 1860 - Mar 1861) where southern states are succeeding, and the plan to assassinate Lincoln as he passes through Baltimore on his way to his first inauguration is implement.

Lincoln was the first "outsider" from the new Republican party elected President in a four way race where he garnered less than 40% of the popular vote. I was particularly stuck by all the name calling and negative press; times don't seem to change much since every attack on Lincoln's appearance and character has been repeated on Trump 160 years later.

If you enjoy history written more as a detective story with lots of details on personalities around the main character, this is a wonderful read.
(1)

It's ok Margaret, nice really!
(1)

OK!
(1)

Good for you, Margaret!
And thanks for sharing the humor around.
(1)

I hope you don't mind, Sendhelp, I've just reposted it to the Jokes thread.
(2)

Due to the Stay-at-home order. I finished 3 books yesterday,

and believe me, that's a lot of coloring.
(7)

GA, After Sundown by Linda Howard and Linda Jones was published in hardcover Mar 31, 2020. I doubt the research on solar events and survivalist living could have been done in the 4-6 weeks after the coronavirus gained attention in mid January for a hardcover release so I don't think this one was virus inspired/motivated. Like you, I expect there will be some.
(0)

I am reading through the Joanne Fluke murder mysteries. They are very good.
(2)

TNTechie, was the novel written/published before the Coronavirus pandemic? I'm curious b/c I anticipate that a series of climactic or governmentally dystopian novels and movies will be produced later this year, and mass catastrophic events will be featured as the events which tip civilized society toward or over the brink.
(1)

My kobo glo has died. I tried a factory reset, twice. Nothing. 😥 I know that at 10 years (or more) it is ancient, but...
I guess I'll have to read on my desktop for now 😣
(1)

Just finished a Linda Howard romance framed within a solar event, a Coronal Mass Ejection or CME, that takes down the power grid in large areas of the globe for over a year. The setting for the story is rural Wears Valley in Sevier County, TN - one of the most beautiful places on this earth. The total breakdown of "government" and infrastructure within a few days and how the Wears Valley community implements a new self government is an interesting story line, although Howard clearly doesn't appreciate the true mix of former military, small farmers (with their fuel tanks) and firearms actually present in the real valley. Still a very interesting read.
(1)

I'm just getting into Viola Shipman's books. Almost done with The Summer Cottage and looking forward to getting the next one when the libraries around here open back up!
(0)

Daughter and cw - both your books look good. So many books to read, so little time...

I'm still working my way through The Great British Detectives, and am well into the Father Brown series by G.K Chesterton. I like the character of Father Brown in these short stories but am kind of missing longer tales.
(0)

I'm half way through the new stand alone book What Rose Forgot by Nevada Barr. Rose shares some of the superwoman characteristics of Barr's Anna Pigeon but if you are willing to suspend your eye rolls and disbelief at her physical prowess it's a wonderful read, this author really knows how to create a characters/reader bond.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter